Skip to main content

Notice

Please note that most of the software linked on this forum is likely to be safe to use. If you are unsure, feel free to ask in the relevant topics, or send a private message to an administrator or moderator. To help curb the problems of false positives, or in the event that you do find actual malware, you can contribute through the article linked here.
Topic: Need help ABXing iPod (Read 4251 times) previous topic - next topic

Need help ABXing iPod

I'm interested in testing myself vs samples of music, but I don't really have a clear idea of how to go about it. My computer is useless for these tests, since the speakers I own are terrible, and when I plug my headphones directly into the computer I get awful feedback. Plus it's not particularly ideal since I do the majority of my listening with my iPod.

Is there a program that exists for a Rockbox 5.5 g iPod for ABX testing? Is there a relatively convenient method of performing the test without a second person?

Is there perhaps some dedicated ABXing device that can be used peripheral to a source?

Thanks for your time, if there's a flawless method I'll for sure post my results.

Need help ABXing iPod

Reply #1
I'm interested in testing myself vs samples of music, but I don't really have a clear idea of how to go about it. My computer is useless for these tests, since the speakers I own are terrible, and when I plug my headphones directly into the computer I get awful feedback.

?  This shouldn't happen if you are plugging them into a *headphone output* jack of your computer.  And trying turning off your computer speakers too.

Need help ABXing iPod

Reply #2
I'm interested in testing myself vs samples of music, but I don't really have a clear idea of how to go about it. My computer is useless for these tests, since the speakers I own are terrible, and when I plug my headphones directly into the computer I get awful feedback.

?  This shouldn't happen if you are plugging them into a *headphone output* jack of your computer.  And trying turning off your computer speakers too.

Try turning down/off the microphone if you have one since the headphones (if they are open back type) could be picked up by the microphone, which would explain the feedback.

Cheers
Sean
Audio Musings

Need help ABXing iPod

Reply #3
Maybe my utility fileabx can be useful for you:

"fileABX is a freeware Windows command-line utility that helps performing file-based ABX tests. This program generates ABX-style, "blinded" randomized copies of a pair of files specified. The person taking the test has to identify them without knowing which one he is playing each time. A statistical analysis of the results is provided so that it is possible to know if the person really perceived a difference between the files, or his results can be attributable to chance.

I case of audio files, it can be useful for performing long-term ABX tests, and also for using your favourite audio equipment and player, whether software or hardware to perfom an ABX test. "

Need help ABXing iPod

Reply #4
This shouldn't happen if you are plugging them into a *headphone output* jack of your computer.  And trying turning off your computer speakers too.

Make sure you're not plugging the headphones into the microphone input jack.