Skip to main content

Notice

Please note that most of the software linked on this forum is likely to be safe to use. If you are unsure, feel free to ask in the relevant topics, or send a private message to an administrator or moderator. To help curb the problems of false positives, or in the event that you do find actual malware, you can contribute through the article linked here.
Topic: WavPack v4.3 debug mode with Frontend progs? (Read 6722 times) previous topic - next topic

WavPack v4.3 debug mode with Frontend progs?

Anyone tried running debug mode with the WavPack or Multi-Frontend program?  I wanted to use it for some unpacking, so I renamed the executable and ran the prog.  The unpacking seems to have worked fine, but there was no extra info in the console screen nor any log file created.  I test packed a few files too and same thing - it worked, but no extra info.

Reply #1
Anyone tried running debug mode with the WavPack or Multi-Frontend program?  I wanted to use it for some unpacking, so I renamed the executable and ran the prog.  The unpacking seems to have worked fine, but there was no extra info in the console screen nor any log file created.  I test packed a few files too and same thing - it worked, but no extra info.
[a href="index.php?act=findpost&pid=343528"][{POST_SNAPBACK}][/a]

I don't know how many systems this has been tried on, but it works fine on Win2k. Perhaps there's a problem on XP? One thing I just noticed looking at the code is that the "debug" part of the filename (as entered) must be all lower-case or all upper-case, so (Wavpack_Debug) won't work.

BTW, the file is placed at c:\wavpack.log. If this is really not working I would like to know more about your system.

Thanks.

Reply #2
I'm using a customized install of Win98 (98lite - http://www.litepc.com/index.html).  I rarely have pc trouble of any kind so I've never been interested in upgrading.  1 Ghz AMD Athlon, 512 MB RAM, no overclocking or anything like that.

I just checked and the executables are both lower case.  I don't think I capitalized 'Debug' when I added it to the names earlier today but I'll try again in a few minutes with some new files since I just finished WavPacking over 1000 of them.

Also, the program (console screen) locked up on me at least 8-10 times in the last 24 hours during packing.  All the .wavs it processed were ripped by me with EAC.  It'd be moving along nicely, and then partway through a .wav it would just stop at whatever % complete it was at and I couldn't do a thing.  Ctrl-Alt-Del got me the BSoD, and I'd have to use the reset button on my case to reboot.  Running Scandisk/Norton Disk Doctor found lost clusters which I deleted.  Usually the offending .wav would pack the 2nd time, but I still have one that won't.  It accepts FLAC encoding but not WavPack.  Not sure if it's a coincidence or not, but after the last lock up I decided to try the -q switch, and didn't have any lockups at all for the last 300-400 files I packed.  I'll try the -q switch on the one that wouldn't accept processing and see if that makes any difference.

Reply #3
Quick followup: I tried using the -q switch while processing that one file that locked up on me 3 times.  Not sure if it had anything to do with it but the file packed this time, no lockups.

On the other hand, I still can't get the debug mode to work.  I made sure everything was lower case, ran it without the -q switch obviously, but the console screen's display was the same as it's always been, and there was no log file produced.  I was grasping at straws, so I even deleted my renamed 'WavPack v4.3b' folder and unzipped it a second time since I remembered the default unzip location was \wavpack-4.3\wavpack, and not just the parent folder, which is where I moved everything to when I unzipped it the first time.  Didn't make any difference - same console display, no log.

Reply #4
I have reproduced the debug mode problem in Windows 95 (I don't have easy access to any Win98 systems) and I know how to fix it. Thanks for reporting.

As for the hangup problem, I have never heard of this one. If the -q switch really fixes it, then I guess that's not a bad interim solution. I'll try to reproduce this on Windows 95 as well, but it sounds like it doesn't happen too often. Please let me know if you find out anything else (like does the encoding mode make any difference?)

Thanks again.

Reply #5
I think I'll wait until your next update before encoding any more files, as I'd like to see some log file information.  Question: will I still be able to get a log file if I use the -q switch?

I won't be able to help you much with the issue of whether or not the hangups occur more in a particular encoding mode, because I've already settled on the -h mode and won't be using anything else.  Before I started mass encoding I test encoded maybe 15-20 files in the different modes to see which one I wanted to use (and oddly had no hangups in any of them).  I tried the -x switch and various values with both the -h and -f modes, and I found that plain old -h gave me the best performance.  Using the -x switch added too much time to the encoding while only making the files negligibly smaller, so it's -h for me from here on out.

Reply #6
I think I'll wait until your next update before encoding any more files, as I'd like to see some log file information.  Question: will I still be able to get a log file if I use the -q switch?
[{POST_SNAPBACK}][/a]

The debug mode is not really a general purpose logger. For example, it never truncates the file, so it can grow indefintely. The purpose was actually to help identify and debug problems in EAC and batch programs using WavPack in such a way that any fatal error message could not even be seen.

However, I have now fixed the original problem you found and also now put the log file in an appropriate directory. I also updated my compiler service pack, so there's a slim chance that your hangup problem might be fixed. See the details in the release thread:

[a href="http://www.hydrogenaudio.org/forums/index.php?showtopic=38532&view=findpost&p=344536]http://www.hydrogenaudio.org/forums/index....ndpost&p=344536[/url]

The -q switch should work fine with the logging mode, although the information it quiets will not appear in the log either.

Thanks,
David

Reply #7
Bryant, debug mode works now, but I guess you knew that.  I'm still having the occasional problem with the program locking up.  The last time I posted, it appeared that using the -q switch prevented the lockups, but it's locked up while using the switch too, so I don't know what the deal is.  It's a pain, but I can eventually get the file to accept encoding so overall I'm not complaining.

I am kind of curious about something else though.  If you'll take a look at the attached image you can see what I'm talking about.  Normally you see a "creating [filename].wv" message during encoding, and then after the encoding is finished it says "created [filename].wv" and moves on to the next file.  Sometimes I get BOTH messages on the same file as you can see on the last file below.  Why would that be?

Reply #8
Bryant, debug mode works now, but I guess you knew that.  I'm still having the occasional problem with the program locking up.  The last time I posted, it appeared that using the -q switch prevented the lockups, but it's locked up while using the switch too, so I don't know what the deal is.  It's a pain, but I can eventually get the file to accept encoding so overall I'm not complaining.

I am kind of curious about something else though.  If you'll take a look at the attached image you can see what I'm talking about.  Normally you see a "creating [filename].wv" message during encoding, and then after the encoding is finished it says "created [filename].wv" and moves on to the next file.  Sometimes I get BOTH messages on the same file as you can see on the last file below.  Why would that be?
[a href="index.php?act=findpost&pid=345461"][{POST_SNAPBACK}][/a]

The reason that happens is because the filename is so long that the percentage complete display wraps around to the next line. When the file is done the cursor is past that line and so it can't [easily and portably] be erased and so the second (past-tense) line can't replace it. I wouldn't worry about that one...

I sure don't know what to think about your hanging problem, however. I was not able to reproduce it on Win95. I realize you say you can live with it, but I sure don't like to have things like that happening. Since it happens somewhat randomly, however, it's probably not something that WavPack is doing wrong because WavPack is only single-threaded. But, please let me know if you discover any other clues...

BTW, do you have anything else running at the same time?

Reply #9
No, I don't have anything else actively running, although I have several things open (EAC, Multi Frontend).  I'm wondering... do you think it would have anything to do with the source .wav files being fragmented?

Reply #10
No, I don't have anything else actively running, although I have several things open (EAC, Multi Frontend).  I'm wondering... do you think it would have anything to do with the source .wav files being fragmented?
[a href="index.php?act=findpost&pid=345821"][{POST_SNAPBACK}][/a]

I can't imagine how a fragmented source would cause this kind of trouble; obviously it could slow down the encoding somewhat. One thing I have found that reduces disk trashing quite a bit during encoding is putting the source and destination on different physical drives, but that obviously isn't always handy.

For some reson I was under the impression that you also had the problem when using the command-line directly, but I re-read your posts and couldn't find evidence of that. It might be worthwhile to try that on files that fail instead of using the frontend. I realize tags might be a problem in that case, but it might narrow down what interaction could be responsible.

Reply #11
I tried writing to a different drive and it didn't make any difference - I still got a few lockups.  I went command line only and had no problems, so I'd like to stick with that for now.  One thing I noticed immediately was that when the window is minimized it showed the overall progress on the title bar.  It mentions that in the html user manual, but it's the first time I've seen it.  With the front end programs it only showed the progress for the file currently being encoded.

Is there a switch that includes subdirectories when encoding/decoding?  I didn't see any mention of that and I'd like to make use of it if possible.

Reply #12
There is no option to recursively convert subdirectories. However, what might work very well for you is using the dedicated WavPack frontend instead of the multi-frontend. It creates a file list with all the selected files which WavPack then reads and processes all in one run (so the percentage indicator will be for the whole batch).

Of course, if the multi frontend causes a crash then maybe the dedicated frontend will also. I still don't understand why that's happening though, the frontends simply create a batch file that runs the command-line programs directly. 

Reply #13
Christ, I wish I knew what the problem was.  I tried the WavPack frontend and after encoding quite a few files it locked up too.  Went back to command line later in the day and IT locked up too.

Since these random lockups have occured using all 3 methods, I guess I'm going back to a frontend program since it's the most convenient.