Skip to main content

Notice

Please note that most of the software linked on this forum is likely to be safe to use. If you are unsure, feel free to ask in the relevant topics, or send a private message to an administrator or moderator. To help curb the problems of false positives, or in the event that you do find actual malware, you can contribute through the article linked here.
Topic: iTunes tags to Foobar tags (Read 3490 times) previous topic - next topic

iTunes tags to Foobar tags

Before I switched to Foobar I used iTunes exclusively to tag my music. It appears that iTunes uses a different tagging scheme from Foobar.

I opened one of my mp3 files in a hex editor and I found out that the tags that iTunes detected (correct tags) were near the start of the file while the tags that Foobar detected (incorrect tags) were at the end of the file. From what I understand ID3v1 tags are near the start of the file while ID3v2 tags are at the end of the file. So in iTunes I converted all tags to ID3v2.4 but the problem still remains.

Is there any way convert iTunes compatible tags to Foobar compatible tags and vice versa?

Edit: After a bit more research I found out that ID3v2 tags are at the start of the file and ID3v1 at the end of the file. I tried converting tags to ID3v1 in iTunes and now Foobar reads the tags correctly. This comes as a surprise to me as I thought that Foobar always reads ID3v2 first. Perhaps iTunes uses non standard ID3v2 formatting which Foobar does not understand. I would prefer to use ID3v2 so that I can embed album art in the file. Is there any way to get Foobar to read or convert iTunes ID3v2 tags?

Edit 2: In one of my mp3 files, I tried removing the ID3v1 tag and reimporting it into foobar. Now foobar can read the ID3v2 tag! So now what I want to do is batch remove all ID3v1 tags. I only know how to use a hex editor to do this. Are there any tools that can batch remove ID3v1 tags?

Reply #1
I haven't tried it, but I think right click on files -> tagging -> mp3 tag types -> untick id3v1 -> update files will do what you want.

Reply #2
untick id3v1 -> update files will do what you want.

IMHO foobar2000 will read incorrect tags from id3v1 and updates id3v2 with incorrect values then.

Are there any tools that can batch remove ID3v1 tags?

Try Mp3tag.