Skip to main content

Notice

Please note that most of the software linked on this forum is likely to be safe to use. If you are unsure, feel free to ask in the relevant topics, or send a private message to an administrator or moderator. To help curb the problems of false positives, or in the event that you do find actual malware, you can contribute through the article linked here.
Topic: error reading (CUI?) configuration file (Read 199 times) previous topic - next topic

error reading (CUI?) configuration file

Hi, I've had to forcibly re-setup windows. i.e. my system crashed, Windows was unbootable. I still have the drive with all the files on it, which means I have located my installation of foobar200. I hadn't updated it in a long time, so I was sitting on Version 1.6.7

I found a folder in ProgramFiles and one in AppData\Roaming.

I copied both of them over and tried to launch it, receiving this error message:
Error reading configuration file (Corrupted configuration file). If you choose to ignore, configuration data may be irreversibly lost.

So. I've been trying ever since to isolate the issue and have found that it must be the foo_ui_columns.dll.cfg . If I don't copy that one, the program launches.

So the question is how can I still use it? I would like to not do all that work again to set up columns UI

does anyone have any idea as to what I could do?

Re: error reading (CUI?) configuration file

Reply #1
Really what you need is a backup of the file. On the off chance that Windows has backed it up and located the backup in the new Windows installation, you could open Properties in File Explorer on the original file, and check the Previous Versions tab.

If you don't have a backup, you could open the file in a hex editor to see if it's obviously very badly corrupted (e.g. full of zeroes), or at least retrieve things like titleformatting strings if the file is mostly intact.

Re: error reading (CUI?) configuration file

Reply #2
I do have the file, as stated. And it is not damaged. I opened it in a HEX editor and it does show some odd symbols but it also shows some of the functions and text I typed in myself. Like my progress bar or my Heart-Rating System.

the "original, vanilla" cfg file does look the same. I attached it here, I don't think - hope at any rate - that there's no personal information in it...

So, I'm a little closer now. I downloaded foobar2000-v2 and DELETED the AppData - Folder. It asked me to import my old config, I clicked yes and navigated to the BACKUP of my old foobar2000-1.6.7 version. The layout is wrong though and all the colors are not right, but at least a couple of things are back...