Skip to main content

Notice

Please note that most of the software linked on this forum is likely to be safe to use. If you are unsure, feel free to ask in the relevant topics, or send a private message to an administrator or moderator. To help curb the problems of false positives, or in the event that you do find actual malware, you can contribute through the article linked here.
Topic: sync errors on particular cd... (Read 13395 times) previous topic - next topic

sync errors on particular cd...

i have a particular cd that is relatively new, that appears to be in very good condition; no visible scratches or other damage.  its relatively new, only a year old.  it is a original cd, not a copy.  im trying to copy an image and cue sheet of it w/ eac, and every time i try i get a "sync error" and progress is painfully slow.  the error detection lights light for a while, and then i get the sync error message after a while...  any suggestions?
a windows-free, linux user since 1/31/06.

Reply #1
i have a particular cd that is relatively new, that appears to be in very good condition; no visible scratches or other damage.  its relatively new, only a year old.  it is a original cd, not a copy.  im trying to copy an image and cue sheet of it w/ eac, and every time i try i get a "sync error" and progress is painfully slow.  the error detection lights light for a while, and then i get the sync error message after a while...  any suggestions?
[a href="index.php?act=findpost&pid=292216"][{POST_SNAPBACK}][/a]

I had the same problem with a copy protected CD, where it happened in two or three places. There was no audible problem in the places where it happened in the extracted files, so I didn't worry about it. Do you know if your CD has any copy protection?
Proverb for Paranoids: "If they can get you asking the wrong questions, they don't have to worry about answers."
-T. Pynchon (Gravity's Rainbow)

Reply #2
Sounds like a copy-protected CD.

Reply #3
Do you know if your CD has any copy protection?
[a href="index.php?act=findpost&pid=292219"][{POST_SNAPBACK}][/a]

not that i know of.  ive ripped it before w/o any problems...

Reply #4
ok, now this is weird.  when i rip the cd as individual tracks, it works fine; no sync errors.  i only have the problem when i try to rip the cd as an image and cue sheet.  when i do that, eac reports "suspicious positions" sporatically throughout the first 1:05 of the cd.  unfortunately, for backup and archival purposes, i would really like to rip it as an image and cue sheet.  what do you guys think now?

Reply #5
is that ^^ still consistent w/ a copy protected cd?

Reply #6
Make sure your drive isn't set to overread if overreading is not supported.

Reply #7
Make sure your drive isn't set to overread if overreading is not supported.
[a href="index.php?act=findpost&pid=292346"][{POST_SNAPBACK}][/a]

yeah, i have overread into lead in and lead out turned off, because my drive dosen't support it.  still same problem

Reply #8
What does the gap on the first track come out as?

I have problems like this when there is an INDEX 0 entry on TRACK 1 - or in EAC terms a large pregap on track one.

If you rip to tracks this pregap will just be ignored - thus no problems.

Do Action >Detect Gaps (F4) and tell us what the gap is for track 1.

Alternatively, put the CD in your HiFi CD player (if you have one) start playing, and hold down rewind.
I'm on a horse.

Reply #9
So I am not the only one... I had that with my LITE-ON LTR-52246S and several CDs. Not sure what causes the problem. Make sure you do a test-and-copy rip. For some reason, the CRCs did not match for me, although no read errors were reported.

Reply #10
Try ripping with Synchronize Between Tracks disabled. I know this option is normally recommended to be enabled, but it won't necessarily cause a problem. Accuraterip results can verify that. My LiteOn 52246S has also had this trouble with some discs, and turning off the synch option seemed to be the winner. (This drive also doesn't like to be told to allow speed reduction during extraction.)

Reply #11
What does the gap on the first track come out as?

I have problems like this when there is an INDEX 0 entry on TRACK 1 - or in EAC terms a large pregap on track one.

If you rip to tracks this pregap will just be ignored - thus no problems.

Do Action >Detect Gaps (F4) and tell us what the gap is for track 1.

Alternatively, put the CD in your HiFi CD player (if you have one) start playing, and hold down rewind.
[a href="index.php?act=findpost&pid=292406"][{POST_SNAPBACK}][/a]

track one on the cue sheet looks like this:
Code: [Select]
    INDEX 00 00:00:00
   INDEX 01 01:16:43

Reply #12
track one on the cue sheet looks like this:
Code: [Select]
    INDEX 00 00:00:00
   INDEX 01 01:16:43

Ooh, I love it when I'm right.

Unlike most CDs, this CD has a hidden track on track 1.  To listen to it put the CD in your HiFi CD player (if you have one) start playing, and hold down rewind.

I can never rip these CDs either.  I had partial success with my drive at work (it ripped Bloc Party's "Silent Alarm" but the hidden track was just blank).

Try Cosmo's suggestion and let me know how you get on please.

Edit: Is this because our drives won't read Lead In?
I'm on a horse.

Reply #13
Try Cosmo's suggestion and let me know how you get on please.
[a href="index.php?act=findpost&pid=292608"][{POST_SNAPBACK}][/a]

i still got a sync error...  i wish i had a plextor w/ lead-in.  it sounds like that would solve our problems...  anyways, the rip i have (the one that reported sync errors in the first 1:05) sounds ok to me.  if i have to, ill just stick w/ it, but it will always bug me that the log says there are errors.  are there any other suggestions.

or maybe i can use my room mate's plextor.  he dosen't want me to install eac on his computer though, so do you know if rips w/ plextools to a single wav file include pregaps and all that other good stuff?  i have sucessfully ripped a single wav from his plextor, and then created the cue sheet on my computer w/ eac.  would that work in this case?

Reply #14
i still got a sync error...

Damn.

i wish i had a plextor w/ lead-in.  it sounds like that would solve our problems...

Yes, this sole issue has made me consider it.

anyways, the rip i have (the one that reported sync errors in the first 1:05) sounds ok to me.  if i have to, ill just stick w/ it, but it will always bug me that the log says there are errors.  are there any other suggestions.

Yes, it is niggling that you haven't got a perfect rip.  That said, if the syn errors were only reported up to 1:05 they were only relating to the hidden track (the real track 1 starts at 1:16:43).  If you discount the hidden track all the main tracks should still be spot on.

or maybe i can use my room mate's plextor.  he dosen't want me to install eac on his computer though, so do you know if rips w/ plextools to a single wav file include pregaps and all that other good stuff?  i have sucessfully ripped a single wav from his plextor, and then created the cue sheet on my computer w/ eac.  would that work in this case?

If you've got access to a Plextor then I would definately give it a go.  I'm afraid I know nothing of Plextools.  However, from the way Plextor owners rate it, I'm sure it will do everything that you need.

Cue Plextools expert...
I'm on a horse.

Reply #15
im relatively new to using plextools (just since i found out my room mate had a plextor  ) so im not totally familiar w/ all the settings, but i just tried to rip the cd as a single wav file, and it does not have the hidden "pre-track."  the wav starts with the first track.  im disappointed and kinda suprised.  @ the plextools experts, is there some setting im missing?  what if i did install eac on his system?  would his plextor drive and eac handle the cd's "pre-track" better than my preinstalled lg drive?

Reply #16
This post (in another thread of yours!) may be of use.

You should also check the setting used on Plex to extract as this can have an impact on the CUE sheet if the pregap on the first track is longer than 2 seconds. Basically, if you did not have Plex "Check Pause" set (probably the case), then using EAC "Multiple WAVs with Gaps (Non Compliant)" will produce an appropriate CUE sheet for you. Note though that you will have lost any pregap that is longer than 2 seconds on the first track (which is probably no big deal).

But if you had "Check Pause" enabled in Plex, and the pregap on the first track is longer than 2 seconds then the CUE sheet will be incorrect (think the Index 00 of the second track will be in the wrong place). It all depend on the gap/pause options you used in Plex, and if the pregap on the first track is longer than 2 secs (happens to me on about every 10th CD I extract, so it's not usual but it happens).

So maybe you should make sure "Check Pause" is on.

If you did install EAC it would still be down to whether that specific drive could handle it - but, being a Plextor, I would suspect it will.
I'm on a horse.

Reply #17
yeah, on plextools, i had "check pause" and "include pause" enabled.  still no luck.  maybe ill ask him in the morning if i can install eac...  i dont know.  i mentioned it before and he seemed pretty reluctant.  can someone confirm that it will solve my problem before i go through the trouble of asking him?  thanks

Reply #18
yeah, on plextools, i had "check pause" and "include pause" enabled.  still no luck.  maybe ill ask him in the morning if i can install eac...  i dont know.  i mentioned it before and he seemed pretty reluctant.  can someone confirm that it will solve my problem before i go through the trouble of asking him?  thanks

I think we/they'd need to know the model to answer this accurately.

You should be able to check the Lead In/Out capabilites here:

http://www.forum.eac-audio.de/index.php?showforum=47

[span style='font-size:8pt;line-height:100%']Edit:spelling[/span]
I'm on a horse.

Reply #19
yeah, he has a PX-W5224A, firmware version 1.03.  according to that link, it does support overreading into lead-in/out.  so does that mean it will do what i need it to do? 

Reply #20
Sounds like it...

Can't you install EAC while he's not looking, do your bit, and uninstall it.
I'm on a horse.

Reply #21
Sounds like it...

Can't you install EAC while he's not looking, do your bit, and uninstall it.
[a href="index.php?act=findpost&pid=292645"][{POST_SNAPBACK}][/a]

im considering it.  i just have to wait till he goes to class...    i hope it works though.

Reply #22
Please let me know how you get on.

As I say, I've considered getting a Plextor mainly to resolve this issue.

[span style='font-size:8pt;line-height:100%']Edit: spelling (pub lunch)[/span]
I'm on a horse.

Reply #23
Please let me know how you get on.

As I say, I've considered getting a Plextor mainly to resolve this issue.

[span style='font-size:8pt;line-height:100%']Edit: spelling (pub lunch)[/span]
[a href="index.php?act=findpost&pid=292663"][{POST_SNAPBACK}][/a]

i haven't compressed or embedded the cue sheet, i was very limited on time this morning, but i did rip the wav image and cue sheet.  eac reported no errors, and when i played the image, low and behold, i heard the hidden track.  thank you so much.  i can sleep sound again, now that i have an error free, complete rip. 

edit: typo

Reply #24
Cool.  Glad it worked.

Oohhhh... I want a Plextor now.

Edit: Damn, they're cheap (PXW5224A).  I could get one for less than £30!  Hmmm.. how do i sneak it past my wife...
I'm on a horse.