Skip to main content

Notice

Please note that most of the software linked on this forum is likely to be safe to use. If you are unsure, feel free to ask in the relevant topics, or send a private message to an administrator or moderator. To help curb the problems of false positives, or in the event that you do find actual malware, you can contribute through the article linked here.
Topic: .Ogg Vorbis aotuv (Read 493237 times) previous topic - next topic

.Ogg Vorbis aotuv

Reply #175
Oggenc2 does its job well if I write the command-line text into cmd manually and execute, but if I use a batch file I face the same unicode problem as before; files with foreign characters cannot be located and tags with foreign characters get screwed up.

Without knowing details, I'm not sure if cmd/u would help, or if cmd is just hopeless.

I was going to suggest PowerShell (formerly known as Monad), but if you're going to have to download something and re-learn scripting, you might as well use something decent like Perl or Python.

Ugh, what do Microsoft have against other languages than English?

Never attribute to malice that which can be adequately explained by incompetence.

.Ogg Vorbis aotuv

Reply #176
Ugh, what do Microsoft have against other languages than American English?
Corrected.

After more years than I care to remember, I'm still waiting for M$ to release an English version of Windows.

Cheers, Slipstreem. 

.Ogg Vorbis aotuv

Reply #178
I think he means command-line encoders on Windows can't handle something like this:

oggenc.exe "Se cyning meteþ þone biscop.wav"

AFAIK you can't fix this on Windows without adding code to handle characters outside your codepage.

Or by using an encoder that encodes from stdin like foobar2000. It has no such limitation.

.Ogg Vorbis aotuv

Reply #179
What exactly is stdin? I see this mentioned all the time but have no idea what it actually is.

By the way, I've decided to settle for my music player's (XMPlay) encoding feature. It seems rather painless, create the encoder profile for aoTuV b5.5 and then click 'n encode one wave file after another. Though I will use oggenc2 for creating batch processes in the case of music that doesn't have any foreign characters.

.Ogg Vorbis aotuv

Reply #180
foobar2000 used to be affected by this behaviour as well; it was only after I reported the bug that a workaround was put into place.

stdin refers to "standard input" and stdout refers to "standard output." If you use the stdout of one program and use it as the stdin of another program, then you can do stuff without using an intermediate file.

Thread split, anyone?

Unicode handling for output filenames is broken with encoders that don't support unicode themselves. I might add a special workaround for this but it will still break if output path contains non-system-codepage characters in directory names somewhere.

Sounds like the workaround might not be enough.

.Ogg Vorbis aotuv

Reply #181
True. You do have to add code to handle UTF16.

The versions of oggenc available from RareWares have had something like that for a few years.

Does it work on all Win32 platforms including Win9x?

Win9x never had useful Unicode support, so no. It doesn't (and can't) work on 9x.

From the comments in the source code:
Code: [Select]
   /* We only do NT4 and more recent.*/ 
   /* It would be relatively easy to add NT3.5 support. Is anyone still using NT3? */
   /* It would be relatively hard to add 9x support. Fortunately, 9x is
       a lost cause for unicode support anyway. */

Besides, Microsoft stopped doing security updates for 9x on July 11, 2006. I strongly urge anyone still using Win9x to upgrade immediately. Preferably to xubuntu or similar.

.Ogg Vorbis aotuv

Reply #182
foobar2000 used to be affected by this behaviour as well; it was only after I reported the bug that a workaround was put into place.

stdin refers to "standard input" and stdout refers to "standard output." If you use the stdout of one program and use it as the stdin of another program, then you can do stuff without using an intermediate file.

Thread split, anyone?

Foobar2000 seems to be a very widely used music player, I might check it out and see what all the fuzz is about.

But you lost me after the words "standard input" above.  I consider myself a pretty advanced user, but the audio scene is the one place I know very little about.

Oh, and I second a thread split. I never expected the discussion would get this long. . .

.Ogg Vorbis aotuv

Reply #183
standard input and standard output are not especially audio related but refer more to programming. See for example in a C/C++ book.

.Ogg Vorbis aotuv

Reply #184
I don't think they refer to programming as much as OS and program design in general. (Though abandon GUI all ye who enter here.)

Standard input (stdin) = A virtual "file" from which you read stuff to process (e.g. "keyboard").
Standard output (stdout) = A virtual "file" to which you write stuff to display (e.g. "screen").

Those streams can be also redirected to/from a real file. You can for example use a originally manual program in a batch script by redirecting its stdin from some file, containing what you'd type, and its stdout to a destination file.

Even more useful is connecting the stdout of one program to stdin of another one - creating something called a "pipe". It is possible to chain practically unlimited number of programs, each doing its job. Very common in *nix world and its many simple command-line utilities.

Back to the audio encoding case above: the encoder normally reads a WAV file and processes it to a Vorbis file. When fb2k opens a pipe to it instead, it can decode any input file from the vast amout of supported file types, possibly applying whatever DSP processing user chooses, then just dump the raw PCM data to the encoder.
Full-quoting makes you scroll past the same junk over and over.

.Ogg Vorbis aotuv

Reply #185
[never mind!]

Good work, aoyumi!
Copy Restriction, Annulment, & Protection = C.R.A.P. -Supacon

.Ogg Vorbis aotuv

Reply #186
any dates for the 5.6 Release Final?

.Ogg Vorbis aotuv

Reply #188
@Aoyumi: Thanks for your quick answer!

libvorbis 1.2.1 (unreleased) -- "Xiph.Org libVorbis I 20080501"

* Improved robustness with corrupt streams.
* New ov_read_filter() vorbisfile call allows filtering decoded
   audio as floats before converting to integer samples.
* Replaced RTP payload format draft with RFC 5215.
* Bare bones self test under 'make check'.
* Fix a problem encoding some streams between 14 and 28 kHz.
* Fix a numerical instability in the edge extrapolation filter.
* Build system improvements.
* Specification correction.

from http://svn.xiph.org/trunk/vorbis/CHANGES

would anyone tell if we're close to it?

.Ogg Vorbis aotuv

Reply #189
Cool! Would be no point in syncing to 1.2.1 before it's finalized. And then I can build ogg123 with replaygainsupport... Super  !
"ONLY THOSE WHO ATTEMPT THE IMPOSSIBLE WILL ACHIEVE THE ABSURD"
        - Oceania Association of Autonomous Astronauts

.Ogg Vorbis aotuv

Reply #192
I tested speed of OggEnc2.exe v2.85 (libvorbis 1.2.1 RC2 [aoTuVb5.6]) from rarewares (encoding quality -q 0):
no resampling:       ~20x realtime
'fast' resampling:   ~16x realtime (57,8 kb/s)
'medium' resampling: ~10x realtime (57,2 kb/s)
'best' resampling:   ~2x realtime  (56,8 kb/s)  Sloooow...

And, it looks like 'best sinc' resampler occupies ~1.3 MB, or 40% of the exe file.

.Ogg Vorbis aotuv

Reply #193
I tested speed of OggEnc2.exe v2.85 (libvorbis 1.2.1 RC2 [aoTuVb5.6]) from rarewares (encoding quality -q 0):
no resampling:       ~20x realtime
'fast' resampling:   ~16x realtime (57,8 kb/s)
'medium' resampling: ~10x realtime (57,2 kb/s)
'best' resampling:   ~2x realtime  (56,8 kb/s)  Sloooow...

And, it looks like 'best sinc' resampler occupies ~1.3 MB, or 40% of the exe file.

That's probably about right, but personally I prefer that to using the resampler that comes the standard oggvorbis encoders.

.Ogg Vorbis aotuv

Reply #194
Anyway I must say thanks for maintaining all these codecs 

.Ogg Vorbis aotuv

Reply #195
Thanks once more Aoyumi!!!

Thanks John33 for the biulds you always provide!!!

.Ogg Vorbis aotuv

Reply #197

aoTuV beta5.6 Released 
http://www.geocities.jp/aoyoume/aotuv/

New builds will be up at Rarewares either later today, or tomorrow, but I'll post here when they're available.

I'm sorry, but it's going to take a little longer than I thought, there's a lot more to check through than a simple library substitution. I'll try to have this done during the course of tomorrow, but I'm away over the weekend, so if it's a little later, please bear with me.

.Ogg Vorbis aotuv

Reply #198
I think he means command-line encoders on Windows can't handle something like this:

oggenc.exe "Se cyning meteþ þone biscop.wav"

AFAIK you can't fix this on Windows without adding code to handle characters outside your codepage.

Or by using an encoder that encodes from stdin like foobar2000. It has no such limitation.

or by using sane filenames

.Ogg Vorbis aotuv

Reply #199
I announce aoTuV beta 5.61. 
aoTuV