Skip to main content

Notice

Please note that most of the software linked on this forum is likely to be safe to use. If you are unsure, feel free to ask in the relevant topics, or send a private message to an administrator or moderator. To help curb the problems of false positives, or in the event that you do find actual malware, you can contribute through the article linked here.
Topic: Music player for FLACs that will db library and output to TV/Receiver (Read 2334 times) previous topic - next topic

Music player for FLACs that will db library and output to TV/Receiver

I am looking for a hardware music player to do the following:
  • Play FLACs without transcoding
  • Near equivalent functionality of using a Plex media server to index and database the music library
  • Visual output through TV
  • Audio output through receiver
  • Work with Harmony remote
  • be nice if it automatically grabbed metadata from online Dbs
  • be great if it grabbed FLACs over samba/NFS share
I have an Oppo BDP-103, but that does not index and database the music library.
Anyone have any suggestions?

Re: Music player for FLACs that will db library and output to TV/Receiver

Reply #1
With all of those requirements you're probably going to need a computer. 

I've got an "extra" laptop plugged into my home theater system that I use for music.     (It doesn't have HDMI or a Blu-Ray drive, and if I was buying one for this purpose it would have those two features.)

Reply #2
Sounds like you'd be best off building an HTPC. You can get a small, cheap SoC add a good DAC and IR reciever for the remote, and call it done.

Reply #3
I am looking for a hardware music player to do the following:
  • Play FLACs without transcoding
  • Near equivalent functionality of using a Plex media server to index and database the music library
  • Visual output through TV
  • Audio output through receiver
  • Work with Harmony remote
  • be nice if it automatically grabbed metadata from online Dbs
  • be great if it grabbed FLACs over samba/NFS share
I have an Oppo BDP-103, but that does not index and database the music library.
Anyone have any suggestions?

There is a class of inexpensive devices called an "Android TV Box" which will also work for audio. These are priced in the range of $20 to several $100 including power supply, remote, and software.   You can find them on Amazon and eBay for example. 

Many of the same things can be done with a phone that runs Android.   All things considered, this is probably the cheapest and easiest way to obtain an effective HTPC.  Even most of the low cost models are plug and play.

The two common Android/PC/Xbox software packages that provide database management and work with indexable music libraries are Kodi and VLC which are both freeware.

Reply #4
I use foobar2000 on my PC with the UPNP plugin. All rendering turned off, just pure FLAC available for streaming.

My Denon AVR-X3300W in the living room can stream FLAC from my foobar2000 PC in my music room and play it back through my system in the living room. My Samsung TV will actually stream FLAC as well if I want.
Life-long Music Collection: 747GB / 25,646 Tracks & COUNTING! - 99% Lossless FLAC