Skip to main content

Notice

Please note that most of the software linked on this forum is likely to be safe to use. If you are unsure, feel free to ask in the relevant topics, or send a private message to an administrator or moderator. To help curb the problems of false positives, or in the event that you do find actual malware, you can contribute through the article linked here.
Topic: EXACT AUDIO COPY 1.3 CRASHES -ACCESS ERROR VIOLATION UNHANDLED EXCEPTION (Read 7413 times) previous topic - next topic

EXACT AUDIO COPY 1.3 CRASHES -ACCESS ERROR VIOLATION UNHANDLED EXCEPTION

Hi all....
I have been using EAC for years on Windows 7 - uneventfully. When my PC died a painful death, I was forced over to Windows 10 - the new laptops only came with Windows 10 (and no drivers were available for Windows 7). So I was exceedingly frustrated to find that EAC dd not work on my BRAND NEW Windows 10 OS. I had an essentially fresh slate/ new system....yet EAC would not run.  I finally found the following solution...I hope it helps those of you who find yourself in my shoes. (I swear I was almost bald by the time I got to this point....I don't have any hair left to pull out.)
*NB I have uploaded the requisite file here so anyone that needs it can just click /download.
]
PROBLEM:
Exact Audio Copy 1.3 (EAC1.3) on Windows 10 Professional 64-bit: Crashes and will not start
- Many popups - message boxes read "Unhandled exception" "Access Error Violation at <insert # here>". A number of error boxes mention "ASPIProc2570".

SOLUTION:
- Download wnaspi32.dll (attached here)
- copy it to Windows\System32
- copy it to Windows\sysWOW64 AS WELL - if you have a 64-bit OS
- reboot PC
- try running EAC now. It should work.
NOTE: EAC's website insists that wnaspi32.dll is not required as of EAC version 1.1 - that is apparently incorrect. I had a heck of a time trying to resolve the problem - because I believed them, I tried EVERYTHING else I could think of first. I almost did NOT try inserting wnaspi32.dll...it was a last-ditch effort, before discarding EAC entirely.

DETAILS:
Here are the things I tried prior to finding the above solution:
I tried numerous things, including but not limited to:
- deleted Codecs/ installed K-Lite codec pack
- removed other audio software, closed other programs, cleared the temp files/cache,
- changed to another account (attempted to run EAC there),
-created another (new) account and attempted to run EAC in this account
- ran EAC as administrator,
- uninstalled EAC/re-installed EAC1.1,
- uninstalled EAC/removed registry settings/re-installed EAC,
- re-installed EAC as administrator,
- ran EAC with various compatibility settings (Windows XP Service pack 1.3, Windows 7, etc), ran EAC as Administrator
NOTHING WORKED!

I then downloaded wnaspi32.dll from another website and placed it in Windows\syswow64, rebooted and ran EAC. No dice.
(There were fewer message boxes -  this time, they all read Access Error Violation" and cited "ASPIProc2570".) I figured maybe I was getting somewhere. I copied wnaspi32.dll to Windows\System32 AS WELL. and then rebooted and tried running EAC again.

THIS TIME IT WORKED!!

CONCLUSION:
So for everyone else /anyone else who runs into this AGGRAVATING problem....try this solution. I hope it will save you some time.

NOTE: EAC's website insists that as of version 1.1, EAC does NOT require wnaspi32.dll. That is obviously incorrect. So ....I am uploading wnaspi32.dll here for those of you that need it.  Ignore EAC. They apparently don't know their own software.

click below to download wnaspi32.dll - in .7z file (*the forum link would not allow the attachment to be uploaded here)
wnaspi32.7z
-or-
wnaspi32.7z -  65 KB

FILE HASH FOR VERIFICATION:
CRC32: EC0EC952
MD5: 83F388EB0C94B34A1FBF07FD35AFA7A7
SHA-1: 669C7528E48BAAAAA893A37201A3ED57B752E72E

Re: EXACT AUDIO COPY 1.3 CRASHES -ACCESS ERROR VIOLATION UNHANDLED EXCEPTION

Reply #1
I'm running 64-bit Windows 10 Home
My error says Unhandled exception at 63C4AEA0 -> ACCESS_VIOLATION

I tried placing wnaspi32.dll in both locations you have mentioned and also in the EAC directory (plus rebooting), but I still get the same error. I had been using EAC on my machine for years with no problems, then yesterday I started getting these errors. Here are other things I have tried without success:

-uninstalling EAC 1.3 and reinstalling EAC 1.5
-installing in the root directory
-unchecking CDRDAO during install so as to not install it (saw in another forum's thread that it could cause problems)
-searched my system for CDDB.sdf file (doesn't exist)
-running EAC as Administrator
-running EAC in compatibility mode

I'm fresh out of ideas. Does anyone know something else I could try?

Reply #2
https://web.archive.org/web/20180410020208/http://www.digital-inn.de/threads/for-all-problems-read-first.21148/
Did you install any new software?
see 4 5 6
https://web.archive.org/web/20180410020137/http://www.digital-inn.de/threads/access-violation-error-upon-start-win8.43637/#post-160184
The HA threads linked further down are (in case you wanted to see what they were but I'm not suggesting they will be helpful)
https://hydrogenaud.io/index.php?topic=99803.0
https://hydrogenaud.io/index.php?msg=827380

edit: rclone also conflicts with EAC
korth

Reply #3
Appreciate the response!

I haven't installed any software recently. The only thing installed on my machine between my last successful EAC use (4/25/2020) and today are windows updates and a google chrome update. I backed out all of the windows updates that I could and uninstalled google chrome, but still get the error.

I don't have Adobe Drive, TortoiseSVN or TortoiseGit installed. I also do not have an apostrophe in my Windows user account name.

I've already tried deleting the registry keys for EAC and reinstalling. This is driving me crazy! I've been an EAC user for 10+ years and don't really feel like switching!

Reply #4
There were some Definition Updates for Windows Defender installed (Security Intelligence Update for Windows Defender Antivirus - KB2267602) in there, but I don't think I have the ability to uninstall them?

Reply #5
Doubt it was the Security Intelligence Update.
You said there wasn't a CDDB.sdf file in %appdata%\EAC (folder may be hidden)?
korth

Reply #6
I previously searched for CDDB.sdf and remember the search coming up empty, but I just looked in AppData/Roaming/EAC and there is a CDDB.sdf file. I noticed it has a last modified date of 4/25/2020 so I'm guessing it didn't get deleted when I uninstalled EAC and reinstalled? Is there something I can try doing with this file?

Reply #7
I just cut and pasted the CDDB.sdf file into another location and opened EAC and it worked! So am I to assume that my CDDB.sdf file was corrupt?

And what is this CDDB.sdf file? Does it contain all the track metadata from the discs that I've already inserted into my machine?

Reply #8
Database file. You can view using Database > Browse Database
Yes it contains metadata plus possibly some extended data from rips.
And yes a corrupt database file can cause an Unhandled exception - Access Violation
The %appdata%\EAC folder and content are not deleted when EAC is uninstalled.
The %appdata%\AccurateRip folder and content are not deleted when EAC is uninstalled.
The registry keys are not deleted when EAC is uninstalled.
korth

Reply #9
Well, that was definitely the culprit because I swapped it back in and tried to open EAC and got the error again. So something must have happened to that database file. I'm just glad to be able to rip again  ;D

Thank you for the help!