Skip to main content

Notice

Please note that most of the software linked on this forum is likely to be safe to use. If you are unsure, feel free to ask in the relevant topics, or send a private message to an administrator or moderator. To help curb the problems of false positives, or in the event that you do find actual malware, you can contribute through the article linked here.
Topic: File association with foobar2000 portable (v1.1.7) (Read 19385 times) previous topic - next topic

File association with foobar2000 portable (v1.1.7)

Hello everybody, latest foobar2000 portable don't suppor file association (mp3,wma,ape...). This is really bad to me 
Somebody tell me what do I have to do to make foobar2000 portable suppor file associaton (mp3,wma,ape...), PLEASE!!!

Reply #1
The concept of portable applications is to not change anything on a computer, file associations included. Install foobar2000 in normal mode instead in order to associate file types with the program.

On Windows XP however, shift + right-click on a file type in the Windows Explorer opens a context menu item "Open with..." Here you can point to the foobar2000.exe of your portable installation. I don't know how newer Windows versions behave in this.
This is HA. Not the Jerry Springer Show.

Reply #2
@Robertina: Thanks for answere me  But if I install foobar2000 in normal mode, Foobar will reset all after I ghost window or install a new window  And so many type of audio, it takes long time to "Open with.." for each type of audio

Reply #3
Unfortunately my dictionary is unable to translate "ghost window" and I don't understand the meaning of "install a new window". Do you fear to lose your settings? They can be transferred from a portable installation to a normal one.

I hope someone with a better reading comprehension than I have helps out.

Reply #4
Portable installation:
- does not add entries to registry - such as installation/deinstallation info and files/shell associations,
- two files are not installed - "foobar2000 Shell Associations Updater.exe" and "ShellExt32.dll"/"ShellExt64.dll" (also some icons),
- playlists, library, user components and other settings are stored in foobar2000 folder.

Standard installation: added entries to registry, mentioned two files are installed and settings (playlists, library, ...) are stored in "\Documents and Settings\<user name>\Application data\foobar2000\" (at least in Windows XP).

However...

Portable installation: in foobar2000 directory is a file "portable_mode_enabled". If this file is detected, files/shell associations settings are disabled. So, you can delete or rename this file - then appropriate options will be available in foobar2000.
But without "ShellExt32.dll"/"ShellExt64.dll" some issues are possible.

Standard installation: in foobar2000 directory is a file "user_profiles_enabled". If this file is detected, settings are stored in (and loaded from) "\Documents and Settings\<user name>\Application data\foobar2000\". But without that file, settings are stored in (and loaded from) foobar2000 directory.

Reply #5
So, you want a portable mode that isn't portable.

Sorry such a thing does not exist.
elevatorladylevitateme

Reply #6
A possible way to have a pseudo-installed environment is to compile a launcher using NSIS or Autoit (scripting languages) which will
set-up on every launch and clean-up on every exit. I use one of these launchers for "Exact Audio Copy".

Another possible solution is to create *one* custom registry key for your context menu, like this example:
Code: [Select]
Windows Registry Editor Version 5.00

[HKEY_LOCAL_MACHINE\SOFTWARE\Classes\*\shell\Open with foobar2000]
@="Open with foobar2000"

[HKEY_LOCAL_MACHINE\SOFTWARE\Classes\*\shell\Open with foobar2000\command]
@="D:\\Apps\\foobar2000\\foobar2000.exe %1"

You can automate the registry task by including it in your scripted launcher.

Also... two commands which you should get to know in Windows are ASSOC and FTYPE.

As an example, on my computer...

---------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------
CMD==> assoc /?

ASSOC [.ext[=[fileType]]]

.ext      Specifies the file extension to associate the file type with
  fileType  Specifies the file type to associate with the file extension

Type ASSOC without parameters to display the current file associations.
If ASSOC is invoked with just a file extension, it displays the current
file association for that file extension.  Specify nothing for the file
type and the command will delete the association for the file extension.

CMD==> assoc .mp3

.mp3=VLC.mp3

CMD==> ftype /?

Displays or modifies file types used in file extension associations

FTYPE [fileType[=[openCommandString]]]

fileType  Specifies the file type to examine or change
  openCommandString Specifies the open command to use when launching files
                    of this type.

Type FTYPE without parameters to display the current file types that
have open command strings defined.  FTYPE is invoked with just a file
type, it displays the current open command string for that file type.
Specify nothing for the open command string and the FTYPE command will
delete the open command string for the file type.  Within an open
command string %0 or %1 are substituted with the file name being
launched through the assocation.  %* gets all the parameters and %2
gets the 1st parameter, %3 the second, etc.  %~n gets all the remaining
parameters starting with the nth parameter, where n may be between 2 and 9,
inclusive.  For example:

ASSOC .pl=PerlScript
    FTYPE PerlScript=perl.exe %1 %*

would allow you to invoke a Perl script as follows:

script.pl 1 2 3

If you want to eliminate the need to type the extensions, then do the
following:

set PATHEXT=.pl;%PATHEXT%

and the script could be invoked as follows:

script 1 2 3

CMD==> ftype VLC.mp3

VLC.mp3="C:\Program Files\VLC\vlc.exe" --started-from-file "%1"
---------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------

Reply #7
Unfortunately my dictionary is unable to translate "ghost window" and I don't understand the meaning of "install a new window". Do you fear to lose your settings? They can be transferred from a portable installation to a normal one.
Oop! I'm really sory for my bad English! I mean "ghost window" is "Symantec norton ghost"  Yes! I fear to lose your settings when I use "Symantec norton ghost". Ths again for answering me 

Yeah! m/  Thankyou very very much for your help. I rename "portable_mode_enabled", and copy "ShellExt32.dll" and "icons folder" and "foobar2000 Shell Associations Updater.exe" from "C:Program Filesfoobar2000" to folder Foobar2000 portable. Now i can use "File type association" in foobar2000 pootable :x
I don't know what to say thanks to you 

-

Hi! Thankyou for aswering me 

I rename "portable_mode_enabled", and copy "foobar2000 Shell Associations Updater.exe" and "ShellExt32.dll" and "icons folder" from "C:Program Filesfoobar2000" to folder Foobar2000 portable. Now i can use "File type association" in Foobar2000 portable. That's so great!

Reply #8
You know, you could just back up the configuration folder. Most people who wipe and restore their systems tend to keep a copy of their old C:\Users so they may selectively restore it on the new system. The entirety of foobar2000 settings are located under the %appdata%\foobar2000 folder, where %appdata% is the environment variable which resolves to your user folder. Just in case you have some silly shell that won't resolve those, under Windows XP, that would be C:\Documents and Settings\<user>\Application Data\, and under Vista and 7 that would be C:\Users\<user>\AppData\Roaming\.

Backing up the contents of that folder is sufficient to keep all of your foobar2000 settings, except in special cases. For instance, there is a VST plug-in wrapper which presents each plug-in as a single DSP component. That stores the list of VST plug-ins in the registry, since the foobar2000 configuration is not available to the component soon enough for it to present a list of DSP components to the player core. I think that is the only special case, though.

Also, if you've installed this "portable" mish-mash under Program Files, and you have UAC enabled, then your settings will probably be lost or something. I don't really know how that works with proper Windows 7 applications.

Reply #9
Hi Kode54! I use Window XP. I know i can backup C:\Documents and Settings\<user>\Application Data\foobar2000 but I always forgot it :"< That's why I like portable more

Reply #10
Would this not help?

foo_jesus

Reply #11
Would this not help?

foo_jesus

Hi Tpijag! I use foobar2000 portable so I think I don't need "foo_jesus". Thankyou for ur suggest!

Reply #12
I use foobar2000 portable so I think I don't need "foo_jesus".

Files of a portable installation can exactly the same become corrupted or get lost as files of a normal installation.

You should follow tpijag's advice, chumeo_di_hia.

Reply #13
I use foobar2000 portable so I think I don't need "foo_jesus".

Files of a portable installation can exactly the same become corrupted or get lost as files of a normal installation.

You should follow tpijag's advice, chumeo_di_hia.

Yes, I will try "foo_jesus". Thanks!

Reply #14
Then again, I never understood this need to reformat every few years. I've only ever installed newer versions of Windows, and even then, I kept all my old crap on the same drive instead of reformatting, then migrated it all over from the Windows.old folder.

Reply #15
Good to know about that user_profiles_enabled file, Placio74! It seems that's what I've got going on anyway - profile files are in the foobar2000 executable folder, so it's "portable" in that sense, but shell integration is still available. This is precisely shakey_snake's portable mode that's not portable - although of course it's the converse, a non-portable mode that's perfectly portable. There used to be an option in preferences to opt for configuration files to be with the executable, but it was removed a while back, and we weren't able to convince the developers to put it back.

Reply #16
Then again, I never understood this need to reformat every few years. I've only ever installed newer versions of Windows, and even then, I kept all my old crap on the same drive instead of reformatting, then migrated it all over from the Windows.old folder.

I use symantec norton ghost 1 time/2 month. My friend use symantec norton ghost 2 times/1 month

Reply #17
Yeah! m/  Thankyou very very much for your help. I rename "portable_mode_enabled", and copy "ShellExt32.dll" and "icons folder" and "foobar2000 Shell Associations Updater.exe" from "C:Program Filesfoobar2000" to folder Foobar2000 portable. Now i can use "File type association" in foobar2000 pootable :x
I don't know what to say thanks to you 

Thx, used the same method for v 1.1.1.14a and it works. And yes i like the semi-portable foobar2000, its just less work when migrating or using multiboot setup.

Re: File association with foobar2000 portable (v1.1.7)

Reply #18
Seven years on, this still works even though my directory didn't have a "portable_mode_enabled" file. I really appreciated the info!

Re: File association with foobar2000 portable (v1.1.7)

Reply #19
Folks, it seems Peter dramatically changed the way configuration is stored in Foobar2000 2.*. So when you remove portable_mode_enabled file and run the app, it creates foobar2000-v2 configuration folder in your user profile and forgets there is a portable configuration. Aggrrhh! Well, now we have to think of a new workaround.

A junction point comes to mind as follows:
mklink /J "%AppData%\foobar2000-v2" "C:\Apps\Portable\Foobar2000\profile"
• Join our efforts to make Helix MP3 encoder great again
• Opus complexity & qAAC dependence on Apple is an aberration from Vorbis & Musepack breakthroughs
• Let's pray that D. Bryant improve WavPack hybrid, C. Helmrich update FSLAC, M. van Beurden teach FLAC to handle non-audio data