Skip to main content

Notice

Please note that most of the software linked on this forum is likely to be safe to use. If you are unsure, feel free to ask in the relevant topics, or send a private message to an administrator or moderator. To help curb the problems of false positives, or in the event that you do find actual malware, you can contribute through the article linked here.
Topic: Looking at some new headphones. Something better than my MDR-V6's (Read 11089 times) previous topic - next topic

Looking at some new headphones. Something better than my MDR-V6's

Hi, I bought a pair of Sony MDR-V6's about 3-4 years ago, and they are absolutely the best headphones I have ever owned. I paid about $75 after shipping ~4 years ago, but now the rubber on the cord has worn away near the top, and they probably won't last much longer (the wires are exposed for about 2 inches). Anyways, I am looking into getting a new set of headphones. I was going to just purcahse another pair of these mdr-v6's because I know they are a for sure what I want in headphones, but this time around I am willing to spend a bit more (Probably up to like $120). Amazon has Sennheiser HD-555's on sale for about $83. How will these compare to the MDR-v6's in terms of sound quality? I bought my first pair of Sennheisers (Sennheiser Wireless RS 130) on black friday. I sold them because they did not sound nearly as good as my MDR-v6's and I didn't really need the wireless anyways. If I like the Sony MDR-v6's what is a good step up from them?
Thanks

Reply #1
The Sennheiser 555s are more 'smooth', almost muffled in comparison. The MDR-V6 is much more analytical, revealing and crystal-clear. My choice is easily the MDR-V6 [which is why it's still with me, and the HD555 got the boot].

As for an upgrade, try AKG's K701 or K702. These are open are definitely require a headphone amp, but they're simply amazing [even disregarding the reasonable price].

Reply #2
You might want to consider the ATH M-50. They are regarded to be very similar to the V6, even better in the bass department response. I have them myself but I haven't heard the sony V6, so can't tell how they'll sound in a "comparison".

Reply #3
As for an upgrade, try AKG's K701 or K702. These are open are definitely require a headphone amp, but they're simply amazing [even disregarding the reasonable price].

The K701 and K702 do not require an amp.  They are a relatively low impedance, high sensitivity headphone.  They are somewhat "bass-lite."  People claim that amping them addresses this, but that's probably placebo since a) nobody can actually explain why an amp supposedly changes the K701 sound and b) I haven't seen any volume matched tests to demonstrate an amp actually makes a difference for the K701/K702

The V6 is a wonderful sounding headphone.  The Sennheiser 555 has a great sound but sennheiser has boosted the midbass to give is a "warm" sound so you may not like it.  The Sennheiser 555 is an "open" design so there are advantages to that.

At the V6's $100 price point (and even much higher price points) there are not many headphones that can beat it.  I've heard the ATH M-50.  I prefer the V6.

Reply #4

From Headroom

Your V6 is a decent headphone. (Look how flat it is)

My 2 cents is:
Look for a headphone with a same tonal balance, yet wider frequency range.

Reply #5
Does anybody know how Sony MDR-EX500LP (Ear bud type selling for $87 in amazon.com) compares to MDR-V6?

In general, how does the ear bud type headphones compare to those with think ear pads?

I am looking to get a pair of headphone around the $80 price range. But think pad type is too warm to be comfortable in the tropical heat.

BTW - MDR-V6 is selling for $65 in amazon.com. The price is very tempting.

Reply #6
You might want to consider the ATH M-50. They are regarded to be very similar to the V6, even better in the bass department response. I have them myself but I haven't heard the sony V6, so can't tell how they'll sound in a "comparison".

I have a pair of ATH-M50s and a pair of MDR 7506 which are considered to be the same as the V6, only more rugged for studio use.  IMO the M50s are smoother, both bass and treble.  Another set of phones to consider in this price range - the HD-280s.

As far as bass goes, that's very dependent on fit.

Reply #7
The V6s are physically identical to the 7506s, but sound NOTHING like them.

Between work and home, I have access to three pairs of 7506s and two pairs of V6s, and the V6s definitely have completely different drivers.  They are much, much smoother and better-balanced than the 7506s - not a trace of the upper-mid/top-end hype, nor the "larger than life" bass, of the 7506s.

Regarding the ATH-M50s, I agree with odigg, as I also own a pair of M50s, and to my ears, they have a somewhat (stereotypical) "hi-fi", smiley-curve balance.

While I also think that the V6s are overall the best-balanced headphones available for under $100, there may be a caveat to that.  I bought a pair of V6s about six months ago from an authorized dealer on eBay, and they were indeed factory-new and sealed when I got them.  However, the right channel was completely dead right out of the box, and the left channel sounded noticeably more harsh/distorted in the upper mids than either pair of my V6s (one roughly 10 years old, the other about six, and both made in Japan).  Sony moved production of most (all?) of their MDR headphones from Japan to China and Thailand several years ago, and it appears that QC may have suffered as a result...
"Not sure what the question is, but the answer is probably no."

Reply #8
I bought a pair of Sony MDR-V6's about 3-4 years ago

I have a pair and just love them. I would put some shrink wrap on the cable and keep using them. Mine are very old and the ear pads can deteriorate, but they can be purchased from Sony.

@everyone else
If anyone has any suggestions for an in-ear set that is comparable with the MDR-V6, I would like that information!
Glass half full!

Reply #9
I have a pair of MDR-V6's in my drawer behind me.  And when I first got them, I thought they were great.  But now they sound like rubbish compared to my other headphones - harsh, poor imaging, poor sonics at all frequencies, etc.

If you like an exciting sound rather then smooth and laid-back, get a Grado 225 for an open headphone, or if you need a closed headphone, I'm not exactly sure at that price range.  But you can find lots of different used, but well cared-for, headphones in the For Sale section on Head-Fi for good prices.

Now I'm using a highly modded JVC HP DX-1000.  ~$700
I've never heard anything better, including electrostatics, the Sony R-10, and the AT-L3000.
Of course, my amp and DAC contribute greatly to the sound too.

Reply #10
The V6s are physically identical to the 7506s, but sound NOTHING like them.

Interesting you would say this considering this post WmAx on the V6/7506.  Keep in mind that WmAx is quite knowledgeable about audio and knows what he is talking about.  I've found that the sound of Sony Headphones deteriorates as the earpads deteriorate.  Could this explain the sonic differences you hear?

I would not recommend the HD280.  The V6 has a rather nice bass presence. The HD280 sounds very anemic in the bass and is one of the few headphones I dislike.

Another option is the Shure 440 and 840.  They sound quite nice.  I still prefer the V6 though.

Reply #11
I just found out about Head Direct RE0. It was selling at $199 la bit over a year ago but now it is going for $79.

Does anybody has any experience to share on this?

Many thanks....

Reply #12
I've bought several things from Head Direct with no problems.  In fact, I'm expecting a HiFiMAN HE.5 headphone and EF5 tube amp today or tomorrow.