Skip to main content

Notice

Please note that most of the software linked on this forum is likely to be safe to use. If you are unsure, feel free to ask in the relevant topics, or send a private message to an administrator or moderator. To help curb the problems of false positives, or in the event that you do find actual malware, you can contribute through the article linked here.
Topic: may I know how setup the default sorting ? (Read 5470 times) previous topic - next topic

may I know how setup the default sorting ?

Hi
I have several components like quicksearch and other

there are no sorting templates in foobar2000 Columns UI , aren't they?

searching around the forum ,I found very old topics

but seeing I use foobar2000 Columns UI  , the sort default is preferences->columns ui->filters->behavior -> sort tracks added when to a playlist by ?
I have
Code: [Select]
%album artist% - %album% - %discnumber% - %tracknumber% - %title%
I mean this rules when i use album list or quick search or drag a bunch of files in foobar2000 ,don't it?

I would like a sort like artist -> album date -> track number and title (song name)

Can you help me with default sorting ?
thanks and take care

Re: may I know how setup the default sorting ?

Reply #1

Preferences -> Advanced -> Standard Sort Patterns

P.S.
Not columns UI-specific, but I think it's what you are looking for.

I'm late

Reply #2

Preferences -> Advanced -> Standard Sort Patterns

P.S.
Not columns UI-specific, but I think it's what you are looking for.
hi @davideleo
I swear I have looked everywhere and around internet , haven't tought it was in adnvaced preferences
I have 
file path=%path_sort%;artist=%artist%|%date%;album=%album%|%discnumber%|%tracknumber%;track number=%discnumber%|%tracknumber%;title=%title%
If i want to change to have artist ,album date onlder to newer (1976-1978-1980)  , tracknumer and title should I change to ..?
%<artist>%|['['%date%']' ]%album%|[%tracknumber%]  - %title%
thanks

Reply #3
Hi there,

the sort default is preferences->columns ui->filters->behavior -> sort tracks added when to a playlist by ?
I have
%album artist% - %album% - %discnumber% - %tracknumber% - %title%
I mean this rules when i use album list or quick search or drag a bunch of files in foobar2000 ,don't it?

I believe that is only default sorting for CUI filters. Other components have their own preferences page, where you'd probably have to edit each one.

I would like a sort like artist -> album date -> track number and title (song name)

For using CUI filters, you could just add %date% to the above -

%album artist% - %date% - %album% - %discnumber% - %tracknumber% - %title%

I have 
file path=%path_sort%;artist=%artist%|%date%;album=%album%|%discnumber%|%tracknumber%;track number=%discnumber%|%tracknumber%;title=%title%
If i want to change to have artist ,album date onlder to newer (1976-1978-1980)  , tracknumer and title should I change to ..?
%<artist>%|['['%date%']' ]%album%|[%tracknumber%]  - %title%
No, it should follow the syntax. This is only for manual sorting from the Edit > Sort menu, or right-click playlist tracks > Sort context menu. Have a look at that menu and you can see the entry for each "template" that is referenced in the settings, each one is separated by semi-colon. So to change Edit > Sort > 'by artist' menu template, modify the artist= part -

artist=%artist%|%date%|%album%|%discnumber%|%tracknumber%|%title%;

Complete entry -
(Preferences > Advanced > Display > Standard Sort Patterns)

file path=%path_sort%;artist=%artist%|%date%|%album%|%discnumber%|%tracknumber%|%title%;album=%album%|%discnumber%|%tracknumber%;track number=%discnumber%|%tracknumber%;title=%title%

(I'm not sure this is necessary, it might sort fine with defaults)

Cheers

Reply #4
hi @anamorphic

for what I have understood
Preferences > Advanced > Display > Standard Sort Patterns
is only for manual sorting ,there is no a default sorting that works with everything , right?
I can't edit the template , can I?
No, it should follow the syntax. This is only for manual sorting from the Edit > Sort menu, or right-click playlist tracks > Sort context menu. Have a look at that menu and you can see the entry for each "template" that is referenced in the settings, each one is separated by semi-colon.

I believe that is only default sorting for CUI filters. Other components have their own preferences page, where you'd probably have to edit each one.
but I haven't found a sort rule for default user interface , I guess it does use the Preferences > Advanced > Display > Standard Sort Patterns
and for colums UI it does use -> colums UI  > >filters->behavior -> sort tracks added when to a playlist by..

do I understood it ? :(  :o
Anamorphic , I really appreicate your help, thank you so much

Reply #5
hi @anamorphic

for what I have understood
Preferences > Advanced > Display > Standard Sort Patterns
is only for manual sorting, there is no a default sorting that works with everything , right?
I can't edit the template , can I?

Hi @francesco , Preferences > Advanced > Display > Standard Sort Patterns affects the entries of the context submenu "sort" (or the edit -> sort menu, as said by anamorphic). which as far as I know is available to all playlist viewers (DUI and CUI). Some playlist viewer components, like EsPlaylist, have a slightly different context menu, but you can always find the "sort" submenu somewhere (in EsPlaylist, for instance, it's in the "operations" submenu).

You can edit the template, you can edit the existing sort patterns or you can add new ones. The name you write on the left-hand side of the equal sign is the name that will be shown in the "sort" submenu.

But the sort command will always have to be run manually from the context or edit menu. From what I gather you are looking for an automatic sorting feature, but I'm not sure I did figure out the usage scenario you're aiming at.
I'm late

Reply #6
hi @anamorphic @davideleo

i have download again the last version of foobar2000 and i performed a portable clean installation
I have added only foo_quicksearch
I have added in the Preferences -> Advanced -> Standard Sort Patterns
file path=%path_sort%;artist=%artist%|%date%|%album%|%discnumber%|%tracknumber%|%title%;album=%album%|%discnumber%|%tracknumber%;track number=%discnumber%|%tracknumber%;title=%title%

how suggested ,but it does not sort like I like
I mean I type on quicksearch camel or yes , and my playlist is not sorted like artist , year album and track numer and title
the albums are sorted random , the sort doesn't respect the year ,for example 1975 , 1978 ,1980 and so on
what's wrong , i have only 1 component installed?
thanks

Reply #7
Hi again, :)

I have added in the Preferences -> Advanced -> Standard Sort Patterns
As mentioned above, this is only for manual sorting. That is, after tracks are sent to playlist, Edit > Sort menu.

Quick Search Toolbar (foo_quicksearch) seems to follow the setting in Preferences > Shell Integration > 'Sort incoming files by'. Try putting %artist%|%date% (etc) in there - that will sort alphabetical by artist first, and date second. Or put %date%|%artist% for completely chronological. (Then make a new search to test)

there is no a default sorting that works with everything , right?
Correct. Every component uses its own preferences. It is a bit of a nuisance. :-X

For default (automatic) sorting -

Album List (DUI) "by tags" view = Preferences > Media Library > Album List > (based on the view pattern)

Album List (DUI) "by folder structure" view = (based on the path / folder structure and filenames)

Facets = Preferences > Media Library > Facets > 'Default sort order'

Columns UI Filters = Preferences > Display > Columns UI > Filters > Behaviour tab > 'Sort tracks...'

Album List Panel (CUI) = Preferences > Media Library > Album List Panel > (based on the view pattern?)

Library Tree (CUI component) = Preferences > Media Library > Library Tree > (double-click view) > 'Sort tracks...'

Library Tree (SMP script) = (right-click) > Panel Properties > (based on view pattern, with $nodisplay function)

EsPlaylist (DUI/CUI) = Preferences > Tools > EsPlaylist > Grouping tab > 'Sort format...'

Windows Explorer = Preferences > Shell Integration > 'Sort incoming files by'

Quick Search Toolbar = Preferences > Shell Integration > 'Sort incoming files by'

Autoplaylists = (include SORT BY at end of query, otherwise uses "Shell Integration" setting by default)

Hopefully that covers it :D
Cheers

Reply #8
Hi @anamorphic
Quick Search Toolbar (foo_quicksearch) seems to follow the setting in Preferences > Shell Integration > 'Sort incoming files by'. Try putting %artist%|%date% (etc) in there - that will sort alphabetical by artist first, and date second. Or put %date%|%artist% for completely chronological. (Then make a new search to test)
works!
thank you so much , really appreciate your help

Reply #9
Every component uses its own preferences. It is a bit of a nuisance. :-X

For default (automatic) sorting -

Album List (DUI) "by tags" view = Preferences > Media Library > Album List > (based on the view pattern)

Album List (DUI) "by folder structure" view = (based on the path / folder structure and filenames)

Facets = Preferences > Media Library > Facets > 'Default sort order'

Columns UI Filters = Preferences > Display > Columns UI > Filters > Behaviour tab > 'Sort tracks...'

Album List Panel (CUI) = Preferences > Media Library > Album List Panel > (based on the view pattern?)

Library Tree (CUI component) = Preferences > Media Library > Library Tree > (double-click view) > 'Sort tracks...'

Library Tree (SMP script) = (right-click) > Panel Properties > (based on view pattern, with $nodisplay function)

EsPlaylist (DUI/CUI) = Preferences > Tools > EsPlaylist > Grouping tab > 'Sort format...'

Windows Explorer = Preferences > Shell Integration > 'Sort incoming files by'

Quick Search Toolbar = Preferences > Shell Integration > 'Sort incoming files by'

Autoplaylists = (include SORT BY at end of query, otherwise uses "Shell Integration" setting by default)

Hopefully that covers it :D
Cheers
Old post, I know but the one thing that seems to be missing from your very helpful comment is how to change the default sort order in Playlist view (default UI)?

I've just made a post here: https://hydrogenaud.io/index.php/topic,123364.0.html.

How do I change the default sort order in Playlist view? Many thanks if you can help.

Cheers.

Reply #10
Playlist Viewer can only do manual sorting. Default / automatic sorting is done by the Library Viewer settings like the ones above.

Reply #11
I'm working with ReFacets in v2.0 (beta 26), and it seems to send tracks to the playlist sorted by their paths. In fact, moving some tracks from a subfolder to the main one for that album corrected that album's sorting.

I've changed the setting in Shell integration -> Sort incoming files to no seeming effect, restart and all. Is there somewhere else to look?

If it's just that ReFacets is still under construction, that's cool. 8)