Skip to main content

Notice

Please note that most of the software linked on this forum is likely to be safe to use. If you are unsure, feel free to ask in the relevant topics, or send a private message to an administrator or moderator. To help curb the problems of false positives, or in the event that you do find actual malware, you can contribute through the article linked here.
Topic: reporting foobar2000 v1.6.7 beta bug (Read 1914 times) previous topic - next topic

reporting foobar2000 v1.6.7 beta bug

No idea if this is helpful - I just tried the beta version - removed wasapi as instructed - but listening to dsd64 the sound went to hell after around 5 mins of playing. Sounded partially scrambled - like under water.  Changing the buffer length made no difference.  Restarting the track or restarting from the bad playing position, sound was ok. It happened regularly after playing -  so I have gone back to to 1.6.6 for now.

Can supply more config data if requested 

Re: reporting foobar2000 v1.6.7 beta bug

Reply #1
What format is the dsd64 in? What is decoding it? Remember that if you're playing it as PCM, it's being downsampled. And since the input samples are deltas of 100% in magnitude, the only thing making them reasonable PCM samples is using a high quality algorithm to sort of average them together, but more complicated than that. If this filter has a problem, it could theoretically collapse into garbage after so many minutes of playback.

If you're passing DSD64 directly to your audio device, I might blame the audio device for not handling DSD properly. Seeking or restarting the track would reset whatever processing is turning the DSD into listenable audio, either way.

Reply #2
Does foobar2000 even support DSD natively? I ask because this may be related to another DSD issue I've found.

In 1.6.6, using foo_input_sacd adds DSD audio devices to the output device list. These work with the old WASAPI exclusive mode plugin and are mostly prefaced with DSD : WASAPI (push) : (audio device name).

When you remove the old WASAPI plugin in favor of the new built-in one, you no longer get any DSD output options. However, you get several additions to the list still that don't appear if you don't have the SACD plugin installed. These follow the format Default : (audio device name) [exclusive], oddly enough.

This seems to mainly be an artifact of how foo_input_sacd interacted with the old WASAPI exclusive mode plugin, but it looks to me like there is no longer a way to output DSD directly. I don't have a way to check if the output devices that say "Default" output DSD or not because my DAC doesn't support DSD.

I have provided screenshots.
Think millionaire, but with cannons.

Reply #3
The direct DSD modes are useless if your DAC doesn't support DSD.

Reply #4
The direct DSD modes are useless if your DAC doesn't support DSD.
I never intended to use direct DSD. The reason for my post was to point out that there is at least one bug I've found with the only DSD decoder for foobar2000 I know of, and that because of the way it interacted with the old WASAPI plugin, there may be more bugs in the way it works now without it. OP could be experiencing something related because they seem to have been using direct DSD.
Think millionaire, but with cannons.

Reply #5
@Cannonaire
https://sourceforge.net/projects/sacddecoder/files/foo_out_asio%2Bdsd/
> This plugin is the substitute for foo_out_asio component and is capable of Native DSD playback for compatible DACs.

Super Audio CD Decoder 1.3.6 (foo_input_sacd.dll)
ASIO+DSD support 0.1.1 (foo_out_asio+dsd.dll)
Output: ASIO+DSD [DSD compatible DAC ASIO Driver]

There is no particular setting
It is impossible if it does not support DSD.
SHURE SRH1840, SENNHEISER HD660S2, SENNHEISER HD 490 PRO, DT 1990 PRO, HiFiMAN Edition XS, Bowers & Wilkins P7, FiiO FT5, 水月雨 (MOONDROP) 空鳴 - VOID, Nakamichi Elite FIVE ANC, Bose QuietComfort 45 (made a Upgrade/Balanced Cable by myself)

Reply #6
Ken, I'm a little confused by your last post. Does ASIO work with sending DSD to a compatible DAC? 

Reply #7
Hi :) eagleray
Does it work?
Yes.
DENON PMA-60, DENON DA-310USB, iFi ZEN CAN, iFi nano iDSD, FOSTEX HP-A4, TEAC UD-301USB, Pioneer U-05, FIO-Q1MK2 and Roland UA-M10...
foobar2000 v1.6.6, v1.6.7 beta 3
OK?
SHURE SRH1840, SENNHEISER HD660S2, SENNHEISER HD 490 PRO, DT 1990 PRO, HiFiMAN Edition XS, Bowers & Wilkins P7, FiiO FT5, 水月雨 (MOONDROP) 空鳴 - VOID, Nakamichi Elite FIVE ANC, Bose QuietComfort 45 (made a Upgrade/Balanced Cable by myself)

Reply #8
Oops

FOSTEX HP-A4 (DSD playback)
foobar2000 v1.6. 7 beta 3
Output: Default: FOSTEX HP-A4 (FOSTEX USB Audio HP-A4BL) [exclusive]

Reply #9
Correct the repeat in the Spectrum scale.

Reply #10
Not so much a repeat, as the frequency bands not being on even 1KHz boundaries with each other, and the label numbers being rounded, so two bands that are close to each other are both being labeled "11K".