Skip to main content

Notice

Please note that most of the software linked on this forum is likely to be safe to use. If you are unsure, feel free to ask in the relevant topics, or send a private message to an administrator or moderator. To help curb the problems of false positives, or in the event that you do find actual malware, you can contribute through the article linked here.
Topic: [foobar & m-TAGS] Problems with max tag length (Read 1184 times) previous topic - next topic

[foobar & m-TAGS] Problems with max tag length

Hi guys,

I've been using foobar 1.4.2 and m-TAGS component for a while, and so far it works perfectly.
Recently I have tried to introduce some really long custom tags (ex : one of the longest is 2267 chars long, supposed to be split in 76 values, and it may not be the longest).
Those tags are written perfectly by foobar + m-TAGS to the !.tags text files, but foobar doesn't seem to handle them well afterwards (see at the end).
I understand that foobar may limit tag length in some ways due to conventional embedded tags, but since m-TAGS writes tags to !.tags text files, why should there be any length limitation ?

Bottom line :
- What are exactly foobar's current tag limitations ? (max length, max number of values per tag field...)
- Can something be done to improve this ?

Thanks.

PS : here are my current problems :
- Such long tags don't appear to be searchable anymore (if I search for a text within these tags I don't get results). None of the searches work : Library search, Facets search, EsPlaylist search...
- I can't split them with the masstagger (e.g. "split fields by separator" doesn't work on them)
- On Facets, such long tags appear as simply "."

Re: [foobar & m-TAGS] Problems with max tag length

Reply #1
You need to adjust the settings in LargeFieldsConfig.txt to your needs.

Reply #2
Wow ! That was so easy ! Thanks fbuser for that amazing tip.

I had been looking for such settings in the Advanced preferences (and maybe they should be included actually, because I would never have thought of modifying a separate text file, lol).

FYI I had to set defaultMetaMax=6000 , because my longest string appeared to be just a little over 5000 chars.

Reply #3
I had to set defaultMetaMax=6000 , because my longest string appeared to be just a little over 5000 chars.
Quote from LargeFieldsConfig.txt: Note, size limit values are in UTF-8 bytes, not characters!