Skip to main content

Notice

Please note that most of the software linked on this forum is likely to be safe to use. If you are unsure, feel free to ask in the relevant topics, or send a private message to an administrator or moderator. To help curb the problems of false positives, or in the event that you do find actual malware, you can contribute through the article linked here.
Topic: Screen Saver prevented by foobar2000 (Read 1782 times) previous topic - next topic

Screen Saver prevented by foobar2000

Hello,

My name is João Costa and I live at the Azores islands, which belongs to Portugal, and I send my regards to everyone here.

I use Foobar2000 for many years, and have tweaked with many cool things. Presently I'm using it to play music on pc, then this is outputted from USB into a external box which is a USB-to-OPTICAL/SPDIF converter, then, this converter is connected to my Marantz amplifier that has a optical and coaxial digital in using an optical cable, so there is no loss on sound quality, since I'm also using Wasapi output.

Also I use foobar2000 controler from Sergi Mola on my Android smartphone.

But what happens is that when I'm using foobar2000 to play music, being on the laptop or outputted as above mentioned, , the windows won't activate the screen saver or on power options to turn the screen off after some time of inactivity etc, I tried everything, even opening foobar2000, letting then the windows go into this screen saver mode, then on android phone with the foobar2000 controller app and pressing play, and as from this point, the screen saver stops, this is annoying because with the screen on, it drains my laptop battery much faster, is there a way to play music with foobar2000 without it interrupting the saver mode on the computer? I tried minimised, and the behaviour is the same.

Your help on this would be very much appreciated, thank you.

Greetings,
João Costa
The World Is Sound!

Re: Screen Saver prevented by foobar2000

Reply #1
Hello,

At File / Preferences / Playback/ uncheck Prevent screensaver & monitor standby when playing
Somewhere, there's someone dying in a foreign land
Meanwhile, the world is crying stupidity of man
Tell me why, tell me why

Reply #2
Note that disabling that option will also stop all playback if you are using any HDMI or DisplayPort outputs for sound. There is no exception to this. Either the monitor is on, or it is not producing any sound.

Reply #3
Hello,

And you are right, I'm using a USB cable, then this cable is connected to a box that is a USB to Optical converter, without this, and using the foobar2000 only within windows, the screen saver works.

Vicas:
At preferences it is unchecked the "prevent...", I had tried this before and checked or unchecked, it doesn't work, so I ask why is that option there? what actually changes because for me, checked or unchecked, does nothing!

Kode54:
So for what I understand really there is no way to work this around?

What about asking Microsoft community? my god, there is nothing that can not be solved, it is very hard for me to understand why this can't be solved...

Thanks

The World Is Sound!

Reply #4
Hello Vicas and Kode54,

I have 2 points I would like your help:

1) After my last message, of which there are no replies, about Windows 10 not going into screen saver when using Foobar2000 with the laptop connected via USB with a cable to an external box that converts USB signal into Optical, a friend of mine with the very same laptop as mine, has changed behaviour when closing lid into "Do Nothing" on battery and on mains, and when he does that, closing the lid, the screen obviously turns off, but Foobar2000 keeps on playing...How is that possible? and how to turn the screen off without closing the lid, but "making" computer think like if it was with the lid closed? Also he went to "what to do when I close the Lid" and selected do nothing, but then the behaviour is different, if not connected via USB to the external converter, it turns the screen black, if connected, it just turns it off for a While, so I believe that the first option with the closed lid that turns it screen off, must work around to make it without closing the lid, maybe pressing some F keyboard or something?

2) Also I have from Sergi Mola's Foobar2000 controller, and before on my previous Android Smartphone, when using this controller and someone called you, it would put the music on pause, and after finishing the call, would re-start playing from same position, the same when I used to make a phone call, not with a new Samsung G5 phone with Android 10, although the settings are the same, when someone calls me, it does not pauses the music, and play it back again upon finishing the phone call, the same when I do a call, so what happened, and how to put this working again, despite the settings are the same? or is there another app outhere that makes the same as Sergis Mola app?

Thank you so much, await your help

Greetings,
J.Costa
The World Is Sound!

Reply #5

ANY HELP PLEASE??
The World Is Sound!

Reply #6
Your question was already answered by Vicas.

Reply #7
Hello Kode54,

I'm sorry, but it has not been answered, I answered what Vicas wrote like this:

Vicas:
At preferences it is unchecked the "prevent...", I had tried this before and checked or unchecked, it doesn't work, so I ask why is that option there? what actually changes because for me, checked or unchecked, does nothing!

And since there, no answer whatsoever...Therefore it is not answered, and Foobar2000 still does the same

I assume that you are unable to assist me, and I believe that there are other members with same problem, is there anyone that can assist me that knows about this?? That gives some technical support??
The World Is Sound!

Reply #8
I'm using a USB cable, then this cable is connected to a box that is a USB to Optical converter, without this, and using the foobar2000 only within windows, the screen saver works.

If it works without usb to optical converter then foobar's settings option works as intended.
Strange but I can only guess that usb to optical converter might be what is preventing screensaver to work. Or there can be other windows settings (apps, usb driver) that prevents it.

Tell me why, tell me why

Reply #9
Dear Vicas,

I also tested with Windows Media Player, and also windows won't go into screen saver when the usb cable is connected to the external converter, without the usb cable, it also goes into screen saver like foobar2000, so what I think is that this is a windows bug or feature?

Any more thoughts how to go around it?
The World Is Sound!

Reply #10
If so, then it is definitely on windows side problem or feature, but I'm sorry I don't know how to help with that.
Tell me why, tell me why