Skip to main content

Notice

Please note that most of the software linked on this forum is likely to be safe to use. If you are unsure, feel free to ask in the relevant topics, or send a private message to an administrator or moderator. To help curb the problems of false positives, or in the event that you do find actual malware, you can contribute through the article linked here.
Topic: Some EAC + LAME quests (Read 7154 times) previous topic - next topic

Some EAC + LAME quests

Hi.

I'm quite new to mp3 ripping and getting started with this. I'm using LAME 3.90.3 and EAC. First, I want to know what is --alt-present standard in "code".
I have thought if it's "-b 192 -m j -h -V 2 -B 192" but you wiser say that 

Next ones depends on ID3v2 tags. Now when I use EAC, it adds v1 tags perfectly, but v2 is a bit different. In "Track" there reads 04/18 but just want it to 4.
And what about "Encoded by" text? There is: Exact Audio Copy  (Secure mode)
No way, I want that away  (And even add some my own text there, such as LAME 3.90.3 or so, cause that is the encoder)

And still. I have managed to EAC name the files like this: 

04 - French Affair - My heart goes boom (la di da).mp3

How can I get some of those letters to lowercase?

That is all because:
a) I don't want to use some ID3 tag editor. Takes too much time. And also I want files to be exactly as they are encoded.
b) I have quite large collection to move on mp3.
c) I don't like uppercase

Some EAC + LAME quests

Reply #1
I'm quite new to mp3 ripping and getting started with this. I'm using LAME 3.90.3 and EAC. First, I want to know what is --alt-present standard in "code".

I couldn't give a fetid dingo's kidney.  I suggest you just use the presets and don't worry about it.  You aren't going to improve them by deconstructing them and tweaking.  Give it up.

Next ones depends on ID3v2 tags. Now when I use EAC, it adds v1 tags perfectly, but v2 is a bit different. In "Track" there reads 04/18 but just want it to 4.

Go to Compression Options > ID3 Tag > Use track format xx/xx in ID3V2 tags

And what about "Encoded by" text? There is: Exact Audio Copy   (Secure mode)
No way, I want that away  (And even add some my own text there, such as LAME 3.90.3 or so, cause that is the encoder)

I don't think you can stop  EAC writing this.

If you want to resolve this issue, and have more control over the encoding/tagging, I would suggest using LAME.EXE as an external compressor, and letting LAME tag the files.  This would resolve the xx/xx issue also.

And still. I have managed to EAC name the files like this: 

04 - French Affair - My heart goes boom (la di da).mp3

How can I get some of those letters to lowercase?

I don't think you can - unless you lowercase all your tag info (Database > Transform Actual CD Information > Lower All Characters).  Not advisable though.
I'm on a horse.

Some EAC + LAME quests

Reply #2
Go to Compression Options > ID3 Tag > Use track format xx/xx in ID3V2 tags

Cannot find. Maybe this version 0.95 prebeta 5 have not it? I remember seen it in earlier versions. Thanks.

I don't think you can stop  EAC writing this.    If you want to resolve this issue, and have more control over the encoding/tagging, I would suggest using LAME.EXE as an external compressor, and letting LAME tag the files.  This would resolve the xx/xx issue also.

Well have you any quide for that?
Or what program to use? (LAMEs command line?? That is a bit slow and doesn't have freedb support

I don't think you can - unless you lowercase all your tag info (Database > Transform Actual CD Information > Lower All Characters).  Not advisable though.  [a href="index.php?act=findpost&pid=309814"][{POST_SNAPBACK}][/a]

Well, then also ID3 tags are in lowercase (?) which I don't want. I think it is better to have another program just for making filenames in lowercase. Know any?

Some EAC + LAME quests

Reply #3
Cannot find. Maybe this version 0.95 prebeta 5 have not it? I remember seen it in earlier versions. Thanks.

Do you have any objections to upgrading to 0.95b2?  NB: if you choose to use LAME.EXE as an external compressor (see below) you can ignore this anyway.

Well have you any quide for that?
Or what program to use? (LAMEs command line?? That is a bit slow and doesn't have freedb support
Check the wiki.

NB: the recommended command line does not pass genre information - as LAME has a limited list of genres it understands and by default will not run if an unrecognised genre is passed.  As you ask about freedb I assume genre info is a requirement for you.

With this in mind I would suggest that you use LAME 3.96.1, and add --ignore-tag-errors in the command line to stop LAME falling over with an unknown genre, i.e.:

-alt-preset standard --add-id3v2 --pad-id3v2 --ignore-tag-errors --ta "%a" --tt "%t" --tl "%g" --ty "%y" --tn "%n" --tg "%m" %s %d

Also, obviously, be careful that the genre info in EAC has been populated and is a recognised/legal genre.

If you want to stay with 3.90.3 then you will just need to be extra careful with the genre you use in EAC (run LAME --genre-list to see all the genres LAME will accept).  You will also need to remove --ignore-tag-errors from the command line above.

Well, then also ID3 tags are in lowercase (?) which I don't want. I think it is better to have another program just for making filenames in lowercase. Know any?

No.  Not as part of the EAC process.  As a stand alone app I would use THE Rename (which is just a generally useful tool for renaming files, etc.)...

[span style='font-size:8pt;line-height:100%']Edit: more info on commandline and linked links rinky dink.[/span]
I'm on a horse.

Some EAC + LAME quests

Reply #4
First, I want to know what is --alt-present standard in "code".
[a href="index.php?act=findpost&pid=309806"][{POST_SNAPBACK}][/a]

I don't know where you got that one, but it doesn't even come close. And by the way, setting the lower bitrate limit equal to the higher bitrate limit completely defeats the purpose of VBR. 
As a matter of fact, there is no command-line equivalent to --alt-present standard in lame 3.90.3. --alt-present standard uses some code-level tweaks that just aren't accessible through the command line.
Besides, I fully agree with Synthetic Soul that you can't improve it; it's already tweaked to death. Messing with the lame command-line is a commonly made newbie mistake, and you'd only make yourself look like a fool by trying to do so.

Some EAC + LAME quests

Reply #5
I don't know why every one wants to know command-line equivalent for APS? May be that's popularity of APS.  I think there should be a pinned thread in CAPITAL letters saying

1. APS in LAME 3.90.3 CAN"T BE ACTIVATED BY ANY OTHER SWITCH COMBOs EXCEPT APS ITSELF ONLY

2. ADDING FURTHER SWITCHES WITH APS IS NOT ADVISABLE BECAUSE IT MAY CONFLICT WITH THE CODE LEVEL CHANGES MADE IN APS TO MAKE IT SOUND EXCELLENT.

3. ANYBODY HAVING DOUBT ABOUT TRANSPARENCY OF APS SHOULD RECONSIDER AND DO SOME ABX.
(It doesn't mean that other settings are not transparent. And, however transparency is relative term which depends upon person's ability to hear. But again for that ABX is necessary. And after ABX people would definitely switch over to APS (w/o any extra switch, just APS). Many people have done this in past. exhaustive listening tests. That's the reason why it is still recommended. It is trusted. However, let me state again. APS is transp. to most doesnt mean that other settings and other versions are not, but APS is most of the time winner of all as far as 3.90.3 is concerned.)

setting the lower bitrate limit equal to the higher bitrate limit completely defeats the purpose of VBR. rolleyes.gif

That's True! 

Some EAC + LAME quests

Reply #6
As a matter of fact, there is no command-line equivalent to --alt-present standard in lame 3.90.3. --alt-present standard uses some code-level tweaks that just aren't accessible through the command line.
[a href="index.php?act=findpost&pid=309914"][{POST_SNAPBACK}][/a]

That is no longer true.  --preset tweaks have been incorporated into LAME's core, and --preset standard now corresponds to -V2.

Some EAC + LAME quests

Reply #7
[a href="index.php?act=findpost&pid=309914"][{POST_SNAPBACK}][/a]

That is no longer true.  --preset tweaks have been incorporated into LAME's core, and --preset standard now corresponds to -V2.
[a href="index.php?act=findpost&pid=310137"][{POST_SNAPBACK}][/a]

I think he was talking about 3.90.3! Of-course for new versions it's not true! 

Some EAC + LAME quests

Reply #8
[a href="index.php?act=findpost&pid=310137"][{POST_SNAPBACK}][/a]

You could also say that before it was not possible to enable the presets via command line switches, while now it is not possible to disable them, as they are used by default in all modes.
Proverb for Paranoids: "If they can get you asking the wrong questions, they don't have to worry about answers."
-T. Pynchon (Gravity's Rainbow)

Some EAC + LAME quests

Reply #9
Besides, I fully agree with Synthetic Soul that you can't improve it; it's already tweaked to death. Messing with the lame command-line is a commonly made newbie mistake, and you'd only make yourself look like a fool by trying to do so. ;)

so how does the bitrate and the 'High/Low Quaility' settings fit in with the command line settings?
LAME 3.96.1: %l--alt-preset 128%l%h--alt-preset standard%h %s %d

Some EAC + LAME quests

Reply #10
so how does the bitrate and the 'High/Low Quaility' settings fit in with the command line settings?
[a href="index.php?act=findpost&pid=310189"][{POST_SNAPBACK}][/a]

If you use LAME as an external compressor, it doesn't make any difference.
Acid8000 aka. PhilDEE

Some EAC + LAME quests

Reply #11
[a href="index.php?act=findpost&pid=310189"][{POST_SNAPBACK}][/a]

If you're using "User Defined Encoder", changing these bitrates tab along with presets in commandline won't affect at all as long as you don't use %r.
Setting High Quality - (Alternate) Preset Standard (V2 Quality)
Low Quality - 128kbps Average Bitrate (Which will be quite high q then 128kbps cbr)

If you're using "Lame Encoder", changing these bitrates tab along with presets in commandline will affect! It will set the lower bitrate baseline for the range of VBR (i.e. if set to 192, the minimum bitrate VBR will use is 192) generally not recommended (read some previous threads)

So User defined encoder is what you should be using, otherwise w/o your knowledge this bitrate tab will affect your preset setting. (atleast if you're using VBR). and of course for other settings such as abr/cbr %r could be added to make it more flexible.

Some EAC + LAME quests

Reply #12

The %l...%l and %h...%h placeholders are used to add text according to whether the High quality or Low quality radio button is selected.

LAME.EXE %l--alt-preset 128%l%h--alt-preset standard%h %s %d

Therefore, if you select Low quality the command will be:

LAME.EXE --alt-preset 128 %s %d

..and if you select High quality it will be:

LAME.EXE --alt-preset standard %s %d

You can access the bitrate value in the dropdown using the %r placeholder, e.g.:

LAME.EXE --alt-preset %r %s %d

So, if you had the dropdown selected at 192 kBit/s the command line would be:

LAME.EXE --alt-preset 192 %s %d

Most people will say "the bitrate dropdown doesn't affect the command line".  In essence this is correct, as it will not affect the command line unless you use the %r placeholder.  Using ABR or CBR generally isn't as preferred as VBR anyway, so the bitrate dropdown isn't ever going to be that useful.  That said, I use the %l and %h palceholders in my batch files.  I could possibly change this so that the value of %r is queried and an appropriate setting used based on that value (e.g..: you could map LAME's -V values to each of the dropdown items (e.g.: 128kBit/s -> -V5)).  But I digress...
I'm on a horse.

Some EAC + LAME quests

Reply #13
[{POST_SNAPBACK}][/a]

I'm aware of the [a href="http://www.hydrogenaudio.org/forums/index.php?showtopic=18091]improved VBR control in lame 3.96.1[/url]. I'm currently using it in combination with
%l-V 4%l %h-V 2%h %s %d
in EAC. See synthetic soul's post for an explanation about the %l and %h placeholders. Btw, %s and %d are also placeholders, for the source and destination file. But these are not optional; EAC probably won't work with lame if you omit them.

Some EAC + LAME quests

Reply #14
EAC will work without %s and %d perfectly.  It is just recommended that you use them.
J

Some EAC + LAME quests

Reply #15
EAC will work without %s and %d perfectly.  It is just recommended that you use them.
J
[a href="index.php?act=findpost&pid=318491"][{POST_SNAPBACK}][/a]

It depends on the parameter passing scheme you are using. %s %d is required for "user defined encoder" and not required for "LAME MP3 Encoder", since EAC then knows which additional parameters have to be passed to the encoder.

Some EAC + LAME quests

Reply #16
Ya, I forgot to mention that part...thanks for the correction.
J