Skip to main content

Notice

Please note that most of the software linked on this forum is likely to be safe to use. If you are unsure, feel free to ask in the relevant topics, or send a private message to an administrator or moderator. To help curb the problems of false positives, or in the event that you do find actual malware, you can contribute through the article linked here.
Topic: Save as cuesheet does ignores track-durations ? INDEX 01 00:00:00 (1.5b19) (Read 1208 times) previous topic - next topic

Save as cuesheet does ignores track-durations ? INDEX 01 00:00:00 (1.5b19)

Hi,
I have never used that before, so it might be a correct behaviour, but I surely don't see why :-)

When using RMB ->Utilities->Save as cuesheet
the resulting file looks like this: Spoiler (click to show/hide)

All tracks have  INDEX 01 00:00:00

I was guessing/expecting, that the duration of the titles are reflected too.

After setting the correct filename in the cuesheet, it looks like in screenshot "resulting cuesheet with FILE '''foo.mp3' set.png"

Any Idea why? And how I get f2k to save the tracklengths too ?

Re: Save as cuesheet does ignores track-durations ? INDEX 01 00:00:00 (1.5b19)

Reply #1
Cue sheet only indicates track lengths when the album is a single file image.

Reply #2
Cue sheet only indicates track lengths when the album is a single file image.
Aha. Thank you.

What could possibly the reason for such an inconvenient and unpleasant feature? ;-)
(The tracklengths are known, why not include them?)

Reply #3
I can't know for sure the reasons for the cue sheet specifications, but I assume it doesn't support specifying individual file lengths because that would be pointless. The lengths can be read from the files.

Is your screenshot that shows question marks instead of lengths a staged scenario where you loaded a cuesheet when it had no access to the actual files? That's the only way I know of to get unknown lengths.

Reply #4
I assume it doesn't support specifying individual file lengths because that would be pointless. The lengths can be read from the files.
hmmm. Not quite sure, I understand the purpose of a cuesheet then.
There are no single files from which lengths could be read, when the cuesheet only points to a big single file, but I may have not understood what you have written....

The first screenshot in my initial post shows individual files, which I created a cuesheet from. Those files where splitted from a big by a cuesheet splitter (Medival Cue Splitter) I used, with a cuesheet, I unfortunately lost. Thats why I wanted to create a new one.

In the second screenshot  I had loaded the created cuesheet into f2k. Before that, I put in the correct filename which is within the same folder as the cuesheet. The file can be accessed, because track 01 shows the length of the whole big file. All other tracks show ? because (and thats a guess) of the wrongly stored INDEX information.

Code: [Select]
FILE "foo.mp3" WAVE
I too remember putting a wrong file into the FILE section of a cuesheet gives ? as filelengths and that makes sense to me. (no file to access = no filelenghts to access, hence the ?)

What makes no sense (apart from any specicications which I never read) is that the user needs to put the lenghts in the cuesheet file by hand, while all the rest is auto created, like title, genre, replay gain, etc.

I hope, thats a bug, which will be addressed ;-)

Reply #5
hmmm. Not quite sure, I understand the purpose of a cuesheet then.
Cue sheet describes how to arrange tracks when burning an audio CD.

There are no single files from which lengths could be read, when the cuesheet only points to a big single file, but I may have not understood what you have written....
In this scenario track lengths are calculated from the index markers, apart from the last track. Its length is what is left over from the track length minus the last index marker. Note that the cue sheet you pasted isn't like this but has individual files for each track.

All other tracks show ? because (and thats a guess) of the wrongly stored INDEX information.
Incorrect. Index markers split tracks into indexes which could be accessed by a CD player. They can only be used to calculate track lengths when dealing with single file image. There is no index to mark end of track.

I hope, thats a bug, which will be addressed ;-)
There is no bug. You can't do something the format doesn't support.

PS: the component you use to create the cuesheet is not part of foobar2000.

Reply #6
offtopic, but... Medieval Cuesplitter can loose samples at tracks boundaries, so you will not have bit-perect copy anymore. Don't use it. Use CUETools

Reply #7
Case,
so it seems, I totally

a) missused the cuesheet generation for something it was not ment to do.

b) was under the wrong impression, that feature was part of f2k, but -indeed- it seems to be a 3rd-party component.

c) don't know, what I'm talking about ;-]

d) learned a lot of new old things!

Thank you for the useful explanations&informations (and your patience!), though, that all don't helped me with my issue, so I need to look further ;-)

Medieval Cuesplitter can loose samples [...] Use CUETools
Thanks, I read about it while searching for my issues about that darn cue-thing here. I will check.

Thanks again!

Ok,
 If anyone knows a component, or a way which enables me to (automaticly!)

save a kind of cuesheet (which can be generated from a couple of musicfiles)
which is reflecting the tracklengths of those musicfiles,
so I can apply this "cuesheet" to different big musicfile to split it to single tracks or embed that cuesheet into that big file

please don't hesitate to yell...

Reply #8
If anyone knows a component, or a way which enables me to (automaticly!)

save a kind of cuesheet (which can be generated from a couple of musicfiles)
which is reflecting the tracklengths of those musicfiles,
so I can apply this "cuesheet" to different big musicfile to split it to single tracks or embed that cuesheet into that big file

select files -> right click -> Convert -> ...
Output format: WAV
Destination: Generate multi-track files

foobar2000 will create a WAV file and a corresponding CUE sheet. Delete the WAV file and modify the cuesheet as you need.

Reply #9
....and I already had a saved preset for that, called "CUE Generator" ... well...

But it did not created a CUE file anymore, because I had somewhen changed the output format from WAV to 8kbps mp3, because I thought, it would be faster than converting to WAV.....

This is how things can go deeply wrong...

Thank you ivqcl !
And again, Case !