Skip to main content

Notice

Please note that most of the software linked on this forum is likely to be safe to use. If you are unsure, feel free to ask in the relevant topics, or send a private message to an administrator or moderator. To help curb the problems of false positives, or in the event that you do find actual malware, you can contribute through the article linked here.
Topic: iTunes Covers Downloader (Read 133583 times) previous topic - next topic

iTunes Covers Downloader

Reply #25
I wrote an email to tpemble and received an answer today:
The reason that playlist doesn't work is because it's an audio book and does not have a track listing. I prevented the error from appearing, though.

Means: I can't get covers from Audiobooks, but the new version (0.1.1.4) now handles this error and doesn't stop searching when it finds one, it also won't display the 404 Error anymore.

iTunes Covers Downloader

Reply #26
Anas, in scanning mode, the default values for Music directory structure and Filename seem to be mixed up - and this causes an access violation.
Life is Real...
(But not in audio :) )

iTunes Covers Downloader

Reply #27
You're right  , thanks for the report. I fixed it now.
You can redownload from the first post, but it isn't neccassary, the problem only occures when starting the program the first time, then you can change the values.

iTunes Covers Downloader

Reply #28
Cool, thanks Anas.

FYI: With the "Ben Folds" search the offending item appears to be a playlist, not an audiobook - but I suspect there is no way for the script to know the difference, and I don't really care either way if I can't download it.  I just thought I'd highlight it though, in case it ever becomes useful knowledge.

Thanks again.
I'm on a horse.

iTunes Covers Downloader

Reply #29
Great program.  Just downloaded many covers 

A 'stop scanning' button would be nice when it's scanning lots of albums and pulling up balnks cos of incorrect parameters for example.

iTunes Covers Downloader

Reply #30

A 'stop scanning' button would be nice when it's scanning lots of albums and pulling up balnks cos of incorrect parameters for example.
[a href="index.php?act=findpost&pid=361058"][{POST_SNAPBACK}][/a]

Added to to-do list.

iTunes Covers Downloader

Reply #31
would it be possible to use the tags of the musicfiles to search for the cover? that would be really neat.

iTunes Covers Downloader

Reply #32
wow, looks like a great program.  Here comes the stupid question.  Usually, as per Apple's ruthless tyrrany, you can't add covers for cd's you ripped to itunes.  Does this program take the url pointing to the image from the itunes store and automatically import it to your file info in your itunes library, thus circumventing Apples "block"?

also, a little of topic.  does it take much longer to load tracks (as in, it takes the ipod longer to start playing them) that have covers with them, or add time to the GAP between songs?

thanks for the hard work, looks promising

iTunes Covers Downloader

Reply #33
would it be possible to use the tags of the musicfiles to search for the cover? that would be really neat.
[a href="index.php?act=findpost&pid=361262"][{POST_SNAPBACK}][/a]

I've got no experience with file tags, but I will think about it.

wow, looks like a great program.  Here comes the stupid question.  Usually, as per Apple's ruthless tyrrany, you can't add covers for cd's you ripped to itunes.  Does this program take the url pointing to the image from the itunes store and automatically import it to your file info in your itunes library, thus circumventing Apples "block"?

also, a little of topic.  does it take much longer to load tracks (as in, it takes the ipod longer to start playing them) that have covers with them, or add time to the GAP between songs?

thanks for the hard work, looks promising
[a href="index.php?act=findpost&pid=361266"][{POST_SNAPBACK}][/a]

This program doesn't save album art into tags nor does it interact with iTunes. It just downloads the album art and saves it where you want it.

iTunes Covers Downloader

Reply #34
This program doesn't save album art into tags nor does it interact with iTunes. It just downloads the album art and saves it where you want it.
[a href="index.php?act=findpost&pid=361270"][{POST_SNAPBACK}][/a]

thanks, still awesome.

iTunes Covers Downloader

Reply #35
Can you explain what I am doing wrong.

I set it up, as I thought the scan was supposed to be done, pointed it at a bunch of MP3s with appropriate tags.

When I click Scan I get the messages you can see, then a list of all the MP3s, but it does nothing.

It works fine in manual mode.

In your notes you say it doesn't check the music folder, yet the message appears to say its looking for a certain jpg, without substitution. Then it says no results. It only takes a couple of seconds to do all this, it isn't going out and looking for anything.

Help?
[a href="index.php?act=findpost&pid=358619"][{POST_SNAPBACK}][/a]

The program can't read file tags. To use the program you have to have a folder structure (for example D:\Music\ABBA\Album\ABBA - One Of Us.mp3).
I don't know if I ever will add tag support, but I don't think so.
I will try to add support for guessing fields from the filename.
[a href="index.php?act=findpost&pid=358737"][{POST_SNAPBACK}][/a]

Done. You can now read search parameters only/additional from filename.

[a href="index.php?act=findpost&pid=361058"][{POST_SNAPBACK}][/a]

Added to to-do list.
[a href="index.php?act=findpost&pid=361228"][{POST_SNAPBACK}][/a]

Done. Download 0.1.1.7 

iTunes Covers Downloader

Reply #36
hi anas

well, i have a problem with the itunes cover downloader... it used to work but now it doesn't - it just says: no cover found; although i tested it with some i already downloaded with it... seems a little bit curious - do you know what could be the reason?

cya thomas

iTunes Covers Downloader

Reply #37
hi anas

well, i have a problem with the itunes cover downloader... it used to work but now it doesn't - it just says: no cover found; although i tested it with some i already downloaded with it... seems a little bit curious - do you know what could be the reason?

cya thomas
[{POST_SNAPBACK}][/a]

There's currently a problem with the script I'm using ([a href="http://tpemble.urfbownd.net/itunes/itunes-iart.php?artist=Drowning+Pool]error[/url]).
There's nothing I can do about this so please be patient. I think the author of the script will fix this soon (hopefully).

iTunes Covers Downloader

Reply #38
Since the source is available for the php script, wouldn't it make it make sense to be able to specify a custom URL for the script? That way it would be possible to run it on a local server, which not only would make it faster, but more importantely would lessen the load on tpemble server.

iTunes Covers Downloader

Reply #39
I was under the impression you had re-implemented the PHP code in whatever language you are using. I strongly suggest you do this, the source is on the site and its fairly simple to understand (C-like syntax). IMHO, to use his servers is abusive, and will also result in slower cover downloading. If you want a temporary workaround, I posted a PHP script to get iTunes covers directly (based on this code) in the uploads forum somewhere a while ago.

iTunes Covers Downloader

Reply #40
I was under the impression you had re-implemented the PHP code in whatever language you are using. I strongly suggest you do this, the source is on the site and its fairly simple to understand (C-like syntax). IMHO, to use his servers is abusive, and will also result in slower cover downloading. If you want a temporary workaround, I posted a PHP script to get iTunes covers directly (based on this code) in the uploads forum somewhere a while ago.
[a href="index.php?act=findpost&pid=363232"][{POST_SNAPBACK}][/a]

You're right I will implement it directly into the program. Thanks for the hint.

iTunes Covers Downloader

Reply #41
yeah!

thx a lot

iTunes Covers Downloader

Reply #42
Just released version 0.1.1.8 and the source for this version.

iTunes Covers Downloader

Reply #43
Is anyone else having problems with the program now? I had been using it for some time as it was working quite well. Now when I use it to scan a directory it just scans, but doesn't download and save the cover. I can do them 1 at a time with the manual menu, but thats not really the point.

iTunes Covers Downloader

Reply #44
Hi Anas, just discovered your excellent programme! Well done! I just have one request:

Would it be possible to add an option to not search for cover art if the information is incomplete? For example if the programme fails to find ARTIST information and finds ALBUM info only then it skips the folder and doesn't search.

The reason for this is that sometimes if the program only finds album info for some folders and it erroneous eg. '-d'. When it searches this, there are 20-odd incorrect covers downloaded.

iTunes Covers Downloader

Reply #45
Is anyone else having problems with the program now? I had been using it for some time as it was working quite well. Now when I use it to scan a directory it just scans, but doesn't download and save the cover. I can do them 1 at a time with the manual menu, but thats not really the point.
[a href="index.php?act=findpost&pid=374960"][{POST_SNAPBACK}][/a]

Works for me, I can't figure out what the problem is without detailed info. Can you post, which options you use?

Hi Anas, just discovered your excellent programme! Well done!

You're welcome.

I just have one request:

Would it be possible to add an option to not search for cover art if the information is incomplete? For example if the programme fails to find ARTIST information and finds ALBUM info only then it skips the folder and doesn't search.

The reason for this is that sometimes if the program only finds album info for some folders and it erroneous eg. '-d'. When it searches this, there are 20-odd incorrect covers downloaded.
[a href="index.php?act=findpost&pid=374983"][{POST_SNAPBACK}][/a]

Good point. I'll add an option to not search for a cover if one of the pattern fields could not be found.
EDIT: ASFAICS not possible, because there is not cetain way to know when eg an artist is just crap or a real name. 

iTunes Covers Downloader

Reply #46
Im searching my music directory:

E:\FLAC

%artist%\%album%

*.flac

Folder.jpg

WinXP w/ SP1

worked fine last time I used it, and as I said it works fine if I use the manual search. It seems to be searching fine, but is not downloading covers.

What other details can I give?

iTunes Covers Downloader

Reply #47
The console output wouldn't be too bad, too. I already have an idea where it could come from, but I'm not sure. Will look into it.

iTunes Covers Downloader

Reply #48
Hey Anas,

Great program, I'd been looking for something like this since I used amaroK.

I don't know if you're familiar with amaroK, but their cover manager is excellent (they use Amazon instead of iTunes, though).

[span style='font-size:8pt;line-height:100%']jpg, 586KB
resolution 2624 x 1200[/span]

You really can't tell much from the screenshot.  There is an amaroK liveCD, which I'm booting into right now with Qemu to see if it's any good.

Anyway, I really like your program, but it lacks that "holy crap, this thing is awesome! it does everything right!" feel which is very seldom accomplished, but very near to it in my opinion with amaroK's cover manager.  I think you could easily turn yours into something even better.

iTunes Covers Downloader

Reply #49
One problem I've been having with this program is when I use the scan mode it doesn't see that the folders already have folder.jpg files in them and just overwrites them. Any suggestions?
Thanks for the great program btw.