Skip to main content

Notice

Please note that most of the software linked on this forum is likely to be safe to use. If you are unsure, feel free to ask in the relevant topics, or send a private message to an administrator or moderator. To help curb the problems of false positives, or in the event that you do find actual malware, you can contribute through the article linked here.
Topic: FLAC Playback (Read 3037 times) previous topic - next topic

FLAC Playback

I have a valid FLAC file created with FLAC 0.3. Playback fails without any error message, the file just disapears from the playlist.
Winamp plugin cannot play it either - but it fails with ERROR_NO_METADATA_BLOCK

I also have a FLAC 1.02 file that has been currupted with metaflac 1.04. Playback in Winamp fails with the following message: ERROR_CURRUPT_METADATA_BLOCK. Fb2k just removes it from playlist without notification.

I do not like this behavior. I could encode a new CD to FLAC and currupt several files without ever knowing it -- i'd had to spot the holes in the track numbers. If it were the last tracks on the album, I'd have no chance of ever spotting the currupt files.

I would like fatal errors to be quite visible -- i.e. popup dialog, red line etc.

If an minor error occurs during playback, i.e. my hardware is broken and sometimes fails decoding a frame correctly - or bit error on network, I'd like a visible warning message.

FLAC Playback

Reply #1
I have a valid FLAC file created with FLAC 0.3. Playback fails without any error message, the file just disapears from the playlist.
Winamp plugin cannot play it either - but it fails with ERROR_NO_METADATA_BLOCK

Just to clarify that there's no typo... it was created with flac 0.3, not flac 1.0.3?  The format spec was not finalized before 1.0.

I also have a FLAC 1.02 file that has been currupted with metaflac 1.04.

Could you elaborate on this one?  The only such bug I know of happens when using --import-vc-from on a FLAC file with no VORBIS_COMMENT block (see here).  In any case I want to try to get a --repair option into metaflac for 1.0.5.

Josh

FLAC Playback

Reply #2
@jcoalson: The first file was indeed created with FLAC 0.3.  I know it is very old and can easily be converted to 1.0.4, but that is beside the point. Fb2k should at least give an error message informing that playback has failed. Same thing for the second file - I was referring to the metaflac bug you described.