Skip to main content

Notice

Please note that most of the software linked on this forum is likely to be safe to use. If you are unsure, feel free to ask in the relevant topics, or send a private message to an administrator or moderator. To help curb the problems of false positives, or in the event that you do find actual malware, you can contribute through the article linked here.
Topic: Keep crashing after Windows 10 Update (Read 1693 times) previous topic - next topic

Keep crashing after Windows 10 Update

It bothers me for a month.
Windows will automatically update itself to keep up the latest version,
but after Windows update,
I can't open 'properties' for my files in fb2k.
Click properties, then fb2k crashes.
After reboot fb2k, listening [to them] is still available, but as for now I can't edit all those information to my files.
Keep clicking properties, fb2k will keep crashing............

I've submitted several crashed reports. No replies.
My Windows is the latest, haha. And so is my fb2k - version 1.3.16
Really need your help, thanks!

Re: Keep crashing after Windows 10 Update

Reply #1
Apparently a software called "MacType" is involved, it is code in their DLL that crashes.
Microsoft Windows: We can't script here, this is bat country.

Reply #2
@citriodorus : don't be surprised if after fixing your issue with "MacType" under Windows 10 you will encounter another problem - if you use MS Office 2013/2016. My parallel Win 10 installation provided me with foobar's crash after I was opening window to pick destination for saving files from Converter component. What was causing that? Office's "grooveex.dll" file. located in :
C:\Program Files\Microsoft Office\root\VFS\ProgramFilesX86\Microsoft Office\Office16\  (on my 64bit OS, with my Office 2016).
To fix this I had to rename / delete this dll, to avoid it being loaded by either foobar or Explorer. But after every Office update file was recreated :) . And crashes occurred again. Now I'm on Win 7 and don't plan to run Win 10 for longer time...

Windows 10 and its updates at their best...

Reply #3
That is not a generic problem, EpicForever. There are plenty of people with Office who have absolutely no problems. For example I have two such machines and foobar2000 doesn't crash.

Reply #4
Probably it is only mine situation - but I suppose it is better to mention this in case someone will accidentally start having the same situation. I encountered so many nonsense problems in Windows 10, that I have never heard of when I used even Windows 8/8.1 so I am very cautious about Win 10 and I totally disbelief in its robustness. That's just my experience...

Reply #5
Uninstall MacType, problem solved! (hope so)
Thank you all <3

Reply #6
epicforever. i am running a windows 10 x64 pro latest version and drivers + office 2016 proffesional plus with no such issues. i had other issues tho, but as of now i fixed them all.

microsoft office shouldn't interfere with your foobar2000 installation at all. i can think of sound card driver issues, windows 10 drivers or whatever issues. but a microsoft office installation? really?

Reply #7
Yes. This was clearly stated in foobar's crash dump. Crashing was not happening before I started using Office 2016 64bit. It started shortly after installation (with first Converter component usage) and went away right after I deleted / renamed this dll. I was even conducting tests - one run with grooveex.dll renamed (to .dllxxx) - no crash, next with "stock" groovex.dll - immediate crash when Converter was asking for file destination. So I kept it renamed. But when new version of dll was coming back after some Office update, crashing when Converter was asking for destination folder was coming back. And when I renamed dll again - again it was disappearing. Do you still think it was related to sound card drivers? I don't think so...

Reply #9
Yes, I came across this article in the past, but it is at least partially not true / not precise, because funnily I have configured my O2016 installation using that Deployment Toolkit and Groove was excluded in the .xml file. But OneDrive was not, so maybe that's ther reason why it sits on my HDD, as this is connected with OneDrive. No kidding. I can even search for an .xml file between installers.
On the other hand - could anyone invent more bothersome way of configuring what apps from the larger packet do you need or not? Only Microsoft...

Reply #10
Office includes OneDrive for Business, which you probably don't need.