Skip to main content

Notice

Please note that most of the software linked on this forum is likely to be safe to use. If you are unsure, feel free to ask in the relevant topics, or send a private message to an administrator or moderator. To help curb the problems of false positives, or in the event that you do find actual malware, you can contribute through the article linked here.
Topic: foo_dumb (Read 311341 times) previous topic - next topic

Re: foo_dumb

Reply #625
You have ancient bass.dll in your foobar2000 directory. Remove it. You also have other weird stuff going on like component archives in the components dir.
I deleted the both bass.dll and those came with the update. Unsure on the archives.

Getting them directly from http://kode54.foobar2000.org/ dates the 17th of this month so how are they so out of date?

-EPIC EDIT-
Removed the bass.dll from the foobar directory and all is well again, no idea how long that has been in there or why it was in there in the first place. Panic over all is well. Thanks people.

Reply #626
Umm, something broke playback of module blueberr.stm from my "classics" archive. I've searched online and it appears it is a conversion of blueberry.mod (couldn't find any credits). Although it could be vice versa (or multiple conversions), as some copies of the mod have "st-01" in sample names. Anyway, it sounds broken and off key. Maybe some effect doesn't work correctly?
Here's a link to .mod: https://modarchive.org/index.php?request=view_by_moduleid&query=171787 (It sounds correct)
I couldn't find .stm copy anywhere, so had to upload to the first googled filesharing site: http://www.filedropper.com/blueberr
Oh, and I've tried both with and without playptmod checkbox, it's bad anyway (does it even applies for .stm?).
My current foo_dumb is 1.0.160 and I think few months ago there was no problem. I'm not 100% sure, but I couldn't find where to download older versions to test.

I compared the 2 files and there are 2 kind of differences in the STM:
- In the patterns, all notes are given with an associated instrument while in the MOD not (reuses the instrument of the last played note). Assuming that the instruments numbers are correct this should lead to a difference.
- The samples are associated with a frequency of 8484Hz, which is somewhat higher than the 8287Hz (PAL) or 8363Hz (NTSC) associated to Amiga MODs. The sound is thus pitched higher, but its far from a semitone, maybe about a MOD finetune of +1.

For the rest it is just a simple file with only arpeggios as effects, so I doubt foo_dumb played them incorrectly.

Reply #627
I compared the 2 files and there are 2 kind of differences in the STM:
- In the patterns, all notes are given with an associated instrument while in the MOD not (reuses the instrument of the last played note). Assuming that the instruments numbers are correct this should lead to a difference.
- The samples are associated with a frequency of 8484Hz, which is somewhat higher than the 8287Hz (PAL) or 8363Hz (NTSC) associated to Amiga MODs. The sound is thus pitched higher, but its far from a semitone, maybe about a MOD finetune of +1.

For the rest it is just a simple file with only arpeggios as effects, so I doubt foo_dumb played them incorrectly.
But did you actually listened to .mod vs .stm with foo_dumb? The difference in sound is readily noticeable.
Sadly I don't know much about module internals. Last time I did anything in trackers was in the 90s...
I've rechecked with freshly installed portable foobar+foo_dumb, so it's not some artefact of my setup. I also tried to resave the module with some modern tracker, I've tried OpenMPT. It can only save .s3m, not .stm. Module exported to .s3m sounds fine in foobar. So it's almost definitely something .stm specific.
...Okay, apparently I do remember a tiny bit. I've looked at another stm, found a part with arpeggio effect and compared (stm with s3m export). Turns out it's wrong too. Blueberr is just a module where it's most apparent. My guess is something's up with stm-specific realization of arpeggio effect. Maybe some other factor contribute too.

Reply #628
It's a great plugin you created! Thank you!
I've got a question though: What does the option "Enable 3 channel surround output" do exactly?

Reply #630
Thanks for your fast answer! So when playing out to a Dolby Pro Logic decoder I should mark the checkbox "Enable 3 channel surround output" do exactly? BTW why wasn't that option placed in the normal settings window?

Reply #631
Thanks for your fast answer! So when playing out to a Dolby Pro Logic decoder I should mark the checkbox "Enable 3 channel surround output" do exactly? BTW why wasn't that option placed in the normal settings window?
Like I wrote above enabling this option makes only sense if you want to playback PSM modules that make use of the surround effect, for example those which I mentioned in the post I referred to. Permanently enabling this option will lead to inaccurate audio recreation of audio files that do not make use of the described 3-channel-surround-sound-effect.

Reply #632
Ah, got it, thanks again!

Reply #633
No, it relates to *any* module format that uses surround mode. S3M, IT, or PSM. Instead of outputting the surround sound as phase inverted in a stereo signal, it will output all tracks as Front Left, Front Right, Rear Center, and mix appropriately.

Reply #634
Thank you for the clarification and providing further details, Kode54.

Reply #635
Hm, but what is that surround mode supposed to do when creating a module song? It seems not to be related to Dolby Surround, because all the songs I have that claim to contain Dolby Surround information play exactly as expected while I don't have the "Enable 3 channel surround output"-option enabled.

Reply #636
I don't listen to sequenced music formats that often, but Stardust.umx is one of the few in my collection that foo_dumb doesn't want to play.
Thought I'd mention after all this time, because I can't remember foo_dumb ever having played it.

Reply #637
This is fixed now. It's a M.K. MOD inside a UMX, and the "type" field returns a NULL, something else I skipped on.

Reply #638
UMX = Unreal Music eXtension
A music file container of the Unreal Engine (Unreal, Unreal Tournament, Deus-Ex) used for various supported music file formats like MP3, OGG, MOD, S3M, IT, XM.

The original module can be downloaded here: ftp://ftp.modland.com/pub/modules/Protracker/Jester/stardust%20memories.mod

@kode54:
Not sure if it is known and can be easily fixed, but apparently FTP links are currently not supported via BBCode.

Reply #640
Testing: stardust memories.mod

Just reporting a quick fix was just uploaded for non-UMX files that were broken by recent UMX changes.

Reply #642
I'll lodge a feature request with ElkArte, then. I'd rather do that than modify the script in strange ways.

Reply #643
Thank you for looking into this and forwarding the issue to ElkArte.

Reply #644
There's already a separate BBcode tag: [ftp].

Reply #645
There's already a separate BBcode tag: [ ftp ].
I just tried that, at first I could not get it to work. The trick is to omit the closing branch [/ftp]:
[ftp_=ftp url]<some text>
     ^-- exclude underline character
Working FTP link example: [ftp=ftp://ftp.modland.com/pub/modules/Protracker/Jester/stardust%20memories.mod]stardust memories.mod[/ftp]

Maybe you want to add a button to the "Post reply" interface for placing an FTP link?
Thank you for your support! :)

Reply #646
I may add a button, but who uses the buttons anyway? Doesn't everyone want to type BBcode or HTML or XML or virtually any code by hand all the time? I don't even use the full reply page any more, I just type into the quick reply and quick edit boxes.

E: You forgot the close ftp tag. I added it for you.

The syntax is:

Code: [Select]
[ftp=ftp://url]some descriptive text[/ftp]

Reply #647
E: You forgot the close ftp tag. I added it for you.

The syntax is:

Code: [Select]
[ftp=ftp://url]some descriptive text[/ftp]
Like I wrote in my previous post, I did not forget the closing [/ftp]. At the time of writing I had to omit it in order to get the FTP link working. Now when checking the syntax in this post both options appear to work. Just check the examples below:

With closing [/ftp]: [ftp=ftp://ftp.modland.com/pub/modules/Protracker/Jester/stardust%20memories.mod]stardust memories.mod[/ftp]
Without closing [/ftp]: [ftp=ftp://ftp.modland.com/pub/modules/Protracker/Jester/stardust%20memories.mod]stardust memories.mod

I suggested to add a FTP link button to the interface as the [ftp] syntax is not very common. I leave it with you whether to add it.

Doesn't everyone want to type BBcode or HTML or XML or virtually any code by hand all the time?
I agree with that, I do that too. Yet the FTP link issue required an exception.

Thank you for taking your time to check back.

Reply #648
I can call it the deus-ex button, because you'll be the only person to have a use for it.

Reply #649
I don't require such a button for my own usage as I have learned about the existence of the [ftp] tag and its (varying) syntax during the process. Like I already expressed, if you don't feel comfortable with it and think my argument does not have enough weight to justify it then leave it be. I don't ask you to add it for my own comfort but for the convenience of other forum members. I wonder what led you to get my suggestion and intention this wrong.