Skip to main content

Notice

Please note that most of the software linked on this forum is likely to be safe to use. If you are unsure, feel free to ask in the relevant topics, or send a private message to an administrator or moderator. To help curb the problems of false positives, or in the event that you do find actual malware, you can contribute through the article linked here.
Topic: is foobar ever going to be opensource (Read 19293 times) previous topic - next topic

is foobar ever going to be opensource

i just want to know

Reply #1
hell if i know... i consider full opensource (BSD) or at least giving some people here full access to sourcecode.
Microsoft Windows: We can't script here, this is bat country.

Reply #2
do you plan on attacking a linux port?  I havn't programmed enough for linux to attack it myself (if you release the source) but I'm in want of a good linux player.

/*
S0Be
*/

Reply #3
I'd have a go at a linux version if it got open-sourced. Dunno how far I'd get .

Reply #4
I guess I'd help out if I could.  I've got some programming experience, but just never anything of this magnitude.

/*
S0Be
*/

Reply #5
I'm definetly in for a GNU/Linux version, would be exactly the project I need to get started on C++ programming.
According to zZzZzZz it is not impossible, since fb2k is very modular and the core could stay the same.
Small list of things to do for a GNU/Linux Port:
- Replace DirectSound routines with ALSA/OSS or SDL code
- Rewrite the interface in Qt3 or GTK2

dev0
"To understand me, you'll have to swallow a world." Or maybe your words.

Reply #6
since I've played with it a ton, I'd be eligible to attack the also/oss layer, since it IS the easiest part  I dunno about the QT part, I've never done any GUI stuff.

/*
S0Be
*/

EDIT:  Fixed a sssttuttter

Reply #7
What do you think about doing it with SDL?
It could be a good choice regarding porting to ther OSes as well.
I'd definetly prefer a GTK2 GUI, but this is just personal taste.

dev0

Reply #8
like I said, no gui experience here.. as for a cross-platform audio option, I have no clue what that would take.  Is there a standard for /dev/audio?  I guess I could look at the xmms code cuz it'll compile on a friggen toaster.

s0be

Reply #9
AFAIK has an OSS output plugin as well as ones for esound, arts and ALSA (don't know about SDL).
We should just decide on one of them, but I wouldn't want to use esound and arts since they are too much bound to a specific Desktop Environment.
I've heard good things about ALSA and it seems to be the current high-end regarding Linux Audio and will replace OSS in 2.6.

Reply #10
well, alsa is pretty much linux only, but it's great... it's what I use on my system, can be a minor nuiscence to get working in 2.4, but 2.5 supports it great.  Also has FULL oss emulation, so it's got that going for it, which is nice.  But you have to remember, you can't please everyone with a project like this.  This is what the design phase is for, you set the requirements, and then meet them.  Much like the 9x support, and the i18n support, you have to decide before hand what you want it to do, OSS/ALSA sound like a good set of supports.  I can look into the XMMS output plugins to see what it takes.  (IF we even get the opportunity to do this ) 

s0be

Reply #11
Okay I have looked through some of the possibilities that could be used for audio output (arts, SDL and ALSA).
ALSA seems to be the best solution to me and with stock-kernel support coming up in 2.6 it will be available on every GNU/Linux Box soon, so compatibilty shoudln't be a problem. SDL has the nice aspect of being totally OS independent (It could ported to alomst every OS including BeOS/OpenBeOS) and can use the ALSA or OSS sound drivers.
AIf we go for ALSA, a good starting point seems to be Alsaplayer.
dev0

P.S. JACK is another soundserver....

Reply #12
Why bothering with Qt or GTK+ ?
ncurses would be the best ! 
You would not have to start X and it will take even lower resources...
As you always let it in background, no need for a top notch GUI ... 
You could even do a version without any real interface, just commands to add/remove elements to the playlist and play/stop/quit...
It can also be done under Windows...

Reply #13
Why bothering with Qt or GTK+ ?
ncurses would be the best ! ;)
You would not have to start X and it will take even lower resources...
As you always let it in background, no need for a top notch GUI ... :)
You could even do a version without any real interface, just commands to add/remove elements to the playlist and play/stop/quit...

IMHO, this sounds like the best/easiest solution, and holds true to the minimalist approach in the windows version.
zZzZzZzZz noted in another thread that he would look into separating the GUI from the core. Depending on how well this turns out, there is a very good possibility for both the gui-lovers and the text-fanatics (me) to get what they want.
Your idea of a version without any real interface sounds a bit too much like `ed' (THE editor, do a `man ed' first) to me. I prefer that I can at least see what I am doing, like in `vi'. ;-)

Reply #14
for the audio backend, I would suggest SDL because it is much more cross platform than any of the others, hell, it even runs on windows, so an SDL output plugin would be a good idea and an important step toward a linux version.
-Andy

Reply #15
That was what I was thinking when considering SDL.
An ncurses based frontend would lack a lot functions that fb2k users love such as drag and drop capabilities. If you are looking for a good ncurses based player(frontend), you might want to take a look at cplay.

dev0

Reply #16
OH YES... a linux all in one bash player.. that would so rock...

i hate it having to type a different command for mp3 , wav or ogg (mpg123, play, ogg123)

please make this happen... *G*

and seeking in files would be new to me too

Reply #17
OH YES... a linux all in one bash player.. that would so rock...

i hate it having to type a different command for mp3 , wav or ogg (mpg123, play, ogg123)

please make this happen... *G*

and seeking in files would be new to me too

cplay is your friend...

Reply #18
did this go anywhere? I'd love foobar2000 in linux, especially considering that i can finally play with CUE sheets and Monkey's Audio under linux.

Reply #19
No.  Last time I spoke with Peter about, he'd decided against opening the core.  Virtually all of the plugin code has been moved into the SDK, though.

Reply #20
No.  Last time I spoke with Peter about, he'd decided against opening the core.  Virtually all of the plugin code has been moved into the SDK, though.

Heh, at the rate it's going, all the core's going to end up doing is coordinating a mess of plugins by the end of it all. It's nearly that close already. By the end of it all, the core may not even be specialized for music.

What with the SDK openness, at that point, it shouldn't be too hard to completely replace the executable with something else.

Reply #21

Yeah.  It's his project, and I don't see what benefits opening the source would have -- it's great the way it is, to say the least.

Well, except when I drag-dropped my D: onto fb, it scanned 7311 songs, but when I use the scroll bar, it slows down for a minute or two to seek when I seek below 7000 or so.  That was an incredibly stupid thing to do, though, so submitting a bug report would be... well, stupid.  I can still pageup/down and click to navigate if I really wanted all these songs on the playlist (I don't).  Edit: Oh, it's specific files.  If I stop the playlist on certain items, fb can't make anything out of it and goes into some sort of endless loop.  I think.  If I figure out what kind of files they are, I'll say.

Anyway, a *n*x port would certainly be kick-ass, just because of the current disjoined state of *n*x media playback issues (one project, three libraries and a binary for EACH FILE TYPE!  Weee!), which is currently the reason I DON'T use Linux, or anything else (well, besides the fact that I only have one computer and I hate having to configure things, get stuck, write stuff down, then go back and search on Google, only to find that what I searched for is irrelevant...) but that's okay.

But besides porting, I see just about no reason to open the source if Peter doesn't want to.

Wow, this conversation was dug up from awhile ago, huh?

Edit: i teh grammar good!1

Reply #22
I'm just starting to tinker with Linux as a desktop OS, though I've used it as a server for a while now.  One thing for sure about XMMS is that it isn't updated very often.  I understand folks do this stuff in their spare time, and that they don't want to spend every waking hour writing XMMS, but it is still a bummer.

Foobar uses a bunch of LGPL/BSD licensed libs.  I'm no coder, but I wonder how hard it would be to get a command-line version of foobar running under Linux.

LAMIP sounds cool, but its author seems to have disappeared and the web site is down.

- Agent 86

Reply #23
Probably a hassle.  The core is where a lot (most?) of the changes would need to take place.  It wouldn't be a simple transition, I don't believe.

Reply #24
If it ever gets BSD licensed, I might go try to pick up my C skills again, and try to replace the default GUI with some console shell.

foobar# play e:\music\mp3\blah.mp3