Skip to main content

Notice

Please note that most of the software linked on this forum is likely to be safe to use. If you are unsure, feel free to ask in the relevant topics, or send a private message to an administrator or moderator. To help curb the problems of false positives, or in the event that you do find actual malware, you can contribute through the article linked here.
Topic: Does anyone have experience with M-Disc CDs / DVDs / Blurays? (Read 1750 times) previous topic - next topic

Does anyone have experience with M-Disc CDs / DVDs / Blurays?

This kinda technology has kinda been in the shadows (since ~2009), and to be honest, I've only heard of it a year ago or so.

So the idea behind M-Disc, is that actual holes are burned through the metallic layer, instead of turning them a darker shade as it is with regular CD-Rs.

Supposedly, this simplified construction (quite similar to the old red-book CDs), is supposed to have a greater longevity, and be read-compatible with any existing players. The biggest drawback, seems to the fact that you need a special recorder, and the fact that they're pretty expensive.

Has anyone ever tried them? Are they really compatible with existing players (drives)? I might be in a situation where I might need an optical drive, soon. I thought about getting one that can record on M-Discs, and perhaps use those instead of regular CD-Rs from now on. Sure, they're more expensive, but I record on CD-Rs so rarely, that I might as well get the newer technology thingymagic.

ref.: https://enwp.org/M-DISC