Skip to main content

Notice

Please note that most of the software linked on this forum is likely to be safe to use. If you are unsure, feel free to ask in the relevant topics, or send a private message to an administrator or moderator. To help curb the problems of false positives, or in the event that you do find actual malware, you can contribute through the article linked here.
Topic: iPod manager (Read 2220773 times) previous topic - next topic

[seemingly abandonware] iPod manager

Reply #2075
I don't really want anymore backups...

Are you using iTunes 8.2.0.23 ? There doesn't seem to be any reference to this iTunesCDB file in the pre-release 8.2 versions, seems to be something they saved for the final release.

Anyway you can double check what happens if you modify one of the file paths in the Locations.itdb database if you want... (remember to do something to make it reload the DB also..)

Reply #2076
Here is a Locations.itdb.cbk beside the Locations.itdb too, it is Locations.itdb 's backup file? but it is so small.

The iTunesCDB file's struct seems some different than iTunesDB's. 

Reply #2077
* iPhone/iPod Touch 3.0 work-around for foo_dop *

PLEASE NOTE:
1. foo_dop will never see anything added by iTunes, those will go into oblivion (this is because firmware 3.0 doesn't use iTunesDB any longer, and we delete iTunesCDB file in step 4 below)
2. This applies to final iTunes 8.2.0.23 (tested on Windows XP SP3, though should work for Vista/7)
3. You can't use foo_dop 0.6.4.5 (I used foo_dop 0.6.4.2)

After a little testing with my iPod Touch 1G (under instruction from musicmusic), songs synced using foo_dop are visible on iPods running the 3.0 firmware. Unfortunately it requires the use of iTunes after foo_dop has been used to sync, but I will explain why.

This work-around requires iPhoneBrowser 1.91. For users with jailbroken iPods, you can alternatively SSH into your device, or use the Mobile Terminal app installed through Cydia (I find iPhoneBrowser is the quickest method).

1. Before starting, REMOVE all the songs from your iPod using iTunes.
2. Start foobar2000 and sync songs to your iPod with foo_dop as usual.
3. When you're done, start up iPhoneBrowser (or SSH/Mobile Terminal) and in the left hand pane, navigate to /User/Media/iTunes_Control/iTunes
4. In the right hand pane, delete the iTunesCDB file (NOT the iTunesDB file).
5. Start up iTunes and allow it to find your iPod. If you look in the music section, you should see all the files synced using foo_dop.
6. Close iTunes.
7. You must carry out steps 3-6 whenever adding/removing songs with foo_dop

What's happening is iTunes doesn't see the iTunesCDB file when connecting to the iPod during step 5 (because it was deleted), but it does see the iTunesDB file created by foo_dop. It then converts foo_dop's iTunesDB to the new iTunesCDB format and syncs the new database file back to the iPod.

Reply #2078
Great news!!!  I just test it by my iPhone 3G with OS3.0, iTunes 8.2.0.23, foo_dop 0.6.4.4, Windows 7-64bit(build 7137)
iPhone can find the file added by foo_dop, but ringtones and videos would disappear!

Though it's not as convenient as before, thanks musicmusic and fraganator !

Reply #2079
so it is as easy as deleting the iTunesCDB file?

wow, I am not a foo_dop user (but ended up in this forum looking for information about the new iTunesDB).. and if its just as simple as that, then that's gonna be seriously valuable information for us developing third party software that messes up with the music library

I'm gonna try this now.

Reply #2080
so it is as easy as deleting the iTunesCDB file?

wow, I am not a foo_dop user (but ended up in this forum looking for information about the new iTunesDB).. and if its just as simple as that, then that's gonna be seriously valuable information for us developing third party software that messes up with the music library

I'm gonna try this now.

ok, quick update on this. some fellow developers figured out that the iTunesCDB is just the iTunesDB compressed with zlib + mhbd header at the beggining. so I guess what we need to figure out now is how to update/regenerate the SQLite databases.

Reply #2081
ok, quick update on this. some fellow developers figured out that the iTunesCDB is just the iTunesDB compressed with zlib + mhbd header at the beggining.
That's right, I've known this since earlier today  It shouldn't be too hard to add read/write support for iTunesCDB, hopefully the open & close iTunes solution will work then without too much pain....

Reply #2082
ok, quick update on this. some fellow developers figured out that the iTunesCDB is just the iTunesDB compressed with zlib + mhbd header at the beggining. so I guess what we need to figure out now is how to update/regenerate the SQLite databases.

That's great news  Thankfully SQLite is an open standard, so it shouldn't take too long.

Reply #2083

That's great news  Thankfully SQLite is an open standard, so it shouldn't take too long.

Of course it is, but maybe there's something that could do the SQLite stuff for us.. without having to get into there and manually insert all the needed records...

Reply #2084

Hope the SQLite databases will be cracked soonm

Reply #2085
I've uploaded version 0.6.4.6. This should read & write the iTunesCDB database file OK. The hope is that it does, and that then opening and closing iTunes will be enough to make the iPhone/iPod touch see the updates... If someone could let me know if it works or not  (I would backup your current iTunesCDB database first.)

You need the zlib library in your foobar2000 directory for this version, link on download page.

Reply #2086
Thanks for the update musicmusic  Here are the issues I've encountered so far with version 0.6.4.6:

1. In most cases, opening and closing iTunes doesn't auto update iTunesCDB. Have to query a song from the iPod first (either by playing it or checking its properties) to get it to rewrite the iTunesCDB file. I'm guessing when iTunesCDB is missing altogether, iTunes will make it a priority to rewrite the new database, otherwise it just waits until a rewrite is necessary.

2. Songs synced via iTunes are lost after a sync using foo_dop (expected behaviour?)

3. Performing two successive syncs with foo_dop will lose all the songs performed during the first sync. This was tested by performing a sync, loading the library, performing a second sync, then loading the library again. Only the songs synced during the second sync appear from the load library. The same behaviour is seen when using iTunes to view the files in place of the load library function. Recovering the orphaned tracks is able to see the tracks lost during the first sync.

4. Other than that, load library works (can read songs added from iTunes)

5. Cover art sometimes not appearing on iPod for 1 or 2 tracks in an album (I don't know if this was an existing issue or not, but it's the first time I'd encountered it)

Reply #2087
1. In most cases, opening and closing iTunes doesn't auto update iTunesCDB. Have to query a song from the iPod first (either by playing it or checking its properties) to get it to rewrite the iTunesCDB file. I'm guessing when iTunesCDB is missing altogether, iTunes will make it a priority to rewrite the new database, otherwise it just waits until a rewrite is necessary.
Hi,
As far as I know, iTunes will rewrite the normal database if you open, wait a bit & close it again. But I don't know how exactly updating the SQLite DB fits in with that, which is what we want. So hmm...

2. Songs synced via iTunes are lost after a sync using foo_dop (expected behaviour?)

3. Performing two successive syncs with foo_dop will lose all the songs performed during the first sync. This was tested by performing a sync, loading the library, performing a second sync, then loading the library again. Only the songs synced during the second sync appear from the load library. The same behaviour is seen when using iTunes to view the files in place of the load library function. Recovering the orphaned tracks is able to see the tracks lost during the first sync.
Sync will remove anything that you didn't select to sync (with certain exceptions like podcasts), are you selecting completely different sets of files then? The orphaned files, could they be from earlier tests?
Did you close iTunes (and wait a few seconds) before running any foo_dop commands?

5. Cover art sometimes not appearing on iPod for 1 or 2 tracks in an album (I don't know if this was an existing issue or not, but it's the first time I'd encountered it)
Can you check what is listed in the Artwork column under 'Manage contents'? That should tell if it is a problem detecting the original artwork, or some other database issue.

Reply #2088
As far as I know, iTunes will rewrite the normal database if you open, wait a bit & close it again. But I don't know how exactly updating the SQLite DB fits in with that, which is what we want. So hmm...

I did a sync using foo_dop, then opened iTunes and left it for a couple of minutes, then checked if the music was on the iPod but without success. So it seems the SQLite DB needs some prompting to be rewritten. I've found most any interaction with the playlist through iTunes will cause a sync (you can see it happen on the iPod's screen).

Sync will remove anything that you didn't select to sync (with certain exceptions like podcasts), are you selecting completely different sets of files then? The orphaned files, could they be from earlier tests?
Did you close iTunes (and wait a few seconds) before running any foo_dop commands?

Apologies, I should've been clearer when saying sync. I usually just right-click on a selected album, then choose iPod->Send to iPod, not Sync with Ipod (or do I have the wrong end of the stick with what function does what?). Just to be sure the orphaned files weren't from other tests, I did a recover orphaned files and deleted them using itunes. I also went into the Music/Fxx folders and checked they were empty. I then repeated the 'foo_dop send album1->foo_dop load library->foo_dop send album2->foo_dop load library' test, but only album2 shows up. iTunes isn't opened during the test. I also tried 'foo_dop send album1->open/close iTunes (with DB update)->foo_dop send album2->open/close iTunes (with DB update)->foo_dop load library' and could only see album2. Can anyone else with an iPhone/iPod touch confirm this behaviour?

Can you check what is listed in the Artwork column under 'Manage contents'? That should tell if it is a problem detecting the original artwork, or some other database issue.

Under the manage contents section, the artwork says nothing for the song with missing art, but yes for the rest with art. I realised that the song with missing artwork is the same song I play/view the properties of in iTunes to force it to sync the database, so it must be messing with the artwork some how.

Reply #2089
I then repeated the 'foo_dop send album1->foo_dop load library->foo_dop send album2->foo_dop load library' test, but only album2 shows up. iTunes isn't opened during the test.
If that's right with Send to iPod, and the first album was there after the first load library, it sounds like my fault. Does 'Rewrite database' in the File menu also wipe all songs off?

I realised that the song with missing artwork is the same song I play/view the properties of in iTunes to force it to sync the database, so it must be messing with the artwork some how.
Yes, it will like to do that unfortunately..

Reply #2090
firstly i want to say thank you to the developer of this fine plugin.

my setup:
xp pro v2002 SP3
foobar 9.5.3
foo_dop 0.6.4.2

ipod nano 4thGen firmware 1.03
itunes 8.2.0.23

is there a way to display the track number with the song title during playback on the nano?

many thanks once again

Reply #2091
You COULD tweak the field remappings in foo_dop's preferences.
Title: %tracknumber%. %title%

Other than that - no, it's a limitation of the iPods.

Reply #2092
I'm using an iPod touch 2G with OS 3.0. With the latest release of foo_dop, following the instructions outlined above, I am able to add files to the iPod using foobar2000. I have not experienced any problems as yet. But: I never add files using iTunes, so some of the problems mentioned above do not apply to me. Also: I usually remove files with iTunes because of the handy browser. But, just so you know, things are working for me, though obviously this is a work-around.

Reply #2093
You COULD tweak the field remappings in foo_dop's preferences.
Title: %tracknumber%. %title%

Other than that - no, it's a limitation of the iPods.

that worked great. thank you!!

Reply #2094
Does 'Rewrite database' in the File menu also wipe all songs off?

Rewrite database works without a problem. I had a couple of albums on the iPod and sent another one to it, did a rewrite, and loaded the library and all three appeared.

Reply #2095
I found the error (sorry). Just uploaded 0.6.4.7, should be OK now.

PS. This may make a difference to what you have to do to trigger iTunes into updating the DB.

Reply #2096
ok, quick update on this. some fellow developers figured out that the iTunesCDB is just the iTunesDB compressed with zlib + mhbd header at the beggining.
That's right, I've known this since earlier today  It shouldn't be too hard to add read/write support for iTunesCDB, hopefully the open & close iTunes solution will work then without too much pain....

in the iTunesDB, here are 6 MHSD, the types are: 4(mhla),1(mhlt),6(mhlt),3(mhlp),2(mhlp),5(mhlp),
but in iTunesCDB, here is one MHSD more, a 8(mhli) between 4(mhla) and 1(mhlt)...

Reply #2097
Thanks again for your tireless efforts musicmusic! The Send to iPod issue is now gone in 0.6.4.7  iTunes still needs some prompting to rewrite iTunesCDB. To get around iTunes losing artwork when querying a file (when I try force it to do a DB rewrite), I do a Get Info on a 'dummy' mp3 in the library, so it doesn't matter if its artwork gets lost.

Reply #2098
For some reason, Foobar won't recognize my ipod anymore. Last week, I was able to sync with no problems, but now it's telling me that there's no ipod found. I've got mobile device support enabled in foo_dop preferences and mobiledevicesign.dll in the right folder. Anyone know how I can fix this?
I just downgraded from 3.0 to 2.1 and I have no music on it

Reply #2099
The Send to iPod issue is now gone in 0.6.4.7
Thank you for confirming

For some reason, Foobar won't recognize my ipod anymore. Last week, I was able to sync with no problems, but now it's telling me that there's no ipod found. I've got mobile device support enabled in foo_dop preferences and mobiledevicesign.dll in the right folder. Anyone know how I can fix this?
I just downgraded from 3.0 to 2.1 and I have no music on it
Have a look in the foobar2000 console and see here.