Skip to main content

Notice

Please note that most of the software linked on this forum is likely to be safe to use. If you are unsure, feel free to ask in the relevant topics, or send a private message to an administrator or moderator. To help curb the problems of false positives, or in the event that you do find actual malware, you can contribute through the article linked here.
Topic: foobar 1.6.6 - Seeking immediately causes playback to stop (Read 929 times) previous topic - next topic

foobar 1.6.6 - Seeking immediately causes playback to stop

With a particular file, seeking immediately causes playback to stop. Using verify integrity shows status as OK and warnings as <none>. Decode test also doesn't show any errors or warnings. Is there any way to detect files with problems like this? See attached file.

Here is the log from the console
Code: [Select]
Components loaded in: 0:00.013334
Configuration read in: 0:00.002073
foobar2000 v1.6.6 [portable]
User Interface initialized in: 0:00.206528
FFmpeg version: 4.3.1
Startup time : 0:00.229837
Automatic resampling: using Resampler (dBpoweramp/SSRC), Resampler (RetroArch)
Device: Speakers (TOPPING TP23    )
Mix format: 48000 Hz / 32-bit float / 2 channels (0x3)
Sending stream: 48000 Hz / 32-bit float / 2 channels (0x3)
Opening track for playback: "C:\Users\User\Desktop\New folder\testfile.m4a"
```

Re: foobar 1.6.6 - Seeking immediately causes playback to stop

Reply #1
This AAC file uses a Dash wrapper which is what causes the seek problem in Foobar.  Dash is used for Internet streaming and can adjust the stream quality dynamically.

A fix is to re-wrap into a "normal" non-dash M4A container using ffmpeg.  From a command window:

ffmpeg.exe -i testfile.m4a -codec copy testfile-2.m4a

Keeps the tags.  Note the need to rename the output file to keep from overwriting the original.

Reply #2
This AAC file uses a Dash wrapper which is what causes the seek problem in Foobar.  Dash is used for Internet streaming and can adjust the stream quality dynamically.

Thanks. Given a folder of files, do you know of a way to detect dash files that are non-seekable?

Reply #3
Thanks. Given a folder of files, do you know of a way to detect dash files that are non-seekable?
Sorry, no I don't.  I determined your example was a dash file by using MediaInfo which produced the info pictured below.

You could mass re-wrap all *.m4a in a folder to another existing folder (subfolder "nodash" in example) with this:
FOR %F IN (*.m4a) DO C:\ffmpeg\ffmpeg.exe -i "%F" -codec copy "nodash\%~nF.m4a"