Skip to main content

Notice

Please note that most of the software linked on this forum is likely to be safe to use. If you are unsure, feel free to ask in the relevant topics, or send a private message to an administrator or moderator. To help curb the problems of false positives, or in the event that you do find actual malware, you can contribute through the article linked here.
Topic: Will Android ever support conversion to Musepack? (Read 2081 times) previous topic - next topic

Will Android ever support conversion to Musepack?

It may be a silly question, but given the total absence of Musepack converters on Android, is it safe to assume FFmpeg not supporting encoding to that format (but decoding only) is the main culprit why that is so, so that one interested in doing such conversion in that OS is supposed to give it up for good?
Listen to the music, not the media it's on.
União e reconstrução

Re: Will Android ever support conversion to Musepack?

Reply #1
It's mostly that Google who are the main maintainers of AOSP, need to have a practical application for a specific codec to be included as a native encoder or/and a decoder in AOSP. Considering that Musepack is not either a very popular codec and it's not really used in any applications widely (ie A2DP codecs), Google has no interest to include anything or include more than the bare minimum which is a decoder. Mind you, Google is notorious for implementing extremely poorly codecs on both the decoder an encoder case. I have so many examples of things not working properly even for current running versions of Android. So either way, your best luck is running something that uses an external encoder/decoder for whatever application you want it for.

Reply #2
Musepack aside, retards at Google also decided to kill JPEG XL.
gold plated toslink fan

Reply #3
Mind you, Google is notorious for implementing extremely poorly codecs on both the decoder an encoder case. I have so many examples of things not working properly even for current running versions of Android.
FLAC support is not quite there, for example: https://wiki.hydrogenaud.io/index.php?title=FLAC_decoder_testbench
There was a discussion - not about encoding, only about how Android has issues recognizing audio formats for playback - at https://hydrogenaud.io/index.php/topic,122768
On the lossless side, FLAC is the only compressed format supported, and not even that in full. There are more lossy names (various AACs make for quite a few), but when the list is that short, there is no reason to expect Musepack will ever get there. It isn't exactly headed for world domination.

Reply #4
I don't think includemeout meant native Android support. Instead, I think the question was about whether there is *any* software that can encode Musepack that can be compiled for Android.
Music: sounds arranged such that they construct feelings.

Reply #5
I don't think includemeout meant native Android support. Instead, I think the question was about whether there is *any* software that can encode Musepack that can be compiled for Android.
Right on the money, @ktf

That's exactly what I was wondering, given that, for all the converter apps in the G.Play Store, all seem to make use of the FFmeg library - and its support for it being clearly known as decoding-only, I was wondering whether I really got the picture.

Since FFmpeg is, AFAIK, the only library which could come to Musepack's 'rescue' I just wanted to confirm if that is all there is to it, apart from the 'last resort' of running an 'emulator to an emulator' (i.e, DOSBox) on Android and resorting to encoding with the old SV7 MPC DOS executable - and forgoing all tagging in the process - something which, is clearly not worth it, both from the practical and qualitative POV.
União e reconstrução

Reply #6
BTW: blame all the misunderstanding on my silly original thread title - which misled even a mod to misinterpret it as they rephrased it to what it is now (i.e, 'Will Android ever support conversion to Musepack?')
União e reconstrução

Reply #7
Mind you, Google is notorious for implementing extremely poorly codecs on both the decoder an encoder case. I have so many examples of things not working properly even for current running versions of Android.
FLAC support is not quite there, for example: https://wiki.hydrogenaud.io/index.php?title=FLAC_decoder_testbench
There was a discussion - not about encoding, only about how Android has issues recognizing audio formats for playback - at https://hydrogenaud.io/index.php/topic,122768
On the lossless side, FLAC is the only compressed format supported, and not even that in full. There are more lossy names (various AACs make for quite a few), but when the list is that short, there is no reason to expect Musepack will ever get there. It isn't exactly headed for world domination.
That FLAC implementation was the first thing that I had in my mind when I wrote my comment. The implementation is so dodgy and incomplete I'd be embarrassed to include it as is. You can LITERALLY encode FLACs that can result into a device rebooting or muting all audio until you reboot (kernel panic).

That being said, I believe that musepack's encoder source code could be easily adapted to Android or you could use a Windows wrapper for the PC encoder. Not very practical answers but still far from a "no" answer.

Reply #8
It's easy to build mpcenc (and static libmpcenc) for Android, and you can run it through adb shell.
So it's definitely possible to integrate libmpcenc into an Android app if someone wants to do it.

Reply #9
It's easy to build mpcenc (and static libmpcenc) for Android, and you can run it through adb shell.
So it's definitely possible to integrate libmpcenc into an Android app if someone wants to do it.
Interesting.
Pity the format's lack of popularity itself means such integration will quite possibly never see the light of day.
União e reconstrução