Skip to main content

Notice

Please note that most of the software linked on this forum is likely to be safe to use. If you are unsure, feel free to ask in the relevant topics, or send a private message to an administrator or moderator. To help curb the problems of false positives, or in the event that you do find actual malware, you can contribute through the article linked here.
Topic: Suggestions on codec for large .ram rips? (Read 3239 times) previous topic - next topic

Suggestions on codec for large .ram rips?

Over a long period of time I have recorded a lot of lectures from a .ram streaming source and the resulting wav files are extremely large (250 - 560 MB). Obviously this is rapidly filling up my hard drive. I want to encode these lectures, but I am not sure what kind of codec I should use. The original .ram sources varied in quality (some were about 42kBits, others 170kBits on average). The "original" waves are not perfect to my ears. The worst ones have artifacts like "metallic" noise and a noticeable echo-like hiss on speech. The better of them kind of sounds like listening to a radio.

Size is my first priority, but I don't want to make it sound even worse than it already is. As an experiment I tried to encode a file using MP3Pro 40Kbit 44.100 stereo. The result was horrible. Then I tried 80kBit and this was satisfying in terms of quality expected. Is it possible to get a similar result but a smaller file size using another codec? As I understand it, different codecs have their advantages on different levels of compression.

Reply #1
If they're primarily speech, you can use a speech specific codec.  Speex seems to be popular in that category right now.
I am *expanding!*  It is so much *squishy* to *smell* you!  *Campers* are the best!  I have *anticipation* and then what?  Better parties in *the middle* for sure.
http://www.phong.org/

Reply #2
I just tried it at default quality 8. It actually produces more "noise" than MP3Pro at roughly the same size. Maybe it somehow enhances the artifacts already present in the source? Thanks anyway.

Reply #3
I just tried it at default quality 8. It actually produces more "noise" than MP3Pro at roughly the same size. Maybe it somehow enhances the artifacts already present in the source? Thanks anyway.

Just a note, Speex is not really designed for use at 44.1 kHz. You might want to try it at 16 kHz mono, in which case you'll get transparent quality at 28 kbps (or maybe even lower).

Reply #4
Thanks.