Skip to main content

Notice

Please note that most of the software linked on this forum is likely to be safe to use. If you are unsure, feel free to ask in the relevant topics, or send a private message to an administrator or moderator. To help curb the problems of false positives, or in the event that you do find actual malware, you can contribute through the article linked here.
Topic: HDCD Decoder (Read 327119 times) previous topic - next topic

Re: HDCD Decoder

Reply #475
@kode54
my layout [$info(bitspersample)-bit[ $info(bitspersample_extra)] ][%codec% | ][%bitrate% kbps | ][%samplerate% Hz | ][%channels% | ]%playback_time%[ / %length%] $if($info(hdcd),'(HDCD:’,) $if(%__hdcd%,PE: %__hdcd_peak_extend% LLE: %__hdcd_gain% TF: %__hdcd_transient_filter%’)’)

Reply #476
This appears to be possibly a bug in 1.4.1 or even 1.4. It's a pity I haven't listened to any of my HDCDs in so long that I didn't even notice it whenever it first appeared. I notice, with my component installed, that neither missing info nor present info are reported for those tags.

Reply #477
@kode54  is a fix possible ?

Reply #478
I doubt I can apply a fix to foobar2000 itself. I haven't changed anything in the component itself to cause it to stop working.

Reply #479
@kode54  I believe it had to be  the 1.4.1 final as it was working previous you should see I PMed peter and CC'd you id really like this issue fixed and usabke again i have alot of contrent and having the display was great

Reply #480
Then it's out of my control.

Reply #481
 @kode54  we should atlest try wither its something you can compensate for via a update or if its something peter needs to patch I do not want it to just die just because

Reply #482
He claims it's because dynamic tags aren't supposed to work in the playlist. I found they're not working in the status bar, either.  Nothing I can "compensate for".

Reply #483
@kode54  well it should be noted that i only ever use the status bar so while peter may have intended to limit dynamic tags in playlists it clearly effects foobar  as a whole  @Peter  please address this this plugin is a staple for me and the fault seems to be in foobar core

Reply #484
What are you people talking about? HDCD's dynamics fields work fine if you don't use incorrect string from MJmusicguy. His string has ' replaced with incorrect escape character.
Corrected string is
Code: [Select]
[$info(bitspersample)-bit[ $info(bitspersample_extra)] ][%codec% | ][%bitrate% kbps | ][%samplerate% Hz | ][%channels% | ]%playback_time%[ / %length%] $if($info(hdcd),'(HDCD:',) $if(%__hdcd%,PE: %__hdcd_peak_extend% LLE: %__hdcd_gain% TF: %__hdcd_transient_filter%')')
Though it can be simplified to just
Code: [Select]
[$info(bitspersample)-bit[ $info(bitspersample_extra)] ][%codec% | ][%bitrate% kbps | ][%samplerate% Hz | ][%channels% | ]%playback_time%[ / %length%][ '('HDCD: PE: %__hdcd_peak_extend% LLE: %__hdcd_gain% TF: %__hdcd_transient_filter%')']

Reply #485
Bah, I was tricked. I didn't even notice the "smart" quote usage when I blindly copied his string for testing.

Reply #487
I made a mistake. I hope I have sufficiently owned up to it. I failed to check my own variables properly.

The code snippet that I used verbatim contained a single open apostrophe / single quote, unterminated because all subsequent quotes were "smart" quotes. The resulting unterminated string was a parameter to an $if, so it was not emitted.

Reply #488
@kode54 Well that is awesome because that was my old code which always worked however cases code worked just fine so i am happy sorry everyone  @Case thank you

Reply #489
Hi all, newbie here just trying to get this HDCD thing all working. Need some guidance. Here's where I stand:
1. Took an HDCD disc, played in WMP, saw HDCD logo to confirm HDCD
2. Ripped to WAV files using WMP
3. Used HDCD.EXE to create 24bit.wav files
4. Converted 24bit.wav files to FLAC using FOOBAR2000
5. Using FOOBAR 1.41 and HDCD component 1.19, using ASIO output to external DAC
6. Added the HDCD flag to the status bar
7. Put all 3 files (*.wav, *.24bit.wav, *.flac) into FOOBAR and played.

The HDCD flag does not show up during playback of any files. The *wav files show as 1411 kbps/44100 Hz, the *24bit.wav files as 2116 kbps/44100 Hz, and the FLAC files as 851 kbps/44100 Hz. I expected the last two to be 48000 Hz.

Also, when I use the "Scan for HDCD tracks" utility, only the *.wav tracks are listed, each with 0.0 min and max gain and Disabled peak extension. I would have thought the *.wav tracks would be the only ones NOT listed.

Any thoughts on where I messed up? Thanks!

Reply #490
@Sparky14  you actusslly want to rip  files sttright from the disc to flac via fooboor without any processing [$info(bitspersample)-bit[ $info(bitspersample_extra)] ][%codec% | ][%bitrate% kbps | ][%samplerate% Hz | ][%channels% | ]%playback_time%[ / %length%][ ‘(‘HDCD: PE: %__hdcd_peak_extend% LLE: %__hdcd_gain% TF: %__hdcd_transient_filter%’)’] then copy the hdcd portion of this status bar layout

Reply #491
Thanks MJ - eveything looks good now. Appreciate the help!

Reply #492
Why might the plugin become much slower to open/scan 44kHz files over time? Seeking and jumping to a new track incurs a noticeable pause. If I close Foobar and reopen it, it is back to acceptable again. I am not sure if time is a factor or opening of certain other applications.

Reply #493
I wouldn't have any idea, as the decoder isn't supposed to remain resident after closing a track. Maybe you have a track scanner of some sort running in the background? The waveform seekbar components spring to mind.

Reply #494
I have a question about the "minimum gain" and "maximum gain" parameters of the HDCD scanner:

In this CD, the only parameter that would indicate the presence of HDCD encoding is minimum gain -4db. Everything else is not active. Does this CD have to be decoded for optimum quality?

Reply #495
No, but its volume level may be reduced if you decode it, or may vary between 0.0 and -4.0 dB differences across the entire track if you decode it, and not if you don't. I'd decode and check what the difference is in a waveform viewer, just to be sure.

Reply #496
Thanks @kode54
I checked and indeed there were some differences in the first track, especially in the fadeout. Subsequently I played the undecoded track with foobar and during the fadeout LLE fluctuated between 0 and -4db. I will play the album in decoded form in Roon, as Roon does not have an HDCD decoder.
I think this exercise has helped me to understand the minimum gain and maximum gain parameters.
I am assuming that:

the minimum gain db number would indicate the largest gain decrease occurring during playback of the track
the maximum gain db number would indicate the largest gain increase occurring during the playback of the track

hence tracks which show 0db for both parameters (and of course no encoding for the other parameters) would be safe to leave in undecoded 16bit form.

Is this correct?

Reply #497
They are only a range. The gain can fluctuate between ±0.0 dB and -4.0 dB in steps of 0.5 dB, and the decoder transitions between the steps smoothly. Minimum and maximum are only the known range used by the entire track, not the exact values used for any given part of the track.

Reply #498
Hi kode54,
I have installed HDCD Decoder 1.19 and launched the scan on it (select all tracks, right-click, Utilities > Scan for HDCD tracks).
The problem is that it launches the scan of many tracks at once, as if they were HDD files, and then the CD player seeks all the time, cannot cope with it.
Could you detect if a CD is in use so that it would scan tracks, one after the other (like the converter does)?

Reply #499
Too late to edit my previous post.
In fact, I tried to scan one CD track only, and despite being an HDCD (as wmplayer.exe says and also has a printed HDCD logo), it seems that the Scan for HDCD tracks command does not work at all with CD tracks, without ripping the CD first.