Skip to main content

Notice

Please note that most of the software linked on this forum is likely to be safe to use. If you are unsure, feel free to ask in the relevant topics, or send a private message to an administrator or moderator. To help curb the problems of false positives, or in the event that you do find actual malware, you can contribute through the article linked here.
Topic: Loudness Range (LRA) measuring in Foobar (Read 6389 times) previous topic - next topic

Re: Loudness Range (LRA) measuring in Foobar

Reply #25
Its written in at least 4 places in that wiki and that you must create a folder named like that and put things there though xd

But anyway, if someone thinks the zip file should also contain the 'xxx-scripts' folder, so there is no confusion to where it goes... let me know. I'm open to make it easier for people.

Reply #26
Random thought: prepack all scripts inside your own copy of SMP and distribute that. It's impossible to go wrong.

I'm assuming the average end user isn't editing your scripts and only consuming them?

One obvious downside is the larger download.

Reply #27
Its written in at least 4 places in that wiki and that you must create a folder named like that and put things there though xd

But anyway, if someone thinks the zip file should also contain the 'xxx-scripts' folder, so there is no confusion to where it goes... let me know. I'm open to make it easier for people.

I don't  know about that.
But I do like the idea of presenting packages (like the other SMP's I'm using) to install so that idiots like me cannot make mistakes.

Anyway, I was able to automatically write LRA tags to an album. Scanning was quick. Bit surprised about large range of differences between tracks of the same album running from 3.9 to 12.8.

Unfortunately it messes up SMP with the unresponsive script thing and thus trashed all my other SMP panels (6 instances of WillB scripts) and fooBar has to be killed via task manager as a result.
Did some testing. Happens when I either scan for LRA via ffmpeg or LRA via essentia. Scanning for Replaygain and DR don't have this issue.

Apparently things never go smoothly with me.

EDIT: Received an errorcode in the end. I attached a screenshot

Reply #28

But I do like the idea of presenting packages (like the other SMP's I'm using) to install so that idiots like me cannot make mistakes.

Anyway, I was able to automatically write LRA tags to an album. Scanning was quick. Bit surprised about large range of differences between tracks of the same album running from 3.9 to 12.8.

Unfortunately it messes up SMP with the unresponsive script thing and thus trashed all my other SMP panels (6 instances of WillB scripts) and fooBar has to be killed via task manager as a result.
Did some testing. Happens when I either scan for LRA via ffmpeg or LRA via essentia. Scanning for Replaygain and DR don't have this issue.

This is normal, is only that the script is taking a time to finish. You select don't ask again and continue and the task continue normally.
Until the next close and open foobar that show up again in scripts that take a long time.

In advanced preferences SMP you can rise up the time to show the pop-up to 60 seconds.

Don't cancel, press continue

Reply #29

This is normal, is only that the script is taking a time to finish. You select don't ask again and continue and the task continue normally.
Until the next close and open foobar that show up again in scripts that take a long time.

In advanced preferences SMP you can rise up the time to show to 60 seconds.

Don't cancel, press continue

I noticed that this Playlist Tools panel continued to run, but the other ones crashed.

This scanning (tagging) is a one time thing. So if it takes some time I don't mind to have to wait, but I don't like other panels to crash and those panels always run (and crash) even when you don't display them.

Reply #30
This scanning (tagging) is a one time thing. So if it takes some time I don't mind to have to wait, but I don't like other panels to crash and those panels always run (and crash) even when you don't display them.

Pressing continue in the pop-up usually doesn't crash the panels, or shouldn't.

Reply #31
Not all scripts can be installed as packages, and the buttons can't. So there is a reason... you will not find any other script out there allowing you to create a toolbar exactly the same than native foobar and adding/removing buttons on demand, with full UI configuration. It obviously requires a bit of work, if people don't want to spend their time.. I'm fine. There are tons of themes out there meant to be used 'as is' or my other scripts as packages.

I could offer all my buttons on a single package, but then there would be no way to selectively download what people want (or create new buttons). I think I could automate such package anyway.

As noted, there is zero reason anything should crash unless you have not read the wiki (again)
https://github.com/regorxxx/Playlist-Tools-SMP/wiki/Known-problems-or-limitations
Which clearly tells what to do.

Now if you are talking about anything else, then feel free report it. Anyway that's a SMP problem, not mine, so it should be reported to the SMP thread. I can't do anything about it.

Reply #32
Not all scripts can be installed as packages, and the buttons can't. So there is a reason... you will not find any other script out there allowing you to create a toolbar exactly the same than native foobar and adding/removing buttons on demand, with full UI configuration. It obviously requires a bit of work, if people don't want to spend their time.. I'm fine. There are tons of themes out there meant to be used 'as is' or my other scripts as packages.

I could offer all my buttons on a single package, but then there would be no way to selectively download what people want (or create new buttons). I think I could automate such package anyway.

As noted, there is zero reason anything should crash unless you have not read the wiki (again)
https://github.com/regorxxx/Playlist-Tools-SMP/wiki/Known-problems-or-limitations
Which clearly tells what to do.

Now if you are talking about anything else, then feel free report it. Anyway that's a SMP problem, not mine, so it should be reported to the SMP thread. I can't do anything about it.

Thank you for this clear answer after I felt completely lost in wiki, installation scripts and readmes everywhere.

It's working. And my conclusion is unfortunately that I can't use it. I'll will try to find the SMP thread.

Reply #33
As others have said, nothing should crash if you follow @paregistrase indications. The popup will only appear once per session, if you tag some files. So it's not big deal anyway.

Another thing is if you let foobar2000 for minutes with that popup opened...

You may also ask some dev to compile SMP with that feature disabled. Which everybody would greatly appreciate without the possibility to disable at the preferences.

Reply #34
As others have said, nothing should crash if you follow @paregistrase indications. The popup will only appear once per session, if you tag some files. So it's not big deal anyway.

Another thing is if you let foobar2000 for minutes with that popup opened...

You may also ask some dev to compile SMP with that feature disabled. Which everybody would greatly appreciate without the possibility to disable at the preferences.

Yes, I did what he said after changing the warning time, gave it some time and that works.

It was by no means my intention to annoy you.

Reply #35
Yes, I did what he said after changing the warning time, gave it some time and that works.

It was by no means my intention to annoy you.
That popup annoys me hahahahah really, the more people complain about it, the better.

Reply #37
Probably a stupid question.

PLR and DR both have album versions available. LRA only writes track values.  Is there a way to also write a tagged value for album LRA?
(or is that somewhere in a wiki too).

Reason: In ELP Group Header (normally the album) I have only access to the LRA of the first track so I cannot calculate an average over track combined or track*time.

Reply #38

PLR and DR both have album versions available. LRA only writes track values.  Is there a way to also write a tagged value for album LRA?

Reason: In ELP Group Header (normally the album) I have only access to the LRA of the first track so I cannot calculate an average over track combined or track*time.
I have not implemented such thing, although it's technically possible averaging all LRA values after calculating them. I could implement it on future updates as an optional entry .

Reply #39

I have not implemented such thing, although it's technically possible averaging all LRA values after calculating them. I could implement it on future updates as an optional entry .

I like analogies. So yes, please do.

Reply #40
In the LUFS.txt there's a small glitch in the style script for CUI I think. It mentions "$if($get(PLR)," should be "$if($get(LUFS)," imo since PLR is not determined possible.

Reply #41

What are the PLR ​​and DR values? How are they determined and which component or script is responsible for them?

Reply #42
In the LUFS.txt there's a small glitch in the style script for CUI I think. It mentions "$if($get(PLR)," should be "$if($get(LUFS)," imo since PLR is not determined possible.
Right, thanks for the report

Reply #43
So after some initial hickups (wink wink) I am now able to use SMP Toolkit to automatically insert LRA tag, DR tag and replaygain in one go to tracks of a selected album which saves some mouseclicks (very nice!).

I wrote some central code also based on Regor's cui stuff (RG based formula's and values where to change colors) which presents LRA, LUFS, PLR and DR values based on rounded integer values. Certainly looks (optionally) quite colorful, but also takes a lot of width from the screen.

What I'm looking is a method to score/compare different versions of the same album at a glance without having to listen to these albums fully.
And what the priority for display for this fields is. Let's say I have all 4 available but I only want to show one field (or two fields). Which one(s)? The other fields are still available with mouseover

I tested with the first Van Halen album of which I have several different versions ranging from the first CD to HDCD to the Rhino 2015 remasters consisting of both the 96kHz/24bit as the cd version.

The values for LUFS and PLR don't differ that much for this particular album, but the LRA values are completely different from what I expected seeing the LUFS/PRL and DR for the same track.
Also quite remarkable to see very different LUFS, PLR, DR (but quite similar LRA) for the Rhino remasters that only should differ in being 96/24 and 44/16.

Curiously I checked some other albums that sound great actually. They have decent LUFS, PLR and FR scores, but the LRA scores are extremely bad.

So what am I missing? How to interpretate this info? Is there actually anything you can conclude based on these scores?

Reply #44

Hi @regor,

is it posiible to use/display your LRA without instaliing any scripts just using DUI.?
Alternatively could you tell how to display those valuses measured by MusicBee (with its LRA plugin) if foobar in Column DUI?
I scanned a file, it said that it was OK, I managed to display values in MusicBee but I do not see them in tags (using FB or dBPoweramp or Windows rightclick menu) and do not know what has to be written in order to display it in columns.

Reply #45
Are you sure the musicbee/plugin values are written to files and not stored internally in some database in the same way foo_playcount manages statistics? While there are options in foo_playcount for writing file tags, the most common use case is to let fb2k do its thing without touching your files.

If it really does write this data to file tags, you'll need to inspect them more deeply with other applications and figure out why fb2k can't display them. As an example, MusicBrainz Picard writes certain id3 frames that fb2k can't recognise. 

Reply #46
Are you sure the musicbee/plugin values are written to files and not stored internally in some database in the same way foo_playcount manages statistics? While there are options in foo_playcount for writing file tags, the most common use case is to let fb2k do its thing without touching your files.

If it really does write this data to file tags, you'll need to inspect them more deeply with other applications and figure out why fb2k can't display them. As an example, MusicBrainz Picard writes certain id3 frames that fb2k can't recognise. 

Thanks to you it turned out that MusicBee was actually writing them to some database. I changed it to writing to tags. But those values can be written to "custom fields" numbere from 1 to 16 and should be connected to some existing names. So I set the Custom field 14 to be LRA and connected it with "WWW Publisher". After scanning and looking at it with dBPoweramps Edit ID-Tag option I see a field named "Official publisher webpage". I used %WWW Publisher% and/or %Official publisher webpage% as Column description but it shows "?" How to find a proper formula for such things?

Reply #48

Hi @regor,
is it posiible to use/display your LRA without instaliing any scripts just using DUI.?

Regor's tool does write a tag LRA per scanned track. After scanning you can display those somewhere where title formatting is accepted just referring to [%LRA%].
LUFS and PLR are based on replaygainvalues and are thus available after replaygain has been scanned. Pretty long oneliners though. Available in track and album mode.
DR values need a separate DR scan that write track and album values in [%dynamic range%] and [%album dynamic range%]

It is all quite straightforward.

Reply #49
You need to check the fb2k properties dialog. If it can be seen there, the name will be obvious. If not, there probably isn't much you can do.

Thank you, that worked.

But why are the same fields named/displayed in three different ways?