Skip to main content

Notice

Please note that most of the software linked on this forum is likely to be safe to use. If you are unsure, feel free to ask in the relevant topics, or send a private message to an administrator or moderator. To help curb the problems of false positives, or in the event that you do find actual malware, you can contribute through the article linked here.
Topic: Foobar won't play the next song in the album automaticly (Read 9994 times) previous topic - next topic

Foobar won't play the next song in the album automaticly

Hello! Sorry if this has already been posted. I searched and I didn't find any other post about it.

So the issue is that when I play a song, the next song in the album will not automatically play. I have to select the next song, and hit play every time. I do NOT have "Stop playback after current track" checked in the Playback settings. The only plugins I have installed are Facets, Lyric Panel 3, and iPod Manager, if that is important. I can provide any additional information if needed.
Thank you for your time!

Reply #1
In the Playback menu, look at the status of "Playback follows cursor". If it is checked, click it to disable that feature.
That's so plausible, I can't believe it.

Reply #2
In the Playback menu, look at the status of "Playback follows cursor". If it is checked, click it to disable that feature.

That is disabled as well. Still not working.

Reply #3
Are you adding the album to a playlist and starting the tracks from the playlist?

A step-by-step description and screenshot might help us understand what is going on.

Reply #4
Are you adding the album to a playlist and starting the tracks from the playlist?

i'm thinking this might be the issue.

perhaps the OP has facets configured to show tracks and they are attempting to play them from there? but as facets is a library viewer, it's sending just the one track to a playlist and of course nothing happens when it's finished.

Reply #5

i'm thinking this might be the issue.

perhaps the OP has facets configured to show tracks and they are attempting to play them from there? but as facets is a library viewer, it's sending just the one track to a playlist and of course nothing happens when it's finished.

That is exactly what I am doing.

Reply #6

Sorry, I'm not clear on what you mean by "that." Are you playing tracks from a playlist, or as marc2003 has suggested, are you playing from Facets?

This is important because foobar2000 plays tracks in playlists: create a playlist, play a track, and by default it will play the next track in the playlist (unless playback order is set to Shuffle or Random).

Now, one of the most common problems encountered by new users:
(1) a click on an album in Facets sends it to a playlist (in my case "Library Selection")
(2) start playing a track from this playlist
(3) while that track is playing, click on another album in Facets, which replaces the album in "Library Selection" playlist
(4) foobar2000 reaches the end of the track, sees the playlist has changed, so it stops playing (because the original "next" track is gone).

My solution for this is to create a different playlist (I call it "Play") and put all albums/tracks I want to play into that, and play from there. Or you can create any number of alternate playlists. The key is not to use the "Library Selection" playlist for anything except just browsing.

Also look at File > Preferences > Media Library > Facets and have a look at the "actions".

Reply #7
(3) while that track is playing, click on another album in Facets, which replaces the album in "Library Selection" playlist

With default settings, the playlist is renamed to "library selection (playing)" and the selection is sent to a new playlist. Thus playback is not interrupted by browsing to a different album, which means this should not be an issue for new users.

I suspect the OP never actually sent the whole album to a playlist.

Reply #8
There have been more than a few users over the last few months who have Facets in a single pane with a gazillion columns (one of which contains title) and/or statistics, seemingly trying to use it as a playlist.

OP, do you even have a playlist renderer to view playlists in your foobar set-up? If you select something in or send/add something to a playlist with Facets, does it show up in a playlist anywhere? I think the informal concensus here is that you're engaging a single track for playback.

Reply #9

Sorry, I'm not clear on what you mean by "that." Are you playing tracks from a playlist, or as marc2003 has suggested, are you playing from Facets?

This is important because foobar2000 plays tracks in playlists: create a playlist, play a track, and by default it will play the next track in the playlist (unless playback order is set to Shuffle or Random).

Now, one of the most common problems encountered by new users:
(1) a click on an album in Facets sends it to a playlist (in my case "Library Selection")
(2) start playing a track from this playlist
(4) foobar2000 reaches the end of the track, sees the playlist has changed, so it stops playing (because the original "next" track is gone).

My solution for this is to create a different playlist (I call it "Play") and put all albums/tracks I want to play into that, and play from there. Or you can create any number of alternate playlists. The key is not to use the "Library Selection" playlist for anything except just browsing.

Also look at File > Preferences > Media Library > Facets and have a look at the "actions".

I'm playing from Facets. How do I make the entire album be added to a playlist when I start playing a song from it?

Re: Foobar won't play the next song in the album automaticly

Reply #10
My apologies everyone, since I'm sure this has been answered elsewhere:
What I'm trying to achieve is a basic mp3 collection, organised in Foobar by Artist/ Album by date/ Track Order, & for the next track to play automatically without having to right-click on it & select 'play'.
I've used Foobar for years but recently had to migrate to a new PC, & suddenly, all these things which were so simple & normal & natural seem not to be available in the current version, which seems extraordinary.
I've taken note of the conversation above (eg. 'Are you playing from Facets'?... but where on earth would I find out what 'facets' are, since I never knew of that before.
What bugs me is that my previous install of Foobar just 'naturally' played albums by artist - date - track no, yet this one won't play one track after its previous, & finding information on how to configure this release has evaded me so far.
'Hoping someone can point me in the right direction.

Re: Foobar won't play the next song in the album automaticly

Reply #11

A step-by-step description and screenshot might help us understand what is going on.