Skip to main content

Notice

Please note that most of the software linked on this forum is likely to be safe to use. If you are unsure, feel free to ask in the relevant topics, or send a private message to an administrator or moderator. To help curb the problems of false positives, or in the event that you do find actual malware, you can contribute through the article linked here.
Topic: EAC Overread into the Lead-Out question (Read 6822 times) previous topic - next topic

EAC Overread into the Lead-Out question

I have a Pioneer Blu-Ray burner that Ive been using with EAC to rip my CD's. For this drive and seemingly most newer BD drives there isn't all too much info out there on the drives audio extraction features. From the limited info I have managed to find on it, the drive cant read into the lead out, (has an offset in the 600's). Accuraterip auto set the offset and it matched what I have read it should but I was still wondering about the ability to overread into the lead-out.

I did multiple tests with a few CD's, the first was ripped to with the overread option disabled, and EAC set to Fill up missing offset samples with silence. they ripped fine, no errors and all tracks including the last were accurately ripped according to the accuraterip plugin.

then I removed the fill up missing offset samples with silence option, and as expected, the last track had a missing samples error.

Then without changing that setting back, I enabled overread into lead-in and lead-out, and all tracks on the CD's ripped "accurately" again.

Does that mean my drive can Overread into the lead-out, or if it cant and that option is selected does it just default to fill up missing offset samples with silence or something like that? Ive read about people getting sync errors on the last track when they enable that option without the drive being able to do it, but don't know if that is what would happen every time.

lastly, if you enable the Overread option, does it matter what you select for the "Fill up missing offset samples with silence" option? Does it just ignore it, or should you select to have it enabled anyways?

Thanks for any info, been wondering about this a while.

Reply #1
Does that mean my drive can Overread into the lead-out
No.

, or if it cant and that option is selected does it just default to fill up missing offset samples with silence or something like that?
Yes.

Ive read about people getting sync errors on the last track when they enable that option without the drive being able to do it, but don't know if that is what would happen every time.
It usually only happens when the samples in the lead-out are non-null.

lastly, if you enable the Overread option, does it matter what you select for the "Fill up missing offset samples with silence" option?
The setting is completely irrelevant if overreading is enabled.

Just use EAC's "Detect read sample offset correction..." test to determine if your drive can overread or not.  It will be grayed-out if the "Use AccurateRip with this drive" checkbox is selected, in which case temporarily de-select it.

Most of the answers to the question you asked should be in our wiki, at least indirectly:
http://wiki.hydrogenaudio.org/index.php?ti...gory:EAC_Guides

Reply #2
Thank you very much, that was very helpful!