Skip to main content

Notice

Please note that most of the software linked on this forum is likely to be safe to use. If you are unsure, feel free to ask in the relevant topics, or send a private message to an administrator or moderator. To help curb the problems of false positives, or in the event that you do find actual malware, you can contribute through the article linked here.
Topic: Any opinions on the *fastest* cd ripper? (Read 5510 times) previous topic - next topic

Any opinions on the *fastest* cd ripper?

Hi, I used to think WMP9-11 were (yes I know they're not THEEE most audiophile, but hey I have too many CDs to rip right now and I hate waiting around forever. My second guess was FreeRip which seems fast. I rip normally mp3 LAME 3.98 V2 (if that helps in knowing what would rip fastest) (except for WMP11 wma vbr 135-215). And lastly CDex would be my 3rd guess as a fast ripper. If anyone has a speed chart comparison or good personal experiences with fast rippers, I'd love to hear your input,

Thanks

Reply #1
Hi, I used to think WMP9-11 were (yes I know they're not THEEE most audiophile, but hey I have too many CDs to rip right now and I hate waiting around forever. My second guess was FreeRip which seems fast. I rip normally mp3 LAME 3.98 V2 (if that helps in knowing what would rip fastest) (except for WMP11 wma vbr 135-215). And lastly CDex would be my 3rd guess as a fast ripper. If anyone has a speed chart comparison or good personal experiences with fast rippers, I'd love to hear your input,

IMO - On clean, scratch-free discs, dbpoweramp usually rips each of my CDs in <= 2 minutes.

Assumptions:

1. You have set dbpoweramp up properly to use accuraterip and you have an appropriate and correctly configured desktop optical drive. 

2. You have a contemporary desktop machine (dual core) and a relatively fast PATA or SATA hard drive.

3. You select a lossy codec at typical settings.  There are some CPU-optimized codecs available for dbpoweramp that can encode fast at even the high-quality lossy (or high-compression for lossless) settings.

The fast rip happens in either burst or secure mode if the disc is found in accuraterip and ripped with no detected errors.  If it's not found in accuraterip or the track checksums don't match, secure mode will take substantially longer, but burst won't (of course, in the latter case, one may not like the audio results).

-brendan

Reply #2
If you wish blazing speed rips, consider buying a Pioneer drive as well. Mine rips CD-DA at 52x CAV.
If you don't have such a reckless drive already, it might also help you speed up the ripping.

Reply #3
EAC using burst mode should be as fast as WMP. Later on when you have more time, you can take a look at the logs and re-rip the discs not verified by accuraterip.

You can also use musepack or vorbis lancer which are faster than lame (last time I checked).

You can save time with WMP but if you end up with the nagging feeling your rips are not good as they can be, you'll end up re-ripping again in the future.

Reply #4

Thanks

CDex is pretty fast and it's secure. I use it all of the time to rip most of my CD's. On The Fly Encoding is a real nice feature to have and no we don't have any comparison's of rippers in terms of speed yet. That might be a future wiki topic, although I don't have the manpower or the resources to write a page like that. 
budding I.T professional

Reply #5
I just use foobar. On my laptop -> flac it's going at about 15x.

the way to do it is encode to flac/ape. lossless is always faster than mp3 conversion, and it preserves tags.

Then overnight convert from flac/ape to mp3.

Re: Any opinions on the *fastest* cd ripper?

Reply #6
I use TAudioConverter - it's pretty fast!

Reply #7
I'd think you'd want the most likely to be accurate ripper, not the fastest.  Otherwise you'll be going back and doing it again because of all the bad rips.  I speak from experience.

Reply #8
A nice example of necroposting anyway
TheWellTemperedComputer.com

Reply #9
Also TAudioConverter is an open source file converter, which doesn't appear to have much to do with CD ripping. And it's only so fast because it supports multi-threaded conversion of multiple files simultaneously, something you can't realistically do with a CD ripper, unless your CD is ripping much faster than you can encode the tracks, which is probably a sign that it's not a very secure ripper.