Skip to main content

Notice

Please note that most of the software linked on this forum is likely to be safe to use. If you are unsure, feel free to ask in the relevant topics, or send a private message to an administrator or moderator. To help curb the problems of false positives, or in the event that you do find actual malware, you can contribute through the article linked here.
Topic: vorbis-tools 1.3.0 BETA (Read 28492 times) previous topic - next topic

vorbis-tools 1.3.0 BETA

Dear (Ogg) Vorbis fans of HA, I bring you the first third beta release of vorbis-tools 1.3.0.  It has quite a few new features and the final version will have even more, so I am sure it is to everyone's benefit that it gets as much tested as possible so we can do a quick release.

Here's the changelog so far:
 * Fixed an error in configure.ac; --with-speex/flac work again (#1319)
 * Corrected problems in the Visual Studio project files
 * Updated po files from the Translation Project
 * Added new en_GB.po, eo.po, pl.po, sk.po and vi.po translation files
 * Added AC_USE_SYSTEM_EXTENSIONS to configure.ac; no more configure warnings
 * Corrected SUBLANG values in intl/localename.c (#1415)
 * Modify -v to -V on oggenc and oggdec for consistency (#1112)
 * Fix for utf8_decode in Windows; improves behavior in vorbiscomment (#268)
 * ogg123: backported fix from libfishsound to patch the Speex decoder (#1347)
 * ogg123: fixed CPU issue when outputting to a closed pipe (#1357)
 * ogg123: return value to stop decoding after buffer is shut down (#1357)
 * ogg123: support for ReplayGain; requires libvorbis 1.2.1 or later (#381)
 * ogg123: unset non-blocking mode on stderr
 * oggdec: gettextized help text (#1385)
 * oggdec: gettextized all strings
 * oggdec: call ov_open_callbacks instead of ov_open; it works on Windows now
 * oggenc: fixed a core dump while resampling from FLAC (#1316)
 * oggenc: fixed a typo in the Skeleton handling routine
 * oggenc: fixed remapping channels bug (#1326)
 * oggenc: support for WAVE_FORMAT_EXTENSIBLE headers (#1326)
 * oggenc: support for 32 bit Wave files (#1326)
 * oggenc: --ignorelength; support for Wave files > 4 GB (#1326)
 * oggenc: split help text into manageable chunks to help translators (#1385)
 * oggenc: --utf8 command similar to vorbiscomment's --raw (#268)
 * oggenc: fixed the encoding of extended characters in Windows (#268)
 * oggenc: validate raw UTF-8 sent to oggenc (#268)
 * oggenc: include the PID in the RNG seed to get a unique serial (#1432)
 * oggenc: lyrics support using .lrc as source; requires libkate (#1403)
 * ogginfo: support for information in Kate streams (#1360)
 * vcut: 64 bit fixes (#1366)
 * vorbiscomment: correct memory allocation (#472)
 * vorbiscomment: validate raw UTF-8 sent to vorbiscomment (#268)
 * vorbiscomment: fix segfault when using --tag (#1439)

Those numbers at the end (#xxx) are Trac tickets in case you'd like to know more about those issues.

Grab the source code here(¹).  To compile in Windows use Visual Studio or mingw.  To compile in Linux, automake will do.  If you don't want to try to compile for yourself you'll have to ask someone from the community here to do it for you.

Known bugs so far:
 * ogg123 has a status text spamming problem on smaller terminal windows

Features expected to be in the final 1.3.0:
 * Support for multi-line comments in vorbiscomment
 * vcut rewrite and having it enabled by default

(¹) sha1 checksum: abf3a65cce3a18dfb7fe6b10f92f747793a2c535
Join //spreadopenmedia.com to promote Opus, Vorbis, FLAC, etc

vorbis-tools 1.3.0 BETA

Reply #1
replaygain support will be much appreciated  thanks for your efforts

vorbis-tools 1.3.0 BETA

Reply #2
Well, ReplayGain support will be only in the player (i.e. ogg123) which I have never seen compiled for Windows anywhere, so I assume for some reason it doesn't work there, though in theory it should since it only relies on libao and libcurl.  Anyhow, for the casual user this means you will still need to use vorbisgain or foobar2000 to add the RG tags, but ogg123 will know what to do with them now.

I'll be posting new betas in this thread with every new feature that is committed, but don't wait for the final one before trying them, all right?  It is far better to know if the new stuff is causing problems now than later.

P.S: If anyone wants to submit a patch (minor or not) feel free to do so here, or via email if you prefer.

vorbis-tools 1.3.0 BETA

Reply #3
ogginfo: support for information in Kate streams

I was going to say what exactly is Ogg Kate? Judging by what I have read I guessed it's a new system for lyrics, which is really cool!. I always wondered how that would work out. 
budding I.T professional

vorbis-tools 1.3.0 BETA

Reply #4
I was going to say what exactly is Ogg Kate?

Ogg Kate is a new (as in, born in 2008) codec for lyric and subtitles.  Support is already available in ffmpeg2theora and VLC for people who want to use it in video.  Now it comes to music

The source code for libkate is available here.  You need to have it installed in your system to use the ogginfo and oggenc Kate features.

Edit: I assume John Edwards may compile oggdropXPd internally with the library, so the feature may be available easily for everyone.  Only he may confirm.

vorbis-tools 1.3.0 BETA

Reply #5
Edit: I assume John Edwards may compile oggdropXPd internally with the library, so the feature may be available easily for everyone.  Only he may confirm.

He may!!  Unfortunately, I'm not really going to have a chance to look at this until some time next week as I shall be away over the weekend from tomorrow PM.

vorbis-tools 1.3.0 BETA

Reply #6
Ogg Kate is a new (as in, born in 2008) codec for lyric and subtitles. Support is already available in ffmpeg2theora and VLC for people who want to use it in video. Now it comes to music

Not to go off topic, but is anyone aware of whether Theora can scale to HD video yet? Just curious. I know it's a work in progress and some of the new beta releases I have seen are a real improvement in terms of overall video quality. 
budding I.T professional

vorbis-tools 1.3.0 BETA

Reply #7
Not to go off topic, but is anyone aware of whether Theora can scale to HD video yet?

Sure it can and using a quite smaller CPU footprint than the other HD codecs.  The only downside to it is that Theora 1.0 requires a somewhat bigger file size than those to keep up on quality, but if you're dealing with HD content disk space is not really a concern.  Theora 1.1, codename Thusnelda and a work in progress, will bring compression quality similar to H.264, so the file size of HD content by then will be pretty similar to H.264's.

Now back to topic

vorbis-tools 1.3.0 BETA

Reply #8
* oggenc: fixed remapping channels bug (#1326)
* oggenc: support for WAVE_FORMAT_EXTENSIBLE headers (#1326)
* oggenc: support for 32 bit Wave files (#1326)
* oggenc: --ignorelength; support for Wave files > 4 GB (#1326)

Thanks for improve the multichannel support.
I'll try to encode and test in Windows.

vorbis-tools 1.3.0 BETA

Reply #9
Thanks Saoshyant but I have a doubt other people might have too.

The vorbis-tools contain decoder and encoder and you've published fixes in this v1.3.0 beta, but there's no tuning done? Has tuning nothing to do with this vorbis-tools? Is this vorbis-tools an official version or will it be?

I use Aoyumi encoder and wonder what I will gain using vorbis-tools (I only use as source 16-bits wav files extracted from audio CD). I'm confused

vorbis-tools 1.3.0 BETA

Reply #10
Thanks Saoshyant but I have a doubt other people might have too.

The vorbis-tools contain decoder and encoder and you've published fixes in this v1.3.0 beta, but there's no tuning done? Has tuning nothing to do with this vorbis-tools? Is this vorbis-tools an official version or will it be?

I use Aoyumi encoder and wonder what I will gain using vorbis-tools (I only use as source 16-bits wav files extracted from audio CD). I'm confused

aotuv is a tuned version of libvorbis, but this is not libvorbis but vorbis tools 

FYI, you can compile vorbis tools against aotuv and you benefit from both of them

vorbis-tools 1.3.0 BETA

Reply #11
aotuv is a tuned version of libvorbis, but this is not libvorbis but vorbis tools 

FYI, you can compile vorbis tools against aotuv and you benefit from both of them

OK but the Windows encoder doesn't include libvorbis? I still haven't got a clear picture, hopefully somebody can explain a global vision.

There's no mention of vorbis-tools on official Vorbis page and the Rarewares ogg page doesn't clear up which version is the recommended one.

vorbis-tools 1.3.0 BETA

Reply #12
OK but the Windows encoder doesn't include libvorbis? I still haven't got a clear picture, hopefully somebody can explain a global vision.

There's no mention of vorbis-tools on official Vorbis page and the Rarewares ogg page doesn't clear up which version is the recommended one.

an encoder includes the libraries if they are built statically (anyway on linux they are usually built dynamically so the libraries reside separately on the filesystem), otherwise it wouldnt be able to encode

on the official page, you can find oggenc, which is part of vorbis tools

the rarewares libs you can use in an app you develop for example, they are not really useful for individual use

vorbis-tools 1.3.0 BETA

Reply #13
Thanks for improve the multichannel support.

Thank YOU for going through all the trouble to make it happen.

There's no mention of vorbis-tools on official Vorbis page

There is not in that page, mostly because nobody in Windows (see which page you linked to) likes command line tools.  Still, these are the official tools for Vorbis.

Anyhow, I think viktor did a fine job explaining it, but if you still don't understand, aoTuV is a modified libvorbis.  libvorbis (official one or not) may go inside the binaries, say oggdropXPd, but it usually shows in your system directory as libvorbis.dll.

vorbis-tools 1.3.0 BETA

Reply #14
Sure it can and using a quite smaller CPU footprint than the other HD codecs. The only downside to it is that Theora 1.0 requires a somewhat bigger file size than those to keep up on quality, but if you're dealing with HD content disk space is not really a concern. Theora 1.1, codename Thusnelda and a work in progress, will bring compression quality similar to H.264, so the file size of HD content by then will be pretty similar to H.264's.

I just recently figured that out after you had mentioned. I was reading Monty's blog.  I guess he was hired by Red Hat to work on Theora in dedicated sort of way to get it up to snuff. I can't wait to see what it will look like when it's finished. It's good to see that it will finally be competetive rather then stuck in the dark ages. I guess we will have to see what happens though. Back on topic.
budding I.T professional

vorbis-tools 1.3.0 BETA

Reply #15
I was planning to release a new beta today, but I'm having problems with the ReplayGain patch for ogg123.  Oh well.  For those following SVN development, oggdec now works in Windows.  Wooheeee.

I promise you guys one thing: this is going to be the best release of vorbis-tools ever.

vorbis-tools 1.3.0 BETA

Reply #16
is it just me, or is vcut not building or installing with make?

configure is creating the appropriate makefiles, but make isn't doing a make or make install in the vcut dir.  doing this manually is a workaround.

a quick look of the Makefile.am files appeared to be ok...

later

[edit: it is defaulting to disable vcut build.  adding --enable-vcut to configure works fine, but this is different behaviour from 1.2.0, fyi.]

vorbis-tools 1.3.0 BETA

Reply #17
Saoshyant

Is really appreciated the effort your giving with the release of vorbis tools. I would personally like to thank you for working on this new vorbis tools release.

I'd like to ask you something though. How difficult will be to create a kind of windows shell so vista could recognise and display the tag infos that a vorbis file holds?

With "audioshell" software you can view the vorbis file-info on the windows XP when you open a window (like Album, Year, Comment etc) but not on Vista. Is that possible to try and do something similar on Vista? or could this new realease of vorbis-tools be capable of helping someone create something that would allowed that?

vorbis-tools 1.3.0 BETA

Reply #18
it is defaulting to disable vcut build.  adding --enable-vcut to configure works fine, but this is different behaviour from 1.2.0, fyi.

vcut has always been disabled

This will actually change in 1.3.0, if the new rewrite of vcut (you will see it in beta4) is considered stable.

Is really appreciated the effort your giving with the release of vorbis tools. I would personally like to thank you for working on this new vorbis tools release.

I appreciate it.

I'd like to ask you something though. How difficult will be to create a kind of windows shell so vista could recognise and display the tag infos that a vorbis file holds?

I don't know.  I don't know anything about Vista.  I assume it's not complicated for those who do, though.

Is that possible to try and do something similar on Vista? or could this new realease of vorbis-tools be capable of helping someone create something that would allowed that?

Anything is possible, but not in vorbis-tools, which is a package of cross-platform command line tools.  It has nothing specific for Windows, much less something graphical.  Trying to do otherwise would be like hammering a nail in a place that required a screw; so much for your new furniture.

I for one wouldn't mind if Vista users could have Vorbis metadata easily available for them, but it's not something I can help with.  Maybe you can hire someone to do it.

vorbis-tools 1.3.0 BETA

Reply #19
Beta 2 is here.

Changes since last beta:
* New pl.po translation
* oggdec: call ov_open_callbacks instead of ov_open; it works on Windows now
* oggdec: gettextized all strings
* oggenc: include the PID in the RNG seed to get a unique serial (#1432)

Download source package here.

Windows users particularly, please report how oggenc and oggdec are working for you.

vorbis-tools 1.3.0 BETA

Reply #20

Latest libvorbis release are 1.2.0? Does this mean you'll have to check libvorbis out of svn to get that working?
"ONLY THOSE WHO ATTEMPT THE IMPOSSIBLE WILL ACHIEVE THE ABSURD"
        - Oceania Association of Autonomous Astronauts

vorbis-tools 1.3.0 BETA

Reply #21
Latest libvorbis release are 1.2.0? Does this mean you'll have to check libvorbis out of svn to get that working?

Or get one of the two Release Candidates released so far, yeah.  Don't worry about it for the casual user, both the new libvorbis and vorbis-tools will be released at the same time.

vorbis-tools 1.3.0 BETA

Reply #22
Or get one of the two Release Candidates released so far, yeah.  Don't worry about it for the casual user, both the new libvorbis and vorbis-tools will be released at the same time.

Well, I've copiled it against aoTuV beta5.5, which is a patch against Xiph.org libvorbis 1.2.0, so I won't get that for some time then... Well, not so important...
"ONLY THOSE WHO ATTEMPT THE IMPOSSIBLE WILL ACHIEVE THE ABSURD"
        - Oceania Association of Autonomous Astronauts

vorbis-tools 1.3.0 BETA

Reply #23
Guys, if you're not going to give any feedback then there's no point in making these beta releases.

With that said, here's beta3.

What's new in beta3, you ask:
* Updated translations
* ogg123: unset non-blocking mode on stderr
* oggenc: lyrics support using .lrc as source; requires libkate (#1403)
* vorbiscomment: fix segfault when using --tag (#1439)

The big change is, of course, support for encoding lyrics in Vorbis with oggenc.  You'll need libkate to use this feature, though.  And if you want to use the ogg123 ReplayGain feature available since beta2 you'll need libvorbis 1.2.1; here's a link for RC2.

vorbis-tools 1.3.0 BETA

Reply #24
Beta 4 is here.

What's new in beta4, you ask:
* vcut: support for chained streams (#1455)
* vorbiscomment: round-trip multi-line comments (#273)

vcut was rewritten and building is now enabled by default.  vorbiscomment can create mult-line comments by using the switch -e and adding a "\n" to wherever you want the line to break.

Happy new year.