Skip to main content

Notice

Please note that most of the software linked on this forum is likely to be safe to use. If you are unsure, feel free to ask in the relevant topics, or send a private message to an administrator or moderator. To help curb the problems of false positives, or in the event that you do find actual malware, you can contribute through the article linked here.

Poll

Music Genres

Pop/Top 40
[ 5 ] (5%)
Rap
[ 5 ] (5%)
Rock
[ 28 ] (28%)
Heavy Metal
[ 16 ] (16%)
Electronic/Techno/Dance
[ 29 ] (29%)
Country
[ 1 ] (1%)
Jazz
[ 3 ] (3%)
Blues
[ 3 ] (3%)
Classical
[ 10 ] (10%)

Total Members Voted: 115

Topic: Music Genres (Read 6029 times) previous topic - next topic

Music Genres

What is your preferred music genre?

Pop/Top 40
Rap
Rock
Heavy Metal
Electronic/Techno/Dance
Country
Jazz
Blues
Classical

Rap.

Music Genres

Reply #1
Hrmm... none of the above.. heh

I listen to a very wide range of music also (partly due to working for an 'underground' zine).  I tend to pay less attention to genres and more attention to the actual work that I'm listening to.  It does often happen though that there are clusters of similarly minded artists who end up among my favorites, which I suppose predisposes me to certain 'genres'.  I often end up liking groupings of offerings from certain labels though, due to a similar and often cohesive ideology being spread across their signed artists, rather than rigidly defined genres.

If you pigeonhole all music into such overlysimplistic categories, you miss out on an absolutely huge segment of the stuff out there.  Unfortunately, it seems that most people view the genres you listed as being the only real viable forms of music.  Either they are in the music industry and don't care about the other stuff because it's not 'in' and at the top of the charts, or as consumers they are not even aware that so much other stuff out there actually exists.

If I were to create a poll, it would have been much different

Music Genres

Reply #2
I miss Industrial in the poll, so I voted for metal...

Metal ruleZ
I love the moderators.

Music Genres

Reply #3
I don't really like the concept of genres either. I tend to just lump everything that I listen to as "rock". That way I don't have to make deicions as to what it is. Kenny Wayne Shepherd? Rock? Blues? Eh, I'll just say rock. Tool? Rock? Metal? Eh, it's rock. I think there are a finite number of bands that can actually be classified, and that's usually just because the genre was origonally defined by them.

Music Genres

Reply #4
Just look at the genres that music websites display for artists and albums. CDNOW used to list Bruce Springsteen under "Oldies", IIRC. And often times, their genre assignments are only slightly wrong, but if you have deeper knowledge about that kind of music, it sounds like a sacrilege.

I don't include the Genre field in my tags anymore.

Music Genres

Reply #5
My genres : electronica, gothic, experimental, heavenly etheral, ambient, electro, anime, goa trance.

I once searched for Tim Story - Abridged, in the record shop of my town. I heard it on a shoutcast, but I was unable to decide if I should look into Pop, techno-ambient, indies, or relaxation... When the guy found the record in his database, it was into the Jazz section 

Music Genres

Reply #6
I don't prefer genres either. I have different views as to what something might be called by me vs. someone else. How many do you think are out there? The one I get a kick out of in EAC is 'Primus'. Wow, they get their very own genre.

Music Genres

Reply #7
It can be hard to judge diffrent styles of music, especially when artists change styles from one album to another but it's not impossible. I don't have enough time or interest to judge my music styles with great detail I mainly use Pop/Rock & if I'm familiar with the band or album I may go more in-depth.

The one I get a kick out of in EAC is 'Primus'. Wow, they get their very own genre.

I like Christian Gangsta Rap

Music Genres

Reply #8
i miss Britpop/Indie/Alternative
thats the only thing i listen to besides Rock, Classical Music and some Phychodelical Rock like Pink Floyd

(at the moment i'm listening to Pink Floyd - Pulse - High Hopes

Music Genres

Reply #9
None.
Anything if it's good.

Music Genres

Reply #10
I could live the rest of my life listening to nothing but the best in dance (euro / freestyle / house) music. I've been hooked on this stuff for years, and I still can't get enough of it.

Music Genres

Reply #11
I miss japanese music but some would say it fits the other genres. In reality, the "pop" genres actually means USA

I also happen to like some synth retro music, like that produced using C64 SID chips or, Famicom, and some other devices (like FM synth), hehehe.

And, where can we put "Tracker" (.mod/.s3m/.xm) Music? It would be kinda like techno but its not true for everything produced in these formats...

It is obvious that the common "genre" methods don't help much people. I suppose it is yet another indirect recording industry control mechanism. "Top 40" like and such.

Well because i happen to like various "Classical" composers, i guess its the best choice i can pick from the ones above. Hmm that also reminds me i also happen to like some contemporary orchestral music used (ie.) in movies,  like John Williams pieces (Star wars, ET, etc).

In fact im still missing a lot of stuff i like, but i would not end writting so, just know that no matter how many genres, some stuff will still miss or not fit
She is waiting in the air

Music Genres

Reply #12
I like electronic music, but I'm very picky....been into it for the past 10 years so I've got a pretty finely tuned ear....anything that's got a creative edge and doesn't sound like it was made with a casio (Darude, et. al).

That being said, I like GOOD music as well.....which is subjective and can fit in almost any pre-defined genre.

Music Genres

Reply #13
I don't have a single favorite genre. I like most classical periods and styles, except opera and 20th century.  I like jazz, blues, a little country, some pop, and most of the many sub-genres of rock from the 50's on.

The closest I'd come to a favorite non-classical genre is "singer-songwriters" but of every flavor from A-ha and AC/DC through Michael Penn and Iggy Pop to Frank Zappa and (old) ZZTop.

Music Genres

Reply #14
singer-songwriters

tracy chapman, tori amos and such (good) stuff ?

Music Genres

Reply #15
I enjoy music from most genres except techno/dance - I get aggresive and want to kill something when I hear it.

If I have to choose, I'd say that my favorite genres are Opera, NewCountry and GothMetal.

Music Genres

Reply #16
My favourite genres are Metal, Gothic, EBM, Darkwave or how you want to call it
But some of my favourite bands doesn't fit in the above genres... so i think this vote is pretty pointless (at least for me) 

Music Genres

Reply #17
R'n'B

Music Genres

Reply #18
Well, you can go ramblin about sticking music into different categories, but if you want to talk about a broader range of music you have to make some kind of classification.

I listen to mostly trance especially progressive trance (but I've noticed that others have a different definition of progressive trance than I do). To me it means deep, energetic, slightly melodic and pumping. Artists that I admire include: Max Graham, Starecase, Way Out West, Planisphere, Oliver Lieb (and his thousands of aliases), Adam Dived, James Holden, Deepsky and Praha. When I last tried to purchase some CDs by one of these artists I couldn't find any the local shop .

If we move over to a little more commercial stuff, I like Dumonde for their absolute phat sound. Dj Tiesto makes some good music from time to time (Urban Train, Obsession). Others include Riva, Yahel, Armin van Buuren, Johan Gielen and Push. You can allway count on Paul van Dyk or Ferry Corsten to create some nice uplifting tunes. RMB has gone through a nice evolution leading to good music as well.

Then there's artists/bands like: The Prodigy, Timo Maas, Fatboy Slim, Röyksopp, Moby, Chemical Brothers, Crystal Method and more  On rare occasions I enjoy some happy hardcore (Dj Paul Elstak, Raver's Nature) which is fun and wonderfully naive. Ibiza-relax-trance like Chicane is also nice.

I'm split when it comes to house (which is also a very wide genre). There's alot of boring stuff, but some stuff is so full of energy and emotion.

I also like good rock/pop, but I find it hard to define which is which. I can't connect to the music of Pink Floyd and the other big ones of the same period. It just doesn't work for me. I have discovered that I like most of Madonna's music (but think most of the stuff on "music" is crap). I really liked her album "Ray of Light" which was produced by William Orbit. I like most pop produced by him like All Saints' "Pure Shores" or "Black Coffee" which I must admit are targetted at the mass market, but I feel his music sounds special. A little noticed band that also makes great sounding energetic rock is Electrasy (gained a little more popularity after the movie Titan AE for which they produced the song "Cosmic Castaway"). Sometimes I pop in some Nickleback, Puddle of Mud, Korn or Placebo, but they can't keep my attention for long. a-ha makes songs which you need to time to grow into, but once you get into the feeling, they're wonderful.

The one thing I absolutely can't stand is RnB and this New Soul crap (Craig David, Alliyah, Destiny's Child, late Britney Spears, Christina Aguillera). (Sorry Jenny, nothing personal.) It's just some strange beat which tries so hard not to be predictable but still danceable accompanied by weird but un-innovative sounds plus some barely audible vocals. The same goes for what I call soft hip-hop (some Puff Daddy, Papa Bear).

HipHop/Rap doesn't mean much to me, but I admire those record twisting, beat manipulating, scratching DJs! Germany's "Die Fantastischen Vier" are one band that sticks out imo. I love their music: fun, positive, thoughtfull, awesome use of language!

Now that I've been through the stuff which you'll find more or less on one radio station or another, I would like to focus on celtic music. I've never heard of any station that plays this. I absolutely love celtic music (some call it irish folk)! That's music for your feet and music to be performed live! Did you ever see a guy go totally wild with one of those tiny fluets? Or to see one hair after another falling down the bow of a mad fiddler? That music is just so full of emotion! Accoustic guitars can have such a pleasing sound. This is music for people to get together and enjoy themselves or to mourn over personal tragedies. Here's some bands I enjoy: Geraldine MacGowan & Friends, Jake Walton & Eric Liorzou, Alan & John Kelly, Leahy, Ashley MacIsaac, Blair Douglas, Slide. There's some great music available on CD, but you have to wittness it live for full effect.

Wow, long post... thanks to all who took the time to read through all of this, but you asled for it.

Music Genres

Reply #19
None voted for Rock.

I listen to mostly Alternative/Punk/Ska

--Grant

Music Genres

Reply #20
All the talk about how pidgeonholing music is a bad thing, how much more difficult would things be without them?  It would be a lot more effort sorting through large music collections surely?  As long as the boundaries aren't defined too rigidly I don't see a problem, that is when you end up with as many genre's as there artists..  eg, splitting metal into 200 different categories including "grindcore"..  wtf?
< w o g o n e . c o m / l o l >

Music Genres

Reply #21
Yeah you need categories. No matter how many "might" fit what you listen to. If I were to go up to someone and say I like goa, chances are all I would get is a blank stare. If I call it trance, a few bulbs go on. If I generalize further and say electronic I will get no end of stereotypical opinions on the genre and how much it sucks compared to corporate pop, or no talent rap metal. Fact is that Goa is a subsection of trance, which is generally a subsection of electronic. When you are in the company of your peers, call it what you wish.  But when you speak to the general public you have about 7 or 8 genres to choose from. Rock, Rap(yech), R&B, Country, Classical, pop, Ethnic/folk, Electronic. You go any further than that and you are likely to lose them.

edit: spelling

Music Genres

Reply #22
funky/disco/tribal/tech/progressive house

&

florida/progressive breaks

for those that don't know what house and breaks are, they fit into the Electronic/Techno/Dance category... most of the people who don't understand the many many subgenres of Electronic music, sum it all up as "Techno"...and when people come up to the DJ booth complaining about too much "Techno", i tell 'em they don't have a clue what they're talking about and they get more 

Music Genres

Reply #23
Gecko, I saw your mention of Way out West...check out the official fan/news site for them on the net, which I help run: http://www.wowest.cc (if this is against forum rules, I apologize in advance).

Music Genres

Reply #24
By Billy Joel
What's the matter with the clothes I'm wearing?
"Can't you tell that your tie's too wide?"
Maybe I should buy some old tab collars?
"Welcome back to the age of jive.
Where have you been hidin' out lately, honey?
You can't dress trashy till you spend a lot of money."
Everybody's talkin' 'bout the new sound
Funny, but it's still rock and roll to me

What's the matter with the car I'm driving?
"Can't you tell that it's out of style?"
Should I get a set of while wall tires?
"Are you gonna cruise the miracle mile?
Nowadays you can't be too sentimental
Your best bet's a true baby blue Continental."
Hot funk, cool punk, even if it's old junk
It's still rock and roll to me

Oh, it doesn't matter what they say in the papers
'Cause it's always been the same old scene.
There's a new band in town
But you can't get the sound from a story in a magazine...
Aimed at your average teen

How about a pair of pink sidewinders
And a bright orange pair of pants?
"You could really be a Beau Brummel baby
If you just give it half a chance.
Don't waste your money on a new set of speakers,
You get more mileage from a cheap pair of sneakers."
Next phase, new wave, dance craze, anyways

What's the matter with the crowd I'm seeing?
"Don't you know that they're out of touch?"
Should I try to be a straight `A' student?
"If you are then you think too much.
Don't you know about the new fashion honey?
All you need are looks and a whole lotta money."
It's the next phase, new wave, dance craze, anyways

Everybody's talkin' 'bout the new sound
Funny, but it's still rock and roll to me

B)
"You have the right to remain silent. Anything you say will be misquoted, then used against you."