Skip to main content

Notice

Please note that most of the software linked on this forum is likely to be safe to use. If you are unsure, feel free to ask in the relevant topics, or send a private message to an administrator or moderator. To help curb the problems of false positives, or in the event that you do find actual malware, you can contribute through the article linked here.
Topic: Ripping Scratched CD's (Read 28581 times) previous topic - next topic

Ripping Scratched CD's

Just here to report that I have had some new luck ripping CD's with scratches on the printed side.

As I rip my entire CD collection, I have noticed that there are more problems with CD's that have a silver face with only minimal black printing as they get scratched on the printed side. I have now had some success by applying the white-out tape over the scratch. This helps the laser reflect off the back surface and read the data correctly. CD's that would not rip properly in EAC previously now rip fine.

Destron

Ripping Scratched CD's

Reply #1
hmm, interesting, I'll have to try that.  I've got a handful of CDs with several types of damage on the individual discs, and I'm quite sure the label-side scratches are the biggest impediment to ripping them.  Read-side stuff is usually pretty simple to take care of with the motorized SkipDoctor, but that still leaves some of them in a very troublesome state because of the scratches on the other side.  I'll pick some of the tape up and see if it'll save any of them.  Been looking for used copies of some of them for years without much luck.

Ripping Scratched CD's

Reply #2
Good find!

Some people have also mentioned using other ways to fix the reflective layer. Silver fel tip pens and whatnot. Of course there is always the risk that the glue or paint from whatever is used on the printed side slowly corrodes the refletive layer further. It's important to remember this if one wants to keep on using that disc later on and not just make one perfect rip. Also, be careful with tape, as it might get stuck inside your player.

I think there are some cd repair kits that are meant for this as well (reflective layer repair). Anybody have any experiences with them?

As for the transparent layer on the play side, I have had very good results with Skip Doctor in evening out some of the bigger errors. It's not a miracle cure, but it can help in many cases.

regards,
Halcyon

Ripping Scratched CD's

Reply #3
Re-labeling them with the stick-on paper disks (like Neato) should work (also). The adhesive used is without a doubt, safe for pre-labeled (silk screened) disks.

xen-uno
No one can be told what Ogg Vorbis is...you have to hear it for yourself
- Morpheus

Ripping Scratched CD's

Reply #4
As for the transparent layer on the play side, I have had very good results with Skip Doctor in evening out some of the bigger errors. It's not a miracle cure, but it can help in many cases.

yeah, some extreme cases I've had to run it through the Skip Doctor half a dozen or more times to start getting good reads.  I've got the regular green discs and the orange 'dreamcast' discs too with the finer sandpaper.  I usually use the orange one after I've used the green one, just to give it a bit better finish.