Skip to main content

Notice

Please note that most of the software linked on this forum is likely to be safe to use. If you are unsure, feel free to ask in the relevant topics, or send a private message to an administrator or moderator. To help curb the problems of false positives, or in the event that you do find actual malware, you can contribute through the article linked here.
Topic: Export/Import playlists to XML for changing file locations. (Read 2585 times) previous topic - next topic

Export/Import playlists to XML for changing file locations.

I have consolidated my music drives and now need all the existing Foobar playlists to point to the new locations. But I've searched through the posts regarding how to change the location and none of the suggested solutions will work. A big reason is that I intentionally do not organize my huge music library within Foobar directly -- I just use Foobar to play selected files in many playlists.  And the required path change is more than just a single drive letter to do a binary edit on the playlist files.

I understand that the playlist files might be binary for performance reasons. But please add a feature to export/import the playlists to/from some text-based structured format, like XML. Then people can export them, do a global search/replace on the text and reimport.  

Re: Export/Import playlists to XML for changing file locations.

Reply #2
https://hydrogenaud.io/index.php/topic,73910.0.html
Also File/Save playlist and choose anything other than *.fpl from the dropdown.
Correct me if I'm wrong, but I don't see how foo_playlist_revive will work for me since I don't manage my files with Foobar's media library, and don't want to. (I have many terabytes of music and what's in Foobar is a microfraction of the total.) And the only options for File/Save playlist are the m3u formats which won't work for the majority of my entries because most of my tracks are inside cue files on single image files. When you File/Save a playlist that contains cue file tracks, it just repeats the path to the cue file for each track without any track info. This is why I ask for a structured format like XML.

Reply #4
You can use https://github.com/Chocobo1/foo_xspf_1 component to export to xspf (xml playlist).
Thank you, this is exactly what I need! EXCEPT, it doesn't quite work right with cue file tracks: It ends up duplicating all the track entries in the loaded playlist. For example, if you have a cue with 12 tracks, foo_xspf will generate 12 duplicated sets of the 12 tracks in the loaded Foobar playlist -- the duplications are not present in the xspf file.    Is the developer reading this forum or is there a another way to contact?

Reply #7
 Good news for those interested in this solution:  I have been in touch with the developer of foo_xspf_1 and he has remedied the issue with cue file tracks. The latest release is now 2.6.3 (available here).

So, to recap, IF you need to globally edit your track locations in playlists, AND you don't use Foobar's media library, AND you have track entries coming from cue files, THEN using foo_xspf_1 to save/edit/reload your playlists is the ticket.

Reply #8
Hm... this sounded interesting, and I wanted to take a look, but Avast warns about "Win32:Evo-gen [Susp]" in the .dll file of the .f2k... :/
Might be a false positive, but odd nontheless & probably will get in touch with the foo_xspf_1 dev to check.
c.

Reply #9
Hm... this sounded interesting, and I wanted to take a look, but Avast warns about "Win32:Evo-gen [Susp]" in the .dll file of the .f2k... :/ Might be a false positive, but odd nontheless & probably will get in touch with the foo_xspf_1 dev to check.
  Almost certainly a false positive. I use Norton Internet Security and MalwareBytes and they didn't flag it.