Skip to main content

Notice

Please note that most of the software linked on this forum is likely to be safe to use. If you are unsure, feel free to ask in the relevant topics, or send a private message to an administrator or moderator. To help curb the problems of false positives, or in the event that you do find actual malware, you can contribute through the article linked here.
Topic: Moser Baer India CDR blanks? (Read 6523 times) previous topic - next topic

Moser Baer India CDR blanks?

Anyone know the quality of these?  These are on sale at OfficeMax this week.  They are branded Memorex - Made in India.  It's been hard to find TY here now (I bought the last of the Fuji-TY 50 pk's from my local Best Buy).  Recently bought a 100pk of TDK that were horrible CMC disc's.
"You can fight without ever winning, but never win without a fight."  Neil Peart  'Resist'

Reply #1
Anyone know the quality of these?  These are on sale at OfficeMax this week.  They are branded Memorex - Made in India.  It's been hard to find TY here now (I bought the last of the Fuji-TY 50 pk's from my local Best Buy).  Recently bought a 100pk of TDK that were horrible CMC disc's.
[a href="index.php?act=findpost&pid=256601"][{POST_SNAPBACK}][/a]

Are the companies now putting the media codes on the packaging? Otherwise, how do you know the disc manufacturer without buying some first? That would be great if they started to put the manuf. info on the packages. I didn't notice any manuf. info on the last 25-pack of Fuji discs I bought recently, but then again I wasn't looking for it either...

Reply #2
If it is Made In Japan, you can be fairly certain that it is TY.  And, AFAIK, Moser Baer is all that is Made In India.
"You can fight without ever winning, but never win without a fight."  Neil Peart  'Resist'

Reply #3
Anyone know the quality of these?  These are on sale at OfficeMax this week.  They are branded Memorex - Made in India.
[a href="index.php?act=findpost&pid=256601"][{POST_SNAPBACK}][/a]

The quality of Moser Baer discs range from disastrous to good quality media. They have a decent manufacturing facility in India. About a year ago, I bought a 25-disk spindle and burnt my songs onto them. I also bought a spindle of Mitsubishi Super Azo disks and burnt them the same day too. The surprising thing was, the Mitsubishi disks crapped out on me within two months and the Moser Baers still work well.
It is true that Moser Baer is the only company which makes CDRs and DVD+-Rs in India. If it's from India, you can be pretty sure they are from Moser Baer.

Reply #4
It is true that Moser Baer is the only company which makes CDRs and DVD+-Rs in India. If it's from India, you can be pretty sure they are from Moser Baer.
[a href="index.php?act=findpost&pid=256650"][{POST_SNAPBACK}][/a]

Doesn't Amkette also make CDR's in India?

Reply #5
Some Mitsubishi Azo Disc also made in India?

Reply #6
I've had some CMC manufactured discs under various brand names that stated they were made in India.

Reply #7
I wonder if this is just Moser Baer using "re-sold" stampers?

Reply #8
Indian-made discs always seem to have a strong smell like dry cleaning fluid.

Reply #9
dreamliner, visit your local Staples and pick up some Maxell CD-R Pros - they are genuine Taiyo Yudens, with triple-layer scratch protection as a bonus. Alternatively, Newegg now carries bulk TY for under $30/100 pcs.

Reply #10
[a href="index.php?act=findpost&pid=256693"][{POST_SNAPBACK}][/a]

Well, that's useful information.  Thanks for the input.

dreamliner, visit your local Staples and pick up some Maxell CD-R Pros - they are genuine Taiyo Yudens, with triple-layer scratch protection as a bonus. Alternatively, Newegg now carries bulk TY for under $30/100 pcs.
[a href="index.php?act=findpost&pid=256736"][{POST_SNAPBACK}][/a]

Yeah, I just checked newegg, last time I had checked they were sold out of TY.  Also, do you have a link or pic of the Maxell's?  I've never had any luck getting anything but crap with Maxell's

Reply #11
Quote from: dreamliner77,Nov 29 2004, 11:20 PM

Quote from: ffooky,Nov 29 2004, 05:00 AM
[a href="index.php?act=findpost&pid=256693"][{POST_SNAPBACK}][/a]

Well, that's useful information.  Thanks for the input.

The Indian-made discs that I've had were badged as Philips and the ATIP said they were Ritek. I've never had any other Ritek discs with this very distinctive odour. You're quite welcome.

Reply #12
Yeah, I just checked newegg, last time I had checked they were sold out of TY.
[{POST_SNAPBACK}][/a]

Look again: [a href="http://www.newegg.com/app/ViewProductDesc.asp?description=17-172-103&depa=0] Taiyo Yuden CDR 52X 80min Silver/Light Blue 100pack[/url].

Also, do you have a link or pic of the Maxell's?  I've never had any luck getting anything but crap with Maxell's
[{POST_SNAPBACK}][/a]

Here is the jewel case [a href="http://www.maxellus.com/content/pages/Page.asp?Section=Products&Department=datamedia&Line=optical&Product=cdrpro]five-pack [/url] from Maxell's US site and here is the spindle from Staples. Both have the Made in Japan imprints.

Reply #13
media codes on discs should be required by law.  i've lost too much data to crap discs 

though, on an unusual note, all the TDK CMC's i've tried have been pretty good.  nothing spectacular (as expected they don't play in my centuries old technics CD player), but none of them have died on me.

i'm hoping this extends to DVD+R, because i just bought 50 of them 

Reply #14
Yeah, I just checked newegg, last time I had checked they were sold out of TY.
[{POST_SNAPBACK}][/a]

Look again: [a href="http://www.newegg.com/app/ViewProductDesc.asp?description=17-172-103&depa=0] Taiyo Yuden CDR 52X 80min Silver/Light Blue 100pack[/url].

Also, do you have a link or pic of the Maxell's?  I've never had any luck getting anything but crap with Maxell's
[{POST_SNAPBACK}][/a]

Here is the jewel case [a href="http://www.maxellus.com/content/pages/Page.asp?Section=Products&Department=datamedia&Line=optical&Product=cdrpro]five-pack [/url] from Maxell's US site and here is the spindle from Staples. Both have the Made in Japan imprints.
[a href="index.php?act=findpost&pid=256919"][{POST_SNAPBACK}][/a]

Yeah,  I meant that newegg does have them now, but didn't about a week ago when I checked.  And thanks for the pic