Skip to main content

Notice

Please note that most of the software linked on this forum is likely to be safe to use. If you are unsure, feel free to ask in the relevant topics, or send a private message to an administrator or moderator. To help curb the problems of false positives, or in the event that you do find actual malware, you can contribute through the article linked here.
Topic: Composer and other missing tags in LAME (Read 8231 times) previous topic - next topic

Composer and other missing tags in LAME

Is there a resource that lists all ID3V2 tags and their LAME command line equivalents?

I'm asking because the Wiki's recommended command line parameters seem to be missing some potentially useful (to me) tags.

The first one is genre, which I found after some (well, lots of) searching. It looks like this for those interested:

--tg "%m"

The other tag I'd like to add is composer. Anyone care to help?

Also, are there any other non-recommended/non-default tags you'd like to share?

Thanks.

P.S. I'm using EAC 0.95b3 with LAME 3.97b1 (just noticed b2 is out, will try layer today)

Reply #1
Well, I have had better response rates 

Let me know if there are better places to ask.

Thanks.

Reply #2
Hi huh-hah,

there are only cmd-line equivalents for ID3V1 tags.

See the output of lame -?

Reply #3
Thanks Sunhillow. No, I haven't checked LAME's output, will do the next rip. But that basically explains it then. I must have missed that part of the documentation 

So how do folks around here add V2 tags?

Reply #4
See one of the numerous "What is your favorite/the best tag editor" here and in General Audio.

Reply #5
the tag switches are in the lame documentation, same for eac.

are you able to add the genre tag for ID3V2 ?
it only gets written for ID3V1 for me. (while using EAC & Lame)

-

Reply #6
So how do folks around here add V2 tags?
[a href="index.php?act=findpost&pid=346781"][{POST_SNAPBACK}][/a]

The GodFather is an awesome tagging program.

Reply #7
are you able to add the genre tag for ID3V2 ?
it only gets written for ID3V1 for me. (while using EAC & Lame)
[a href="index.php?act=findpost&pid=347586"][{POST_SNAPBACK}][/a]

this is the lame command i'm using:

-V 2 --vbr-new --id3v2-only --pad-id3v2 --...

the --tg "%m" comes after all the other parameters. i'm probably a bit confused, but as far as i understand this should add v2 tags and only v2 tags.

clintb, thanks for the tip, but isn't it possible to add more v2 tags with LAME?

Reply #8
clintb, thanks for the tip, but isn't it possible to add more v2 tags with LAME?

I do not think it is possible to have LAME append the composer field even when writing v2.X tags when ripping with EAC because EAC isn't capturing the composer info. EAC is a great program but the interface only captures basic information (the traditional v1.1 tags). This information is available for LAME when LAME writes the v2.x fields but LAME cannot add what it isn't told about.

except I bet maybe you could get it to write blank composer fields (I'd have to check the switches)
"Droplets of Yes and No, in an ocean of Maybe"

Reply #9
I'm using a command line:
Code: [Select]
-V 2 --vbr-new -Y --id3v1-only --ta "%a" --tt "%t" --tl "%g" --ty "%y" --tn "%n" %s %d
...and the resulting MP3's are missing the genre Tag, why? 
Note that I'm using only those from the ID3V1 list of genres!
Sorry for my poor English, I'm trying to get better... ;)
"The greatest trick the Devil ever pulled, was convincing the world he didn't exist."

Reply #10
-V 2 --vbr-new -Y --id3v1-only --ta "%a" --tt "%t" --tl "%g" --ty "%y" --tn "%n" %s %d
[a href="index.php?act=findpost&pid=347959"][{POST_SNAPBACK}][/a]

%m is for genre. Try adding --tg "%m just before %s %d

Reply #11
[{POST_SNAPBACK}][/a]

%m is for genre...
[a href="index.php?act=findpost&pid=348018"][{POST_SNAPBACK}][/a]

Not that I doubt you, but where did you find out that %m is for genre?  I cannot find that documented anywhere on EAC's site.

From the EAC options dialog in the Filename tab, I find that what seems to make the most sense for genre is either %I or %B.  (See this posting
[a href="http://www.hydrogenaudio.org/forums/index.php?showtopic=39462]http://www.hydrogenaudio.org/forums/index....showtopic=39462[/url]
for a related discussion.)

Reply #12
%m is for genre. Try adding --tg "%m just before %s %d
Not that I doubt you, but where did you find out that %m is for genre?  I cannot find that documented anywhere on EAC's site.

From the EAC options dialog in the Filename tab, I find that what seems to make the most sense for genre is either %I or %B.  (See this posting
http://www.hydrogenaudio.org/forums/index....showtopic=39462
for a related discussion.)
I have found this:
%d -t "Artist=%a" -t "Title=%t" -t "Album=%g" -t "Year=%y" -t "Track=%n" -t "Genre=%m" LAME.exe -V 2 --vbr-new %s %d
...on the HA wiki from the configuration of APEv2 Tags.

@ huh-hah: Do I have to try --tg "%m or --tg "%m" ?

Edit: Sorry, I've just found
The first one is genre, which I found after some (well, lots of) searching. It looks like this for those interested:

--tg "%m"
in your first post.
Sorry for my poor English, I'm trying to get better... ;)
"The greatest trick the Devil ever pulled, was convincing the world he didn't exist."

Reply #13
huh-hah wrote..
this is the lame command i'm using:

-V 2 --vbr-new --id3v2-only --pad-id3v2 --...

this is the one am using atm
-V 1 --add-id3v2 --pad-id3v2 --ta "%a" --tt "%t" --tl "%g" --ty "%y" --tn "%n" --tg "%m" --tc "%e" %s %d

- ID3V1 all tags get written properly
- ID3V2  all tags, except the Genre tag, get written.
(using 'ext encoder' & commandline in eac)

if i do the tagging routine through EAC the genre tag for ID3v2 gets written proper

checked tags with mp3utility

captainmidnight wrote..
Not that I doubt you, but where did you find out that %m is for genre? I cannot find that documented anywhere on EAC's site.

its in eac documentation in the EAC folder

-
[edited] just tried from the winxp 'cmd' - same problem

lame.exe -V 2 --add-id 3v2 --pad-id3v2  --tg "blues" --tc "hello" "inputfile" "outputfile"

the id3v1 genre tag got written , the ID3v2 one didn't
comment tag one got written for both q;)

-