Skip to main content

Notice

Please note that most of the software linked on this forum is likely to be safe to use. If you are unsure, feel free to ask in the relevant topics, or send a private message to an administrator or moderator. To help curb the problems of false positives, or in the event that you do find actual malware, you can contribute through the article linked here.
Topic: FFmpeg, ALAC, and hiResolution audio (Read 7871 times) previous topic - next topic

FFmpeg, ALAC, and hiResolution audio

Recently I've been playing with  ffmpeg version N-35509-gfd36cbf to see how far we can go with encoding content in Apple Lossless. My experiences with flac tracks encoded with CD quality were really successful. Happy with the results, I took Stevie Wonder's album, "Innervisions", that is encoded as FLAC 96/24. Purchased from HDTracks. Unfortunately, the feedback wasn't positive, at all. Foobar2000 was giving an alert that encoder has terminated prematurely, so I decided to experiment via terminal. At firstt, it was unnable to load libfaac.dll, which I thought it could solve the problem, so I downloaded the file. Now I've tested once again, and here are the results, including the command used:

'C:\Arquivos de programas\foobar2000>ffmpeg.exe -i "d:\música\stevie wonder\inner
visions\01 Too High.flac" -acodec alac d:\2High.m4a
ffmpeg version N-35509-gfd36cbf-Sherpya, Copyright © 2000-2011 the FFmpeg deve
lopers
  built on Dec  7 2011 06:17:11 with gcc 4.6.2
  libavutil    51. 30. 0 / 51. 30. 0
  libavcodec  53. 41. 0 / 53. 41. 0
  libavformat  53. 24. 0 / 53. 24. 0
  libavdevice  53.  4. 0 / 53.  4. 0
  libavfilter  2. 51. 0 /  2. 51. 0
  libswscale    2.  1. 0 /  2.  1. 0
  libpostproc  51.  2. 0 / 51.  2. 0
[flac @ 01db9920] max_analyze_duration 5000000 reached at 5034667
Input #0, flac, from 'd:\m├║sica\stevie wonder\innervisions\01 Too High.flac':
  Metadata:
    ALBUM          : Innervisions
    album_artist    : Stevie Wonder
    ARTIST          : Stevie Wonder
    COMPOSER        : Stevie Wonder
    COPYRIGHT      : 1973 Motown Records, a division of UMG Recordings, Inc.
    disc            : 1
    GENRE          : R&B
    TITLE          : Too High
    TOTALDISCS      : 1
    TOTALTRACKS    : 9
    DATE            : 1973
    track          : 1
  Duration: 00:04:35.98, bitrate: 2997 kb/s
    Stream #0:0: Audio: flac, 96000 Hz, stereo, s32
Incompatible sample format 's32' for codec 'alac', auto-selecting format 's16'
[ipod @ 01db3a20] track 0: output format does not support sample rate 96000hz
Output #0, ipod, to 'd:\2High.m4a':
  Metadata:
    ALBUM          : Innervisions
    album_artist    : Stevie Wonder
    ARTIST          : Stevie Wonder
    COMPOSER        : Stevie Wonder
    COPYRIGHT      : 1973 Motown Records, a division of UMG Recordings, Inc.
    disc            : 1
    GENRE          : R&B
    TITLE          : Too High
    TOTALDISCS      : 1
    TOTALTRACKS    : 9
    DATE            : 1973
    track          : 1
    encoder        : Lavf53.24.0
    Stream #0:0: Audio: alac (alac / 0x63616C61), 96000 Hz, stereo, s16, 128 kb/
s
Stream mapping:
  Stream #0:0 -> #0:0 (flac -> alac)
Could not write header for output file #0 (incorrect codec parameters ?)"

Please do not take into consideration metadata information extracted by the ffmpeg since it only sees the first FLAC tag. The question is, how one is able to encode ALAC content using hi resolution as the source? I have interest on encoding, either using the same atributes, or using diferent sample rates/bit depths.

Any help from an expert on ffmpeg is highly appreciated. At least we see some light on never being dependent on iTunes in case some ALAC is needed.

Thanks in advance.

Peace,

Edu.

Reply #2
refalac

Reply #3
@Rollin: Yes, I've been sneaking around the subject something like two months ago thanks to Google. I should say I was surprised (to say the least) when I learned that Apple has changed Apple Lossless' license and released all format's specifications to the public, considering its reputation. Hope it is actually positive.

@lvqcl: I just have one word for this implementation: Flawless. Using it on Foobar right now, without hastles. Thanks for pointing it out.

Peace,

Edu.