Skip to main content

Notice

Please note that most of the software linked on this forum is likely to be safe to use. If you are unsure, feel free to ask in the relevant topics, or send a private message to an administrator or moderator. To help curb the problems of false positives, or in the event that you do find actual malware, you can contribute through the article linked here.
Topic: moving to LAME 3.98.2...? (Read 3271 times) previous topic - next topic

moving to LAME 3.98.2...?

hello there!

as the hydrogenaudio forums on here are so huge it is almost impossible to find some little answers to specific little question some halftime-noob like me has... moreover, partly, FAQs and stuff stop their explanations when it comes to LAME with 3.97 or the 3.98betas. so i will post some short questions here all in one topic and, hopefully, some kind member helps me out. 

# i'm using LAME since the pre-2000s and atm i am working with v3.97 on my audiograbber. now 3.98.2 is pretty often getting recommended...
=> is there any significant quality difference im comparison to 3.97 when encoding with v2?
=> has the encoding speed been increased or has it gotten slower?
=> what about file sizes? are vbr2 files significantly bigger or smaller than in 3.97?
=> can the old command lines like "-V 2 --vbr-new" or "--abr 135" still be used?
=> any other changes i should be aware of when moving from 3.97 to 3.98.2?

# when transcoding files for my mobile mp3 player i am using the front-end "razorlame". when transcoding MP3s the id3-tags are not copied to the new files...
=> how can i keep the existing mp3-tags in my transcoded files?

it would be great if you could give me info on that; you can also give me links if all this has been answered elsewhere.

thanks in advance.

Reply #2
Use foobar2000 as a frontend to have your tags copied over when you transcode.

Reply #3
as the hydrogenaudio forums on here are so huge it is almost impossible to find some little answers to specific little question some halftime-noob like me has... moreover, partly, FAQs and stuff stop their explanations when it comes to LAME with 3.97 or the 3.98betas. so i will post some short questions here all in one topic and, hopefully, some kind member helps me out.

noobishness isn’t so much a lack of experience as it is a personality defect. You’re no noob.

=> is there any significant quality difference im comparison to 3.97 when encoding with v2?

In worst-case scenarios, yes. In the vast majority of cases, no. You may as well do your encoding with 3.98.2 from now on, but there isn’t really any point in replacing your old 3.97 MP3s.

=> has the encoding speed been increased or has it gotten slower?

Not sure. Haven’t noticed any difference myself, although I haven’t been keeping close watch.

=> what about file sizes? are vbr2 files significantly bigger or smaller than in 3.97?

Very slightly bigger.

=> can the old command lines like "-V 2 --vbr-new" or "--abr 135" still be used?

Sure. Actually in 3.98 --vbr-new is now the default VBR method.

=> any other changes i should be aware of when moving from 3.97 to 3.98.2?

Depends what you want to be made aware of.

LAME changelog