Skip to main content

Notice

Please note that most of the software linked on this forum is likely to be safe to use. If you are unsure, feel free to ask in the relevant topics, or send a private message to an administrator or moderator. To help curb the problems of false positives, or in the event that you do find actual malware, you can contribute through the article linked here.
Topic: Lost unsaved layout changes due to crash (Read 5750 times) previous topic - next topic

Lost unsaved layout changes due to crash

So, I spent hours on a complex columns UI layout, added a modified navigator, went to my Visualization tab (album art, projectM tab and trackinfo mod) and it crashed. Unfazed, I opened up foobar again. To find everything but the album list panel gone.

WHY can't foobar handle ONE plugin (likely projectM) crashing?! WHY can't foobar backup that stuff automatically? WHY?!

</foobar related rant>
err... i'm not using windows any more ;)

Reply #1
blame instability on the plugin(s) and not in foobar.
poorly designed plugins are the main troublemakers IMO.
to avoid this kind of thing I close foobar periodically when making major layout changes so configuration is saved periodically, and I backup the whole foobar folder as well.

Reply #2
I know it isn't foobar's fault... it was just really annoying. All that work...

Reply #3
Shouldn't just clicking Save All actually saves the layout changes?

Reply #5
I used to periodically close and restart foobar to save any changes I recently made. And while [Save All] appears to save all the layout changes it sometimes seems to miss panel sizes or individual component settings. Then I was introduced to the "File> Save Configuration" (does not appear on the default menu, is available for buttons and menus) option in foobar. I now have a custom button I incorporate into all my layouts to trigger this. I simply click the button every so often while making changes and have not lost any changes since.

Reply #6
Loading DLLs from untrusted sources does to your foobar2000 process what loading kernel mode drivers (incl. rootkits and alike) from untrusted sources does to your OS.
This is not likely to ever change - moving components to separate processes could work with some of simpler players but not with the amount of cross-component interactions we have (let alone having to rewrite the whole API and kill compatibility with old components again); moving to another programming language that supports sandboxing within the same process is not currently considered either.
Microsoft Windows: We can't script here, this is bat country.

Reply #7
But what about automatic cfg backup? Like the one that Firefox does with its bookmarks, for example?

Reply #8
foo_loader, maybe?

Reply #9
foo_loader is not even a component. No one would want to lose his 'customization' occasionally, right? In my opinion, it sould be one of the core features. This way it'd be possible to make automatic backup on clicking 'Save All', too.

Reply #10
On that note, how do you customize the menu? I just can't find how...

Reply #11
File Menu etc? No in 0.9.x

Reply #12
I regularly zip up my foobar folder as a backup to prevent this sort of thing.  It's happened to me a number of times.

Reply #13
I regularly zip up my foobar folder as a backup to prevent this sort of thing.  It's happened to me a number of times.

What about Columns UI/others/export? To save the fcs file

Reply #14
the fcs file only holds basic columnsui settings. i dont understand why so many people pester each other to swap .fcs. that file has barely any information used in setups using singlecolumnplaylist etc. if all you want is a layout just type the tree.

Reply #15
But what about automatic cfg backup?
No one avoids you from performing automatic backups, no?! I automatically 7z+pgp+ftpupload most important files for example. foobar2000.conf is one of them.

foo_loader, maybe?
Well, then you could simply use a batch file for fb2k startup. copy the foobar2000.conf to something like ..\foobar2000_%time%.conf and then start foobar.