Skip to main content

Notice

Please note that most of the software linked on this forum is likely to be safe to use. If you are unsure, feel free to ask in the relevant topics, or send a private message to an administrator or moderator. To help curb the problems of false positives, or in the event that you do find actual malware, you can contribute through the article linked here.
Topic: Cowon E2 and Cube C30 maximum output powers (Read 4558 times) previous topic - next topic

Cowon E2 and Cube C30 maximum output powers

Dear Sirs and Madams,

Is it possible that one of you, with proper equipment, could measure Cowon E2's and/or Cube C30/C60(a.k.a. Nationite Naninte N2)[they are using the same hardware] maximum output powers and post their results? It would be great if you could rate output impedance and frequency response also. It is nearly impossible to find such information on the web.

I would greatly appreciate it. Thanks in advance.

Andrew

Reply #1
It can be hard to find that information for popular players, let alone very obscure ones like that.  Any reason you're interested in them specifically?

Reply #2
Firstly, thank you for your reply.

Secondly, I find these DAPs quite popular, with price around Clip+ level, in the area where I live, which is Poland.

I know it is very hard to find that kind of information. I normally rely on nwavguy's blog(for technical knowledge), http://rmaa.elektrokrishna.com site(for more specific players info) and other hidden somewhere pages.

I am asking about so specific information because, as I've read, Cube C30/C60's amplifier( http://maxim-ic.com/MAX9722B ) is capable of producing 70mW into a 16Ω load and 130mW(!!!) into a 32Ω load. I wanted to verify, if that's true. It would be nice to use it without external amplifier, which I don't own nor I need one now, but I would like to buy more power-hungry headphones in near future.

In regard to Cowon, my friend is saying that this player was capable of driving, 250Ω/96dB sensitivity, Beyerdynamic's DT880 into usable sound level. I find this very hard to believe, even Cowon site says that this DAP produces only 12mW into a 16Ω load. I would like to verify this as well, for the reasons stated earlier.

Using nwavguy's guide to "power" ( http://nwavguy.blogspot.com/2011/09/more-power.html ) these DTs would need around 12mW of pure output power to be driven into peak SPL of 105dB. And E2 is producing only 0.7mW into 250Ω load, of course accordingly to manufacturer data.

And the reason I am asking all these specific questions is, that I would like to buy something more powerful than Clip+, which I currently own, while keeping almost perfect sound quality and without all "bells and whistles" found in Cowon J3, D3, Sony X10xx or any other smartphonish-DAP.

Cheers,
Andrew

Reply #3
I am asking about so specific information because, as I've read, Cube C30/C60's amplifier( http://maxim-ic.com/MAX9722B ) is capable of producing 70mW into a 16? load and 130mW(!!!) into a 32? load. I wanted to verify, if that's true.

Thats at 5.5v supply though.  Most amps will put out tons of power if they have access to such a high rail voltage.  Generally they don't though, and at 2.5v the output of that chip is very similar to the Clip+.  For this reason, most devices are within a few dB of each other.

And the reason I am asking all these specific questions is, that I would like to buy something more powerful than Clip+, which I currently own, while keeping almost perfect sound quality and without all "bells and whistles" found in Cowon J3, D3, Sony X10xx or any other smartphonish-DAP.

I think some of the newer Cowon players can go a dB or two louder then the Clip, but thats about as high as you're likely to get.  IMO buying such hard to drive headphones for a portable player doesn't make much sense.  I also kind of wonder if you really want to listen to audio at > 100dB SPL.  Thats not the best thing for your hearing, nor all that comfortable to do.

Reply #4
Oh, you have crushed my dreams... So with Cube's amp it's all a lie? They even advertise in official press 130mW of output power. Eh...

With these DT880 it was just a test, nobody normal would listen to so hardly driven headphones with a portable player, of course. I wanted to put some perspective there.

I think I have to revise my headphones choices a little, but multiple-drivers balanced armatures can be quite difficult to drive, because their impedance is changing with frequency response, sometimes drastically.

It all comes to this, that there is in point in buying a DAP other than Clip+/Fuze, if (objectively measured) great sound quality is needed, and the possible difference is 3dB in loudness, which is almost negligible. I don't know anyone, who listens to music at full volume. The market is drifting towards making DAPs another smartphones with big displays and touch-everything.

It saddens me a little. I've got one smartphone already.

Thanks for your input, anyway:)

Cheers,
Andrew

Reply #5
Oh, you have crushed my dreams... So with Cube's amp it's all a lie? They even advertise in official press 130mW of output power. Eh...

Well get one and see, but I don't think I've ever seen an mp3 player that had a rail available that was higher then 3.3v, and most run their DAC well below that. Most SOCs don't even provide a transformer that can supply enough power at 5v to drive anything of interest. 

I think I have to revise my headphones choices a little, but multiple-drivers balanced armatures can be quite difficult to drive, because their impedance is changing with frequency response, sometimes drastically.

Sure, but that has little to do with output power.  If you want to drive one of those, get a Clip+ or maybe one of the newest Cowons (the older ones tended to have higher output impedance).

It all comes to this, that there is in point in buying a DAP other than Clip+/Fuze, if (objectively measured) great sound quality is needed, and the possible difference is 3dB in loudness, which is almost negligible. I don't know anyone, who listens to music at full volume. The market is drifting towards making DAPs another smartphones with big displays and touch-everything.

The Clip+ comes down to taste of course, but I don't think theres any point at looking at the output power of mp3 players.  It really doesn't matter at all to 99.9% of people, and most of the rest should probably have picked better headphones