Skip to main content

Notice

Please note that most of the software linked on this forum is likely to be safe to use. If you are unsure, feel free to ask in the relevant topics, or send a private message to an administrator or moderator. To help curb the problems of false positives, or in the event that you do find actual malware, you can contribute through the article linked here.
Topic: Which AAC Encoder/Bitrate Should I use? (Read 6490 times) previous topic - next topic

Which AAC Encoder/Bitrate Should I use?

I know bitrate is kinda subjective depending on your hearing capabilities, but I was wondering what audio savy people like HA.Org members are using.

Reply #2
Using for what? DAP? PC playback?
WavPack 5.7.0 -b384hx6cmv / qaac64 2.80 -V 100

Reply #3
My bad. I've got a 60 GB iPod Photo and I'm gonna be transcoding my FLAC files to AAC. I've got Nero 7, Foobar 0.92 and iTunes 4.97.

Reply #5
I don't upgrade to a newer iTunes because I wouldn't be able to use Hymm.

Reply #6
I don't upgrade to a newer iTunes because I wouldn't be able to use Hymm.

Then try the Nero encoder, works with foobar and EAC.
we was young an' full of beans

Reply #7
Nero's AAC Encoder is the best one in AAC codecs. See the list of recommended settings in the AAC General category.

In fact, already low bitrates offer you good quality.

like DARcode wrote, around 128 kbps you get transparent quality. foobar for transcoding is recommended (newest version).

wow 60 gigs
FB2K,APE&LAME

Reply #8
Nero's AAC Encoder is the best one in AAC codecs. See the list of recommended settings in the AAC General category.

The recommend settings are only for Nero AAC, so it would be very surprising to see a different encoder recommended in this topic
There are no evidence for Nero AAC superiority over other competitors like iTunes or Coding Technology. But if you have some, don't keep them for yourself
Wavpack Hybrid: one encoder, one encoding for all scenarios
WavPack -c4.5hx6 (44100Hz & 48000Hz) ≈ 390 kbps + correction file
WavPack -c4hx6 (96000Hz) ≈ 768 kbps + correction file
WavPack -h (SACD & DSD) ≈ 2400 kbps at 2.8224 MHz

Reply #9
I switched back to Nero's old AAC encoder since the new one shortens my songs by 3-5 seconds when palyed by iPod. In a PC environment I don't have such a problem. Weird huh?