Skip to main content

Notice

Please note that most of the software linked on this forum is likely to be safe to use. If you are unsure, feel free to ask in the relevant topics, or send a private message to an administrator or moderator. To help curb the problems of false positives, or in the event that you do find actual malware, you can contribute through the article linked here.
Topic: Download ASIO for foobar here (Read 13628 times) previous topic - next topic

Download ASIO for foobar here

foo_output_asio

I'm not sure if this has been mentioned before but here it is. It's from the same guy who did ASIO for winamp.

Reply #1
Can anyone do a simple test?
http://www.aikis.or.jp/~otachan/foo_output...ut_asio_005.zip

Install it and select ASIO as output.
1. Load one song to the playlist.
2. Disable all stuff in "Plaback" (repeat, shuffle, repat one etc.)
3. Start playing the song. Seek to the end of it.

Does it crash?

Reply #2
Does it crash?

No! (foobar2000 v 0.51)

Reply #3
Doesn't crash for me, but it rarely works, and kX ASIO debug info reports that it's leaking (a whole 8 bytes of) memory. Also, even though status shows that it's buffering ~700ms of audio, it pauses when I minimize certain applications. Back to KS, I don't really need this thing anyway.

Reply #4
I plugged my Audigy back to recheck this.
Doesn't crash.
Hmmm... TerraTec driver bug.

Reply #5
No crashes. Maudio drivers here.

Reply #6
No crashes. Maudio drivers here.

Same.

Works fine on my Revo, and I can use 24/32bit fixed/32bit float unlike with KS which only works up to 16 bit (though directsound and waveout allow me to use higher bit depths).

Reply #7
No crashes on Terratec here, but if I scroll almost to the end of last song (just a few seconds left) it does not play the remaining bits, just freezes. Foobar is still "playing", but remaining time does not change and theres no sound at all.

But nothing hangs, and I can still play another song or do anything else in foobar.
I guess that problem shows up when amount of data left is smaller than plugin's buffer...

Reply #8
I like outputting through ASIO through my Revo (using the drivers on the M-Audio site), however the blips I get when minimizing sometimes is somewhat...discouraging. I was wondering if this is a problem with incompatibilities with the card and ASIO, a bug in the output plugin (using 6c, newest one at the time), or just something I'm doing stupidly.

Reply #9
I upgraded to 0.06 and works fine.

Reply #10
What's the advantage of ASIO over Kernel Streaming?

Reply #11
I like outputting through ASIO through my Revo (using the drivers on the M-Audio site), however the blips I get when minimizing sometimes is somewhat...discouraging. I was wondering if this is a problem with incompatibilities with the card and ASIO, a bug in the output plugin (using 6c, newest one at the time), or just something I'm doing stupidly.

Increase the buffer size.  Increasing thread priority might help you with this also.

Reply #12
hmmm, i think i'm like the last guy in the world to know.....wots ASIO? 
we have something called ASIO here in australia but thats VERY different

Reply #13
why use asio over directsound in in WinXP?

i'm using a m-audio revo card

Reply #15
Q: What is ASIO?
A: ASIO - Audio Stream Input Output. A multi-channel audio transfer protocol developed by Steinberg.

Q: Why use ASIO over DS in in WinXP?
A: ASIO bypasses Kernel Mixer, like KS, but some cards crash when using KS so you have ASIO as an alternative.

Hmmm... ASIO FAQ

Reply #16
KS and ASIO:
If both of them work perfectly what is the better? In KS i can't use 32 bit float, but if I can use it in ASIO is it good? I have a DMX6Fire and I think 24 bit dithered is better for a 24 card than 32 bit any.

Reply #17
Is there any list of which sound cards/audio chip sets support ASIO?

Reply #18

I have no idea if there is, but generally - soundcards for musicians.

Reply #19

Here is a list in the Steinberg knowledgebase.
Those who desire to give up freedom in order to gain security, will not have, nor do they deserve, either one! (Benjamin Franklin)

Reply #20

I have no idea if there is, but generally - soundcards for musicians.

You can use ASIO with some basic cards like SBLive ver. 1 with the help of the KX Project.

Reply #21
[deleted]

Reply #22
0.07 is out

http://www.aikis.or.jp/~otachan/foo_output_asio.html

on a side note, i own a nforce mobo with soundstorm audio which supports asio and kernal streaming, both work perfect, however, i cant get all my speakers to work correctly with asio, if i enable the convert stereo to 4 channel with ks it works perfectly but not with asio, ive tried shifting output channels but can never get the right combination!

any help would be appreaciated.

Reply #23
on a side note, i own a nforce mobo with soundstorm audio which supports asio and kernal streaming, both work perfect, however, i cant get all my speakers to work correctly with asio, if i enable the convert stereo to 4 channel with ks it works perfectly but not with asio, ive tried shifting output channels but can never get the right combination!

any help would be appreaciated.

Maybe because ASIO isn't intended for surround playback?

Reply #24
Just to let you know, the new build of the ASIO plugin (0.06c) seems to work correctly all the time, but the kX drivers seem to be buggy and cause problems that I haven't had when using official drivers.

Tried 0.07?