Skip to main content

Notice

Please note that most of the software linked on this forum is likely to be safe to use. If you are unsure, feel free to ask in the relevant topics, or send a private message to an administrator or moderator. To help curb the problems of false positives, or in the event that you do find actual malware, you can contribute through the article linked here.
Topic: Converter over-writing files with the same name [1.4.1] (Read 963 times) previous topic - next topic

Converter over-writing files with the same name [1.4.1]

Recently tried to re-encode a soundtrack album stored in individual FLAC tracks, some of which have the same title. Under the 'if file already exists...' option, I always have 'Ask' selected. For file name output/formatting, I just use %title%.

As is often the case with soundtrack albums, several tracks had the same title (and thus file) name. The output was missing several tracks: After doing some experimenting, I've concluded that Foobar is now automatically over-writing earlier tracks with later tracks of the same name, whereas older versions would 'ask' me what to do in each instance. If I change the output track name to something like '%track% - %title%', it of course works fine and I do not lose any files.

tl;dr: I can only assume that the converter tool's 'ask' option is no longer functional, and it is instead defaulting to 'overwrite'.

Re: Converter over-writing files with the same name [1.4.1]

Reply #1
Is anyone else able to duplicate this behaviour?

Reply #2
Yes and Peter has been made aware of it. There shouldn't be a need to bump topics unless a new version gets released without a fix.

Reply #3
Thanks for the bug report.
The 'ask' feature works properly - but only against files that existed prior to the conversion.
I'll make the converter use unique filenames when this scenario occurs rather than overwrite files that it just wrote.
Microsoft Windows: We can't script here, this is bat country.

Reply #4
Thanks for the bug report.
The 'ask' feature works properly - but only against files that existed prior to the conversion.
I'll make the converter use unique filenames when this scenario occurs rather than overwrite files that it just wrote.

Many thanks!

Reply #5
Fixed in 1.4.2 beta 1.
Microsoft Windows: We can't script here, this is bat country.