Skip to main content

Notice

Please note that most of the software linked on this forum is likely to be safe to use. If you are unsure, feel free to ask in the relevant topics, or send a private message to an administrator or moderator. To help curb the problems of false positives, or in the event that you do find actual malware, you can contribute through the article linked here.
Topic: Naming convention for remastered CDs? (Read 3199 times) previous topic - next topic

Naming convention for remastered CDs?

I recently purchased Michael Jackson's Dangerous: Special Edition. As usual, I made a backup using EAC, but here's the problem. For my naming convention, I set it to this:

Code: [Select]
Artist:
%A\%Y - %C\%A - %N - %T

which means I'll get:
Code: [Select]
Michael Jackson\2001 - Dangerous - Special Edition...

Thing is I know this is a remastered CD, and the original album was released in 1991, but naming it to "1991 - Dangerous - Special Edition" is a bit misleading since there was no special edition released in 1991. I want to use the original date but also make sure I realise the version I have is a different edition.

So, I'm really stuck right now. I want to organise my files so I know when the albums were originally released. Michael Jackson has four 2001 "Special Edition" albums too: Off The Wall, Thriller, Bad, Dangerous as well as his actual 2001 album: Invincible.

Reply #1
Welcome to the conundrum of dates and reissues/remasters. I have thought a lot about it (not file naming, but date tagging) and haven't come up with any satisfactory answer. While I know the easy answer is to just use the date of the remaster, I always feel let down seeing (for example) the year 2003 next to "The Beatles."

Because I like to use date ranges in queries to come up with playlists, it becomes an issue for me. Greatest hits and best-of compilations do too. I think the only solution is to use the actual release date of the particular album and live with it. Otherwise you could be researching dates and tagging forever!

Reply #2
It's a simple fix. Name the CD in EAC to include Remastered in the name, e.g.;
Dangerous: Special Edition (Remastered)
or
Dangerous: Special Edition (2001 Remastered Version)

You could do the same at the end of the track names.

Reply #3
It's a simple fix. Name the CD in EAC to include Remastered in the name, e.g.;
Dangerous: Special Edition (Remastered)
or
Dangerous: Special Edition (2001 Remastered Version)

You could do the same at the end of the track names.
[a href="index.php?act=findpost&pid=367889"][{POST_SNAPBACK}][/a]

Second that. This is the approach that have given me most consistent results, after trying some.

Reply #4
I'm currently using:
date - year of the first release
title - with remaster-reference in square brackets  [Remastered year]
e.g. Swanlike [Remastered 2004]

Reply #5
I add something like "[2003 remaster]" to the folder name, use "original release date / new release date" date format and add further information in the comment field. Works for me.