Skip to main content

Notice

Please note that most of the software linked on this forum is likely to be safe to use. If you are unsure, feel free to ask in the relevant topics, or send a private message to an administrator or moderator. To help curb the problems of false positives, or in the event that you do find actual malware, you can contribute through the article linked here.
Topic: New Foobar Logo (Read 83966 times) previous topic - next topic

New Foobar Logo

Reply #25
looks great. can't wait for the official thing to come out.

New Foobar Logo

Reply #26
Moderation: I've removed some useless posts (and equally useless replies). Please respect the original posters wish for constructive feedback. If you want to talk about which set of icons you like best (official ones, these ones, or others) please create a new thread or poll specifically for this purpose.

Thank you.

New Foobar Logo

Reply #27
I created another scale example. This time, with a few tweaks (mostly pixels and such) as well as using the latest logo. I also disabled the border on the smaller icons so they didn't look as cramped.

The two 48x48 icons: The first one is WITH a border, and the second one is WITHOUT a border. I personally perfer the one WITH a border.

I am thinking about using a pixel font on the smallest icons... but I have yet to see how it might look.

Any suggestions for improvements? Changes?
Song List: keikoniumboards.ke.funpic.org/files/songlist.html

New Foobar Logo

Reply #28
I think, the 16x16 should probably be just the head like foobars standard ones. I think that looks best. I like the without border one, (i got bad eye sight) but i can barely tell the difference.

New Foobar Logo

Reply #29
I think, the 16x16 should probably be just the head like foobars standard ones. I think that looks best. I like the without border one, (i got bad eye sight) but i can barely tell the difference.

Border:
No Border:

New Foobar Logo

Reply #31
That font is terrible. Use something closer to Helvetica.

New Foobar Logo

Reply #32
i think that the font looks okay on the big icons (could be a little bit smaller vertically though), but it doesn't scale well to low sizes - something more "plain" would indeed be more readable at small sizes.
I am arrogant and I can afford it because I deliver.

New Foobar Logo

Reply #33
Any font face suggestions? After all, I want something that everyone is going to like, so user input is the best in this case I think.

I have done up these three prototypes that each use a different font. I think that the "mini" font looks good:

New Foobar Logo

Reply #34
The mini is the the easiest to read at 16x16 out of the three, but it is the least attractive on a big scale, in my opinion. The Swis721 is my pick, as it is highly  readable as well as simple. However, I still think the icon could cover more negative space. Perhaps half of the free space on either vertical end? By doing this the icon should also cover more of the horizontal space. One last suggestion, could we change the brown to black? Perhaps that will contrast the white font further, augmenting its readability.

I couldn't tell you what it will look like, but theres no harm in trying.

New Foobar Logo

Reply #35
The mini is the the easiest to read at 16x16 out of the three, but it is the least attractive on a big scale, in my opinion. The Swis721 is my pick, as it is highly  readable as well as simple. However, I still think the icon could cover more negative space. Perhaps half of the free space on either vertical end? By doing this the icon should also cover more of the horizontal space. One last suggestion, could we change the brown to black? Perhaps that will contrast the white font further, augmenting its readability.

I couldn't tell you what it will look like, but theres no harm in trying.

I have to agree with you about the fonts on second look. I can try to disabled the smoothing on the Swis font at smaller sizes and see if that helps readability. I don't know about others, but I use the color of the icon to tell the difference between codecs, so the readability at those smaller sizes isn't that big a deal since I use color anyways.

I can try and make the icon wider. I just don't want it looking like a square. I'll see what I can do.

The "brown" isn't there with all icons. Its actually black, with opacity that shows through the background color of the icon. As you can see in these older versions below:

EDIT:

Here is the icon wider, and I slightly darkened the "brown"-ness at the bottom. I think it looks okay, but maybe too square?

New Foobar Logo

Reply #36
wow these are really looking awesome, just to see how they would look, could you try the fonts calibri, im curious to see what that would look like

thanks, and keep up the great work

New Foobar Logo

Reply #37
Wow! These icons do really look great!

Keep up the amazing work!

New Foobar Logo

Reply #38
Looking real nice. Hope this carries on.
I love π

New Foobar Logo

Reply #39
i think the "cats" nose should be sharper in 4th image, and an inner shadow of the last image takes almost 50% of space, it could be smaller or at least brighter

New Foobar Logo

Reply #40
EDIT:
Here is the icon wider, and I slightly darkened the "brown"-ness at the bottom. I think it looks okay, but maybe too square?

Yeah I think it's a bit too square, the other ones look better.

Amazing work though. Keep it up!

New Foobar Logo

Reply #41
I realize its only been a few days but I would be very interested in using these icons. You should let the world know when you decide to release them. Thank you.

-GreenSmurf

New Foobar Logo

Reply #42
I have done up these three prototypes that each use a different font. I think that the "mini" font looks good:

Better, but I think you use too much anti-aliasing for the font outlines so that they look unsharp or blurry. They lack the crispness that can be found in icons. I also would recommend to stick to a more standard font as they are very well balanced. I would suggest Calibri, Helvetica/Arial or Tahoma.

The "squared" suggestion looks fat to me.

Overall I look forward to the result

New Foobar Logo

Reply #43
Your icons look good, however I think the smaller ones could use a more defined border around the icon itself. The bigger icons have a nice visible border but the smaller ones are more of a blur.
bitbot

New Foobar Logo

Reply #44
I thought i'd give this a try. I ain't too good but i'll show mine anyway. I editied Luceos' design a little (the mouth)
A design based on Keikoniums

New Foobar Logo

Reply #46
looks nice...

i suggest the tango palette and Calibri font 
more or less, minus is best

New Foobar Logo

Reply #47
Thanks for the nice comments. I can't release them though. I haven't heard from Luceo. However i have been working on another icon. My DeviantArtWebpage
It's just a preview, but it looks fine in vista. I tried that tango style colors, but i found it hard for myself (since i'm not that good) to use those limited colors for all those file types.
If those icons aren't that great i am sorry, they are just going to be an alternative to the other ones available.
I would like to see someone come up with yet another foobar2000 alient cat logo.

New Foobar Logo

Reply #48
Nice to see this still going. I don't think Luceo would mind. He didn't mind me playing with his work.
I love π

New Foobar Logo

Reply #49

Sorry it took me so long to reply to this thread. I had other things going on. Anyways, I decided to go ahead and design the entire button myself using my original logo design. Let me know what you think.

Best of all, it scales rather well.