Skip to main content

Notice

Please note that most of the software linked on this forum is likely to be safe to use. If you are unsure, feel free to ask in the relevant topics, or send a private message to an administrator or moderator. To help curb the problems of false positives, or in the event that you do find actual malware, you can contribute through the article linked here.
Topic: WMP Tag Plus - MPEG4, Vorbis and FLAC metadata support for WMP (Read 516862 times) previous topic - next topic

WMP Tag Plus - MPEG4, Vorbis and FLAC metadata support for WMP

Reply #150
The FLAC album seems to be missing the 'AlbumArtist' tag, it is required for albums where there are different artists for songs.

I checked all the files. All the same. They all have albumartist tag, but it seems WMP doesn't read it.

Reply #151
As you are also using Mp3tag, this is likely the same problem that lanamelach had here. It is caused by the fact that Mp3tag uses a different field for Album Artist in FLAC files than WMP Tag Plus. I posted a solution here, hopefully it will work for you as well.

Reply #152
For album covers, you can add a 'folder.jpg' file in the album folder and it will be displayed in the library (not for now playing tracks though).

No, it is displayed for the now playing track as well.

For me, the folder.jpg is not displayed for the now playing track (screenshot). May there be something I'm doing wrong?

Reply #153
As you are also using Mp3tag, this is likely the same problem that lanamelach had here. It is caused by the fact that Mp3tag uses a different field for Album Artist in FLAC files than WMP Tag Plus. I posted a solution here, hopefully it will work for you as well.

Yeah. This is it. Thank you for your help.

Reply #154
For me, the folder.jpg is not displayed for the now playing track (screenshot). May there be something I'm doing wrong?

I think that this is because WMP Tag Plus doesn't support embedded album art yet. Once this support has been added, WMP should show album art for the now playing track too. I can't really tell why it is working for teohhanhui, perhaps he is using WMP 11?

Reply #155

I think that this is because WMP Tag Plus doesn't support embedded album art yet. Once this support has been added, WMP should show album art for the now playing track too. I can't really tell why it is working for teohhanhui, perhaps he is using WMP 11?

I'm using WMP 12 and folder.jpg is displayed for album covers as well as the now playing track.

Reply #156
Hello, everybody!

I'd like to thank Tim, the author of this usefull plugin for WMP. Though I enjoy fb2k and use it everyday, my girlfriend dislikes it and prefers WMP. One of the reason is that there are no official localisations for fb2k. Since large part of our medialibrary consists of FLAC and AAC files there was a problem with WMP. And now with this plugin it is gone.

Certainly, it is not all. I have some difficulties...

First problem I solved myself. May be it will be usefull for someone. At first I used WMPTSE plugin but it didn't give me appropriate results. So I tried WMP Tag Plus but not everything was OK. Some FLAC albums and all AAC albums were not recognized even by this plugin. Then I ripped new FLAC album from CD and found that newly created album was recognized! I understood that something was wrong with WMP library (probably it was corrupted by WMPTSE plugin) and removed library file as it is written in the link at the beginning of this thread:
That doesn't really sound like it could be caused by WMP Tag Plus. Does this still happen after uninstalling my plug-in? Maybe your WMP library somehow got corrupted and needs to be rebuild? (be aware that rebuilding the library will make you lose all play counts, and possibly ratings too)

Second problem is connected with MadFLAC. I found that in WMP FLAC current track time is not properly displayed (but seekbar is OK, and with AAC files everything is OK). So I decided to install DirectShow filters from xiph.org as it was said many times in the thread. I installed DirectShow filters from xiph.org and disabled MadFLAC filter (I use K-lite Codec Pack and its utility Codec Tweak Tool), but it didn't work. And its unbelievable - i tried this for a second time and everything is alright :-) The second problem is also solved. May be it was some sort of bug, etc...

Though second problem was solved during writing this post i'll add my post to the thread because in my opinion it can be usefull...

PS. My system: Windows XP SP3 (32-bit), WMP11.

Reply #157
I think that both of your problems were caused by the fact that you didn't re-add the FLAC and AAC files to the library after installing WMP Tag Plus. This is required for files that are already in the library, to make WMP read the metadata again.

Rebuilding the library will cause WMP to read the metadata too, but it's a bit overkill. Removing the files from library and then re-adding them should work equally well.

Reply #158
Rebuilding the library will cause WMP to read the metadata too, but it's a bit overkill. Removing the files from library and then re-adding them should work equally well.

You misunderstood me in one point. The fact is that when I installed WMPTSE and tried to add my old music in FLAC and AAC I failed. So there were no FLAC music in my WMP library (as I could it see). Then I uninstalled WMPTSE and installed WMP Tag Plus. I tried to add my old FLAC music but failed again. I suppose that WMPTSE in fact indexed the files but with some errors. So these files won't displayed at the WMP window. Even after I installed WMP Tag Plus. And how can I delete files that are not displayed? Then I ripped my disc... (the rest of the story in my first message) After I had rebuilt the library everything was alright.

I think that both of your problems were caused by the fact that you didn't re-add the FLAC and AAC files to the library after installing WMP Tag Plus. This is required for files that are already in the library, to make WMP read the metadata again.

I'm sure that second problem (a bug with DirectShow filter) isn't relevant to problem with library. This problem annoyed me a little. I began to solve (installing new DS filters, disabling old) only after first had been solved. It was a bug. I need to say that my computer is old, there's a small problem with a hard drive. It can be naughty :-)

Reply #159
You misunderstood me in one point. The fact is that when I installed WMPTSE and tried to add my old music in FLAC and AAC I failed. So there were no FLAC music in my WMP library (as I could it see). Then I uninstalled WMPTSE and installed WMP Tag Plus. I tried to add my old FLAC music but failed again. I suppose that WMPTSE in fact indexed the files but with some errors. So these files won't displayed at the WMP window. Even after I installed WMP Tag Plus. And how can I delete files that are not displayed?

Hmm, it's possible that the FLAC and AAC files were still in the Other Media section instead of in Music. And if they really weren't in the library yet, pressing F3 in WMP (Add to Library) after WMP Tag Plus was installed, and clicking OK, should have been enough to get them in the library. Not that it really matters anymore now

Reply #160
Hello guys! Just wanna share some pics of my WMP12 Library of my flac collection from 16/44 to 24/96 sample rate. All Album has an album art and complete proper tagging. Hope this gives help to others.

Reply #161
Thank you, and nice screenshots as well

I hope to release the next major version of WMP Tag Plus, which will support album art, before the end of this year, but I can't promise anything.

Reply #162
Hi,

Thanks for your plugin. It does work as expected.

I have about 1500 albums tagged, with album images, AMG data, etc. It took me hours to do this, long hours.

After trying to readd a few of these 1500 albums, to get the tracks' duration (and the long awaited seeking feature without needing to add files from explorer..), I realized a good share of my flac tracks/albums tags are stored not on the files themselves but in the WMP Metadata library.
I would have been OK with losing my ratings and listening hours habitudes (two sets of data which have been stored in WMP Metadata library and seem to be lost when I remove the music from the library to readd it).. But to re-tag all these albums just to get the tracks' duration and seeking is downright crazy.

So is there any fancy way to do the following:
- Foreach Track
A/ Read all metadata from WMP Metadata library *but* its duration
B/ Read the duration with WMP Tag Plus
C/ Mix both

If there ain't, well, the plugin will certainly prove great for new albums, but useless for most of what I listen to, which has already been added to my library.

Thanks for your time and consideration :-)

Reply #163
Are there any plans for x64 version? I don't like converting all flac to 320kbps mp3.

I know i can use 32 bit version of WMP on x64 win7, but i can't use 32bit verison of wmc

Reply #164
Are there any plans for x64 version? I don't like converting all flac to 320kbps mp3.

I know i can use 32 bit version of WMP on x64 win7, but i can't use 32bit verison of wmc

You just have to run 32-bit WMP when you add new music to let it update the music library (it is shared with WMC).

Reply #165
- Foreach Track
C/ Mix both

You can use Metadata Backup to back up all the existing metadata, then re-add the files to library to get their duration, and then use Metadata Backup again to restore the metadata. Before re-adding the files, check if the XML file created by Metadata Backup contains all your metadata, just in case.

No, there aren't any plans for this. WMP Tag Plus is a plug-in for WMP only, so it won't work in Windows Media Center anyway.

Reply #166
Well windows media center uses windows media player so it does work with it even now

Reply #167
- Foreach Track
C/ Mix both

You can use Metadata Backup to back up all the existing metadata, then re-add the files to library to get their duration, and then use Metadata Backup again to restore the metadata. Before re-adding the files, check if the XML file created by Metadata Backup contains all your metadata, just in case.

It worked, thanks. Still I lost all album images in the process, but it's only 1500 operations to go, so that's OK to me. Two to three hours' work to know you own 317 hours of music is worth it

Thanks for the heads up.

Reply #168
On Windows 7 x64, WMP Tag Plus's options window sometimes pops up when I start media player, usually when I'm opening a .avi or .mkv video file.  I'm also using the CCCP.  Is there anything I can do to keep it from coming up?

Reply #169
You can fix this with a simple registry edit: launch Regedit, navigate to HKEY_LOCAL_MACHINE\SOFTWARE\Microsoft\MediaPlayer\UIPlugins\{5FA68D2D-062E-4C61-856D-53B388F9FA16}, and change the Capabilities value to "c0000001".

What probably happens here is that the x64 version of WMP or Windows Media Center was used. These programs reset the 'settings' of 32-bit-only plug-ins. On the next launch of the 32-bit WMP, it has 'forgotten' that the plug-in properties were already shown earlier, and shows them again.

Alternatively, you can install Windows Media Player Plus!. The installer of this plug-in will add a patch that fixes this problem for all plug-ins, not just WMP Tag Plus.

Reply #170
Hmm...  That key doesn't exist on my computer.  I even did a search for the Guid and nothing came up.  None of the keys in that section have a FriendlyName that looks anything like WMP Tag Plus either. Anyways, I'm trying out WMP Plus right now.  I'll post again if that doesn't work.  Thanks!

By the way, the navigation bar on your site is acting very strangely in Opera 10.6.  It appears to be refreshing as fast as Opera can refresh it, and since that is quite fast, it becomes sort of a strobe light.    If I tell Opera to identify as Firefox, it stops, so it looks like the javascript on the frame is looking for Opera and giving it something it doesn't like.

Reply #171
Hmm...  That key doesn't exist on my computer.  I even did a search for the Guid and nothing came up.  None of the keys in that section have a FriendlyName that looks anything like WMP Tag Plus either. Anyways, I'm trying out WMP Plus right now.  I'll post again if that doesn't work.  Thanks!

D'oh, looks like I posted the WMP Plus! registry key instead, and didn't take x64 into account, sorry. Here's the correct key: HKEY_LOCAL_MACHINE\SOFTWARE\Wow6432Node\Microsoft\MediaPlayer\UIPlugins\{CBD7AB87-2A5A-4466-B31E-61D9A782D6AA}

By the way, the navigation bar on your site is acting very strangely in Opera 10.6.  It appears to be refreshing as fast as Opera can refresh it, and since that is quite fast, it becomes sort of a strobe light.    If I tell Opera to identify as Firefox, it stops, so it looks like the javascript on the frame is looking for Opera and giving it something it doesn't like.

Thanks for pointing that out, I'll look into it. Until it is fixed, you can use the non-frames version of the website.

Reply #172
As you mentioned on the WMP+ thread, my request for the ability to manage video tags is more a Tag+ issue, as it is included as part of WMP+. So, I'm just crossposting to say that it'd be pretty useful to have the ability to do tag editing on videos and files that WMP sticks in "Other Media" -- especially if there's a way to move files from Other Media to the other libraries without having to delete from library and re-add (which maybe works 10% of the time anyway).

I know it'd be no small project, especially since there are different metadata requirements for video than for audio, but it'd certainly make life easier for those of us who have videos in a wide variety of container formats.

Reply #173
Tim, have you made any progress on beating WMP12 in to submission so that your plug-in can read tags in Apple Lossless files and allow WMP12 to add Apple Lossless files correctly to the music library?

For what it's worth, I have now found that if one downgrades Windows7 to have WMP11 rather than WMP12 your plugin will of course work (since it worked with WMP11 in Vista) and WMP11 will then let you add Apple Lossless to the music library as intended.

What I have not established yet, is if Media Center in Windows7 is upset by all this, and also whether this might break support for H.264.

Obviously the preferred option would be to retain WMP12.

This page http://www.winmatrix.com/forums/index.php?...-for-windows-7/ describes how to downgrade to WMP11 - DO AT YOUR OWN RISK!

Reply #174
No sorry, I'm busy with Windows Media Player Plus! 2.0 at the moment. When that is finished, I'll probably start working on WMP Tag Plus 2.0, and then I'll also check if this can be worked around.

Downgrading WMP 12 on Windows 7 is pretty dangerous; I frequently see posts on WMP forums of users that have tried this and have broken their WMP installation this way. When that has happened, the only solution seems to be a full Windows reinstall. It's generally much easier and safer to install WMP 11 in Windows 7's (virtualized) XP Mode instead.

Also, Windows 7 SP1 Beta will be released soon, which means that there will be the possibility to provide feedback. I think that it will be worth trying to report this bug, to make Microsoft aware of it (sadly, this isn't the only bug with WMP 12 that needs to be reported).