Skip to main content

Notice

Please note that most of the software linked on this forum is likely to be safe to use. If you are unsure, feel free to ask in the relevant topics, or send a private message to an administrator or moderator. To help curb the problems of false positives, or in the event that you do find actual malware, you can contribute through the article linked here.
Topic: Linux Player with good RG and gapless playback support (Read 7346 times) previous topic - next topic

Linux Player with good RG and gapless playback support

I am looking at going back to Linux again after a few years and I am worried about the lack of Foobar, except with Wine.  I value gapless perfection in playback and Replay Gain functionality above most other features and was wondering what *nix users here use any media players that not just support gapless and RG, but do it properly.  I posted a list from the main Wiki page, but "support" doesn't necessarily mean good support.

Any comments on what works well and doesn't work so well would be appreciated. 

http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Replay_Gain
Replay Gain–compliant audio players (Windows stuff snipped)

* Amarok for Linux[2]
    * Audacious for Unix-like systems
    * Aqualung for Linux and Windows
    * cmus
    * Exaile for Linux/GNOME
    * madplay
    * Mpg123 supported for only Xing/Lame/Info header
    * mpd for Unix-like systems
    * Muine music player for GNOME
    * Rhythmbox for GNOME (hidden gconf option on/off only track gain is assumed)
    * XMMS for Unix-like systems with X11 (supports Replay Gain for Vorbis; for MP3 files, a patched version of the xmms-mad plugin which only supports APEv2 is available.[4])
    * XMMS2

Reply #1
I am looking at going back to Linux again after a few years and I am worried about the lack of Foobar, except with Wine.  I value gapless perfection in playback and Replay Gain functionality above most other features and was wondering what *nix users here use any media players that not just support gapless and RG, but do it properly.  I posted a list from the main Wiki page, but "support" doesn't necessarily mean good support.

Any comments on what works well and doesn't work so well would be appreciated. 

http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Replay_Gain
Replay Gain–compliant audio players (Windows stuff snipped)

* Amarok for Linux[2]
    * Audacious for Unix-like systems
    * Aqualung for Linux and Windows
    * cmus
    * Exaile for Linux/GNOME
    * madplay
    * Mpg123 supported for only Xing/Lame/Info header
    * mpd for Unix-like systems
    * Muine music player for GNOME
    * Rhythmbox for GNOME (hidden gconf option on/off only track gain is assumed)
    * XMMS for Unix-like systems with X11 (supports Replay Gain for Vorbis; for MP3 files, a patched version of the xmms-mad plugin which only supports APEv2 is available.[4])
    * XMMS2

One that's never mentioned is XBMC. It's a general media player, but the music support is pretty - replaygain (both album and track), and it's gapless by default.

Reply #2
Add Quod Libet to the list of players supporting RG.

Reply #3
I use mpd with Sonata as a frontend.  Pretty damn good.  Covers & lyrics are nice.  And it supports replaygain of course.

Still use foobar2000 via wine for tagging, sorting folders and calculating replaygain.

Reply #4
Mpd is really great!
It can howeber be a bit diffrent in the beginning to handle but when you get the hang of it, its <3

Reply #5
Mpd is really great!
It can howeber be a bit diffrent in the beginning to handle but when you get the hang of it, its <3

Another +1 for mpd, which supports both replaygain and perfect gapless playback, including lame mp3's. For mp3 replaygaining using tags, it only supports idv2 tags, while mp3gain only supports writing replaygain tags in ape format. This implies you must use either foobar, or use a hack to convert ape replaygain tags to idv2.

Reply #6
try aqualung, one of its main goals is gapless playback, and it achieves that

however, the project seems to be abandoned currently, i hope this is just temporary

ps: that's the most foobar-ish player on linux

Reply #7
mpd's great. It's rather different from other music players but it's really quite versatile. I especially like the scripting you can to with clients such as mpc and the light-weight usage with ncmpc. There's always more flashy guis like Sonata or qmpdclient for when your friends want to use it or for playlist creation and stuff, although none are as good as foobar. It has gapless playback (including LAME mp3s) and replaygain support plus lots of other capabilities of course

Reply #8
Excellent, I will look into these.  Thanks! 

Reply #9
Another vote for MPD, I use it along with GMPC on my work machine.
Dan