Skip to main content

Notice

Please note that most of the software linked on this forum is likely to be safe to use. If you are unsure, feel free to ask in the relevant topics, or send a private message to an administrator or moderator. To help curb the problems of false positives, or in the event that you do find actual malware, you can contribute through the article linked here.
Topic: Sennheiser headphones? (Read 6695 times) previous topic - next topic

Sennheiser headphones?

I'm in the market to buy a new pair of headphones to replace my el-cheapo Sony's, and the ones I'm considering are the Sennheiser HD-570's. I want to know if anyone here has these headphones and what they think of them in terms of sound quality, comfort, and durability. If you have any recommendations for other headphones in the same price range (~$120), feel free to add them. Thanks.

Sennheiser headphones?

Reply #1
Originally posted by w00d
I'm in the market to buy a new pair of headphones to replace my el-cheapo Sony's, and the ones I'm considering are the Sennheiser HD-570's. I want to know if anyone here has these headphones and what they think of them in terms of sound quality, comfort, and durability. If you have any recommendations for other headphones in the same price range (~0), feel free to add them. Thanks.

They are very comfortable and have served me well.

The sound and response is excellent (well, they're Sennheisers). The only minor point is that the frequency response is not so flat. It's still much better than regular headphones, but not really exceptional. A bit too bright in the HF area.

I like them most because sometimes it's really possible to forget you have them on, despite them being big. You can wear them for hours on an end without problems.

--
GCP

Sennheiser headphones?

Reply #2
Sort of on this topic, does anybody know of a good place to find headphone reviews?  I current have Sony MDR-180s, where are el-cheapo ($18 or so at Best Buy a while ago), but my first pair of "real" (i.e. not that cheap stuff that comes with the Discman) headphones, so it took me until around now to get sick of them.  I'd like to replace them with something better, but I'm not sure how much I really want to spend, so some sort of review site telling me what I'm getting for various prices (and at each price what is recommended) would be helpful.  I.e. should I spend $50, $70, $100?  At what point does it go from "spend $20 more, you'll be glad you did" to "it's not really worth the extra $20"?  I suppose it differs for each person, but at the moment I'm clueless so I'd rather not just go spend $70-$100 on the first thing I see. =]

Sennheiser headphones?

Reply #3
Try http://www.headphone.com/ for reviews.

I've heard the Sennheiser HD-600, they weren't quite dynamic enough for my taste but impressive resolution for a dynamic headphone.  They'd be great for classical music, or anything else without major dynamic impacts (i.e. kick drums, etc).  The biggest problem with the Sennheiser's is their impedence - they really do need a headphone amp to even begin to tap their sonic potential.

If I were in the market for headphones now, I'd look at the Grado line.  They can be diven quite nicely even by discmans, the output from your sound card should drive them easily.  I've heard they need a lot of time to break in, though.  I've only heard the SR-325, but it was very impressive, and from what I understand the lesser models are very nice in their respective price ranges.

I'll stick with my old Stax SR-Xmk3 Electrostatic headphones tho

--jeff

Sennheiser headphones?

Reply #4
I have some older Sennheiser's - they're great.

The Grado's are pretty nice as well, but I just find the Sennheisers more comfortable.

- Agent 86

Sennheiser headphones?

Reply #6
That's true, the Grados are definately a bit uncomfortable.  The Sennheisers are the BEST for comfort.

--jeff

Sennheiser headphones?

Reply #7
I would recommend Etymotic Research's canalphones for the best sound (IMHO).  I use the ER-4Ps which can be found for $270, but there is a new ER-6 model out for $117 that has most of the quality of the ER-4s.  You will see lots of posts praising them.
Kimberly aka
Baroness Sylvia von Zurich (the only Goldwater Conservative) endorses the Meadow Party's Bill and Opus for the 2004 Presidential election!  A sometimes dead cat and an overweight penguin who looks like a puffin couldn't possibly do any worse than a Shrub.

Sennheiser headphones?

Reply #8
I did consider the Grado's briefly, but from what I've been told by owners is that they are not very comfortable to wear all the time (which I do with headphones), and their durability isn't as good as the Senn's. Durability is very important for me as I've broken more pairs of headphones from normal use than I care to count. Sennheiser, as I understand it, have replaceable parts for their headphones, which is great for me because I'll probably end up having to do that sometime down the road.

Sennheiser headphones?

Reply #9
If you get interested in the higher Sennheiser models check out this site: http://home.t-online.de/home/meier-audio/
For a bit more money ($170 @ the above site) the HD-580s are a good bet. I've also heard that the Phillips HP 890s are good for their price ($95) but have never listened to them myself.

Sennheiser headphones?

Reply #10
Hi,

I also have an older Sennheiser (HD 535) and they are great...
The sound is very good (very flat response and natural sound, not so dynamic however), and the comfort excellent  (compared to grados).

A point to check : some problem of bad electric contact between the headphones and the removable cables.

Regards,

Marc

Sennheiser headphones?

Reply #11
Mine are 535s as well.  I picked them up from Outpost.com when they had them on sale for $70.  I wear these all day long (8am to 4pm) at work without any problems.  They sound beautiful as well - best I've ever had.

A friend of mine used to work for the company, and they had all kinds of "big time" musicians stop by the office for their headphones and microphones.

I think I recall him saying once that they sell less then 15 of the high end model - the $15,000 one with a tube amp - per year.

They*DO* sell replacement parts FYI.  Sennheiser Replacement Parts Site

All in all, you really can't go wrong with Sennheiser (or that matter, most of what has been mentioned in this thread).

- Agent 86

Sennheiser headphones?

Reply #12
Man, I love my 535's so much that I just spent 3 hours repairing a hair-fine wire inside the capsule. It was like trying to solder molecules.

One thing I learned in the process is that the cable connector in the 535's is just a coiled spring. The little pointy contacts on the cables just jam into the spring, and that doesn't make for the most positive connection. Two weeks after I got my pair, I said to a friend, "Hey look! The cable is replaceable!" and yanked it out. The connection was never perfect again. While I was fixing that tiny little wire inside, I just soldered the damned cables on. That'll teach 'em to go "crackle crackle".

Sennheiser headphones?

Reply #13
I'm in the market to buy a new pair of headphones to replace my el-cheapo Sony's, and the ones I'm considering are the Sennheiser HD-570's. I want to know if anyone here has these headphones and what they think of them in terms of sound quality, comfort, and durability. If you have any recommendations for other headphones in the same price range (~ 120), feel free to add them. Thanks.

What kind of music do you listen to?  Some are better than others for guitar-oriented rock and stuff where you want an "on stage with the band" sort of immediacy... others give a presentation a little more similar to speakers.

If you can stretch things to $150-$180, the Sennheiser HD-580 would be not a small step up or a medium step, but a giant step up in SQ.  They do give a somewhat "distant" musical perspective not really recommended for metal, guitar-oriented hard rock and such where you want to put your head inside the speakers near the stage...    Also they are open and leak sound, as well as admitting ambient sound... poor headphones for portable usage.

Sennheiser headphones?

Reply #14
I second the recommendation for Sennheiser HD-580's Very fine. Can be found under $150 on the web. In the budget range, under $75, Grado SR-60s are good, I use them for travel, portable CD-MP3 player and with the laptop soundcard also. In between, I have the Alessandro Grado MS-1, low $100s, very nice sound, reputed to be akin to the Grado SR125.

Sennheiser headphones?

Reply #15
For music-on-the-go, I recommend the Sennheiser PX200. Give it some burn-in time and you have tight bass, excellent mid- and high range.  It really came into its own when I bought the Cowon iaudio 7 and loaded up FLAC files from Chesky!  They are comfortable for long-wearing, plenty of sound output, and have closed backs to reduce disturbance for other travellers / co-workers.

Sennheiser headphones?

Reply #16
Could this be a new "old-thread-bumping" record? 
Over thinking, over analyzing separates the body from the mind.

Sennheiser headphones?

Reply #17
Great headphones, PX 200.