Skip to main content

Notice

Please note that most of the software linked on this forum is likely to be safe to use. If you are unsure, feel free to ask in the relevant topics, or send a private message to an administrator or moderator. To help curb the problems of false positives, or in the event that you do find actual malware, you can contribute through the article linked here.
Topic: C: drive restore disappears all playlists (Read 1128 times) previous topic - next topic

C: drive restore disappears all playlists

Hello

I occasionally restore my system C: drive with disk imaging software (Terabyte Image).  Always with a full restore, from a backup that may be anywhere from an hour to a day old.  Every time I do that, all my Foobar playlists disappear.  This happens on both my machines.

Today I'm using 1.6.14 but it's been happening for years over many versions.

Does anyone know the technical reason for this?
Any way to recover from it?
Any way to prevent it?

Thanks for any info!

Re: C: drive restore disappears all playlists

Reply #1
Hi there,

With a standard install, foobar user data is stored in this folder -
C:\Users\<username>\AppData\Roaming\foobar2000\profile

With a portable install, foobar user data is stored in the install\profile folder.

With either install type, you can [hold SHIFT key] > File > Browse Configuration Folder to open the folder, and manually back it up / restore it.

I can only assume your restore software is wiping one of these folders?

If you have no need for Windows Explorer context menus and file associations, I would suggest just use a portable install on a different drive, like maybe the same one your music is on.

Reply #2
Thanks for your response and ideas anamorphic.  That's the thing with my backup s/w though: it's a complete image of the entire HD, and all partition data.  On restore, it's a total restore of all bits and bytes on the disk.  Except somehow the FB2K playlists bork themselves.  It's a mystery to me.

On my systems there is no profile folder in C:\Users\User\AppData\Roaming\foobar2000\

I will try a portable install..  but I feel it's actually something else.  I guess it could be an old component.  Probably time for me to do a fresh install from scratch and setup from zero again.

Reply #3
In addition to a fresh Portable install of Foobar I would also suggest a new imaging application.  Macrium Reflect has always worked well for me.

Reply #4
In addition to a fresh Portable install of Foobar I would also suggest a new imaging application.  Macrium Reflect has always worked well for me.

Thanks for the tip but no, Terabyte Image ain't the problem.  And I'm rusted on to it, it has saved my ass in battle before :-)

Reply #5
Maybe email Terabyte image support and ask why this is happening. Should be very easy for them to test.

Another thing just came to mind, are you able to mount the image file and see if there are files in C:\Users\%username%\AppData\Roaming\foobar2000\playlists-v1.4\
Who are you and how did you get in here ?
I'm a locksmith, I'm a locksmith.

Reply #6
Yes the files are definitely in the image.  Attached is a kdiff of the appdata folder in the image, and the restored appdata folder.  I've start FB2K twice since the restore, to look at my blank playlists  :))  and then closed it again.

Reply #7
Oh.... breaking news.  There are no .fpl files in the image ...\playlists-v1.4\
I guess they are being skipped somehow.  My bad - sorry I didn't really understand FB2K's data storage, but I have been educated.  Thanks for all the help everyone.

Reply #8
On my systems there is no profile folder in C:\Users\User\AppData\Roaming\foobar2000\
Just my mistake. I've mostly only ever used portable install.

Glad you found out what was happening. :)